What can be put in a cache?

jpogan

I'm new at this, I've found 12 caches so far.  My question is, I know some trinkets and other stuff are left in some caches and I was wondering if a dollar bill with "Where's George" stamped on it is allowed as an item that can be left in a cache?  For those who don't know what "Where's George" is, it's an online game where you stamp a dollar bill with the logo "Where's George" and then if someone registers it you can keep track on where it goes.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
46 minutes ago, jpogan said:

I'm new at this, I've found 12 caches so far.  My question is, I know some trinkets and other stuff are left in some caches and I was wondering if a dollar bill with "Where's George" stamped on it is allowed as an item that can be left in a cache?  For those who don't know what "Where's George" is, it's an online game where you stamp a dollar bill with the logo "Where's George" and then if someone registers it you can keep track on where it goes.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/108361-wheres-george-hates-geocaching/

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Lot's of Where's George in caches early on. Overlap of internet geekiness between geocaching and the notion of physically tracking dollars online.

As others have posted, Geocaching has no issue with cash in caches, but Where's George feels that the normal flow is of dollars is badly distorted by geocaching. 

21 hours ago, jpogan said:

Now you know...  :)   

If I found one now (and we found many years ago...), realizing "hank", the person with an attitude who was upset that money they stamped was being "mistreated" in some odd way, I'd save them, and they'd never be in that "other" use again.  They don't belong to him...

We started using Sacajawea and Susan B dollar coins ever since.  Kids like 'em a lot.

20 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I didn't realize Where's George was still a thing.

Yep. Seems paper money itself is not much of a thing these days in the US.

Though this past week, we did patronize not one, but two, establishments in New York City that only accepted cash. McSorley's gets a pass because, well, McSorley's. The other place I suppose just doesn't like credit card fees.

Welcome @jpogan ! 
I have one thing to say that I keep meaning to put in the forums... please never ever ever put food/edible items in a cache! (I also object to liquids, personally, i.e. bubble making stuff.)

I am often surprised at the food I have to take out of caches... sometimes it is really gross. Admittedly mostly candy but a hot location = a melted mess. Plus who's gonna eat it?!  :wacko:

I also find it weird when I see things like mini soaps or lotions... but that's maybe just me?

I do see money in caches, coins and dollar bills, I leave it for someone else. Never seen the Where's George thing.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, CCFwasG said:

Welcome @jpogan ! 
I have one thing to say that I keep meaning to put in the forums... please never ever ever put food/edible items in a cache! (I also object to liquids, personally, i.e. bubble making stuff.)

I am often surprised at the food I have to take out of caches... sometimes it is really gross. Admittedly mostly candy but a hot location = a melted mess. Plus who's gonna eat it?!  :wacko:

I also find it weird when I see things like mini soaps or lotions... but that's maybe just me?

I do see money in caches, coins and dollar bills, I leave it for someone else. Never seen the Where's George thing.

Not to mention nothing worse than a cache full of ants.

Besides no parent is ever, I mean ever,  going to let their kids eat ANYTHING from a cache.  

Ignore the grossness factor. Not worth the risk. I grew up in the age of never taking anything from stranger specially candy. No offense.

Edited by MNTA
  • Upvote 1