GPS Purchase in Australia

Guest wolfey

Can anyone share their experiences of purchasing a GPS in Melbourne, Australia?

I guess I?ll be up for at least A$300 for a basic model such as eTrex or Magellan 310 etc.

As far as I can tell amazon.com don?t ship stuff like that o/s.

I don't see why Amazon & co wouldnt send it overseas... its a "Global" positioning system, not a USAPS (although sometimes I wonder)

I got mine from overseas (its an attachment for my Palm Vx)

Zaph

I have decided not to purchase a GPS online because of the crap rate to the US.

I had a look in a few local places -Northlands and Greensborough. They only had Magellan. I'm looking to get a Garmin eTrex. I'm going to the city soon any recommendations of shops to go to?

GPS Purchase in Australia

While I was in the States recently I purchased my eTrex for $AUD220. This was not the best price but it was the most convenient. You can get it for less over the internet. Use google and follow the link to the "eTrex price comparison" that pops up. I have had some correspondence with both GME and also Garmin in the States. Here's the result.

The basic eTrex model has nothing specifically Australian in it (the eTrex Vista & Summit has the Australian base map). By the way, you cannot buy the "Australian" Summit/Vista from the States nor can you request that they specifically order the Aus version. You can only officially source the Australian version from Australian suppliers. Also, if you do buy your unit O/S a $44 handling fee is charged by GME (Australian importers) for repairs during warranty.

The reason for contacting these companies was trying to avoid the excessive prices being charged in Australia.

eg:

eTrex from USA $110 = AUD $220

eTrex from AUS AUD $445

eTrex Vista from USA $300 = AUD $600

eTrex Vista from AUS $1200

Roughly twice the price.

You make a very good point.

I found these comparisons for the etrex:

http://bizrate.com/Garmin_GPS_eTrex_GPS__cat_id--11210000,prod_id--5000470,de_id--325,pos--2.html

It shows amazon has the lowest price at US$99, this converts to AU$177, which is much different to the lowest Australian price I have found at $299 at Johnny Appleseed. Of course, I haven't included any shipping fees.

Unfortunately Amazon don't ship electronic goods to Australia though, and as I'm not venturing to America anytime soon, I'm not sure how to go about getting a GPS from America...

Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to save $'s if possible.

I would also prefer to get the garmin venture. When coverting Amazon's price to Australian dollars it's about $270 Australian dollars. Still less than the etrex in Australia for $299, which I was prepared to pay.

quote:
Originally posted by disy:

I'm not sure how to go about getting a GPS from America...

Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to save $'s if possible.

The best way would be to go into the geocaching chat room and talk to people on there. I know of 2 or 3 very genuine people (Kablooey for example) who are very helpful to us aussies. I am having a Magellan 315 sent over soon from map330x.

I'm in there a lot and can help you with your discussions with these guys.

"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it." Pooh

As a retailer of GPS (Magellan & MLR) I can assure you that high prices in Australia are not due to high retail margins. The margin on GPS gear is significantly less than that on books, maps, software & travel guides. I suspect this is largely due to being a small market on the end of a long distribution chain.

Just be aware when buying overseas that the maps and databases contained in the GPS receivers will not have much Australian data loaded. (embi - let me know if your American Mag315 has Ballarat in it, my Australian one does)

PS Value for money have a serious look at the MLR brand SP24 model - almost as capable as Mag315 and retails for only $A375. Contact me if you want to know more alex@cartographics.com.au

i agree with previous posts re rip off pricing of units in Australia. i assume this is due to GME being the sole australian importer and stacking on a huge markup.

I have just taken delivery of my Garmin Vista, cables and worldmap from www.safetracgps.com

Geofferey was great to deal with, honest and helpful. he downvalued the package and labeled it as a gift thus reducing the amount of tax i paid. If your unit costs less than AU400 you probably wont pay any tax!

in the end, it cost me about $890 landed in australia, compared to the best price i could get in Australia of >$1450.

Aussiegoldminer

hi all,

i went ahead and purchased the garmin etrex. i am for sure going out to find my first geocache this weekend.

i rang around a whole bunch of places to try to get a good price.

johnny appleseed sent me a really good email, but when i spoke to them on the phone, they weren't so pleasant. i think the lady i spoke to was having a bad hair day. she wasn't willing to negotiate a better price than $299 at all.

michael at olbis at ipswich rd, rocklea was very helpful. i got it for $299 plus a free case. he also checked for any updates while i was in the store (i asked him to). he also explained about different datums, etc. and was generally very helpful.

interestingly enough even brisbane carsound now have the garmin etrex, but their best price is $329. i talked them down a bit and they said they could do it for $303, which is their cost price.

a few other retailers said they couldn't even buy it for $299.

i would've liked to pay a lot less and get it from the US, but when you add US$40 shipping on top of the unit (what some places were asking), plus the possibility of tax when it comes into the country, plus the risk, i thought it was better to go somewhere local.

thanks for your help and i'm very excited to go and find my first geocache this weekend icon_smile.gif)

d.

hi all,

i went ahead and purchased the garmin etrex. i am for sure going out to find my first geocache this weekend.

i rang around a whole bunch of places to try to get a good price.

johnny appleseed sent me a really good email, but when i spoke to them on the phone, they weren't so pleasant. i think the lady i spoke to was having a bad hair day. she wasn't willing to negotiate a better price than $299 at all.

michael at olbis at ipswich rd, rocklea was very helpful. i got it for $299 plus a free case. he also checked for any updates while i was in the store (i asked him to). he also explained about different datums, etc. and was generally very helpful.

interestingly enough even brisbane carsound now have the garmin etrex, but their best price is $329. i talked them down a bit and they said they could do it for $303, which is their cost price.

a few other retailers said they couldn't even buy it for $299.

i would've liked to pay a lot less and get it from the US, but when you add US$40 shipping on top of the unit (what some places were asking), plus the possibility of tax when it comes into the country, plus the risk, i thought it was better to go somewhere local.

thanks for your help and i'm very excited to go and find my first geocache this weekend icon_smile.gif)

d.

I had an interesting conversation with the Sales person at Paddy Pallin. They are currently selling the eTrex for $459. He told me that they are selling "so many at this price that there is no need to offer a discount" !

(Hmm I wonder who's buying them)

hehe, that's great, there's even an opportunity there for us to go into business with a nice profit margin. if we can buy them for $299 then sell them for $459, it's a nice day's work icon_wink.gif

i wonder if he's thought about the concept of dropping the price more, then selling more, then making more profit!?

d.

hehe, that's great, there's even an opportunity there for us to go into business with a nice profit margin. if we can buy them for $299 then sell them for $459, it's a nice day's work icon_wink.gif

i wonder if he's thought about the concept of dropping the price more, then selling more, then making more profit!?

d.

Along the same lines as this discussion - I'm looking for a Meridian. I intend to buy from the US, for cost reasons. I visited the safetracgps.com site (mentioned above) and found they only sell Garmin. I'm hoping to find someone as helpful who sells Magellan.

Any experiences?

What are we paying on import duties? Is it GST?

True, safetracgps don't sell Magellan so you will have to find a retailer yourself, but if you go for one of the smaller sellers, you can get them to hide the invoice deep inside the box, label it as a gift and thus you won't pay tax on the first AU200. There is an import duty of about AU60 plust gst on the amount above AU200. Shipping from the US cost me about AU60. Whatever way you do the sums, it is still cheaper to import it, especially for the more expensive units!

The Meridian Platinum is loaded with the Australian basemap in Australia before being distributed to retailers.

I recently got a quote from the importer to convert the firmware of a Platinum purchased from outside of Australia, to the Australian basemap for $299.

I have been considering purchasing the Vista from the USA (I guess it would be the same for the Meridian) and then loading the Australian maps onto the unit. If you need detail maps then the only way to do it will be to purchase the Aussie CD whether or not the unit contains the base map.

I'd be quite happy to import the unit, use its features (like the compass, positioning, elevation) without the need for the basemap. If I then require the maps, I'll purchase the CD (which I would have to do anyway, whether or not the local basemap was stored on the unit.)

I purchased my Garmin Legend from Electric Bug in Adelaide whilst on a Sydney/Perth trip. Probably paid top dollar for it but the advice from those guys was invaluable. Remember if buying a base map model from overseas you need to also purchase the world map to give you base map back home.

I picked up my basic etrex for 240$AU brand new at a boating store! Im not sure if they still sell them at this price but I can find out, my local ARB 4x4 shop say they cant even buy them at this price.

I get my assessories from ebay, I bought a combo cable (power and data) for 15.95$US and shipping was 11$ I think a lot cheaper than what I have seen over here. I have two more of these on the way.

If anyone wants any more info drop me a email daveaus@iinet.net.au

Regards,

Dave