Postal Regulations

gnbrotz

Does anyone know why I might be prohibited from mailing currency from the U.S. to a fellow cacher in Australia? icon_confused.gif

I was checking out rates to do just this and found a "Prohibition" on: Coins; bank notes; currency notes (paper money); securities of any kind payable to bearer; traveler's checks; platinum, gold, and silver (manufactured or not); precious stones; jewelry; and other valuable articles as well as other things which wouldn't apply to this transaction.

I'm assuming it's Australia trying to keep these items out, rather than the U.S. trying to keep them in; but, I guess I could be wrong.

I wonder what the penalty is if I do it and get caught? Is international mail x-rayed?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

It is illegal in most countries to mail cach itself.

Give it a try if you like, but it has a 90% + chance of arriving as an empty envelope or not arriving at all.

The only reasons that I know of it being illegal is:

1: Counterfeit notes could enter the country this way.

2: It will go missing, no-one can resist free money..

Customs open a lot of packages coming into Australia, and if X-rayed (which it will be) the metallic fibre's in the notes (Aust money has this, do US ?).

Good luck, i suggest just doing a money transfer.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Piggy:

It is illegal in most countries to mail cach itself.

Good luck, i suggest just doing a money transfer.

The whole point was to actually exchange a foreign currency with another cacher, not make a payment to them.

Greg

N 39°54.705'

W 77°33.137'

It's primarily to stop people laundering money, as authorities can't easily track money via post. Much as customs has the form that you have to tick if you are carrying $10k of your local currency or more. Once you destroy the envelope, it is very difficult to track the postal money trail.

Cheers Gav

I'll just give you my bank account and you can deposit it directly icon_smile.gif

Actually, glad you clarified what you were wanting to send that sheds some light on the problem...

So. since it sounds like a couple of notes (for collector purposes? you wanting some of our colourful plastic notes? cause I can't imagine anyone wanting boring US bills!) and most likely not $100 bills, I'd just enlose them in a greeting card, write some nice words and send.

My relatives in the US have been sending notes to me for over 50 years and none have gone astray. I get them for birthdays, christmas etc. They are always in a card so it can't be seen through the envelope. Have a try with a low denomination first to see how you go. Also always send airmail otherwise it can take months.