Buying a new GPS

aandm

We are about to buy a new GPS to replace our old Magellan 3000. I am considering either a Garmin GPS72 or a eTrex Venture. I am attacted by the larger screen of the GPS72 but it seems to be geared more to marine applications. I am hoping there may be some opinions out there. We are looking at a price range between $300 and $450 (which both these models are at a local supplier). Does anyone have an opinion on these or other suggestions? Accuracy and a clear display as well as good reception under tree cover are most important to us. Thanks for any help, Andrew & Maryan.

I would suggest looking at Ebay or Sold.com.au

There is plenty of these on there from reputable sellers, and a lot cheaper than the shops.

Mail me if you need more info.

We run the Etrex Legend,and are very happy with it, know of some teams with the venture, they too are happy. (Legend has maps, yummy !)

The 72 I think is more Marine based, so personally I would steer clear.

The 76's are proba better buy, or an Emap from Garmin.

All of these are on the Auction sites.

Just make sure your reciever has 12 channels minimum for tree cover usage.

I recently went to a good site as I am considering a purchase. It was called DiscountGPS.com and had excellent prices and product information on each item.

The only hassle is the currency conversion and the cost / trust issue of purchasing from the US. $20 for the bank check (Commonwealth) and $12.50 for the registered mail if you want it.

To work out the currency difference I multiply the US price by 1.473 to get an estimate on what it will be in Aussie dollars. Have a read and compare - they are quite competitive on most models including the $30 cost.

Note: I haven't priced postage at all - could be the killer.

Bronze.

ICQ me 153415991

Stevesallychandler@yahoo.com

I have the eMap and can highly reccomend it. An excellent unit if you want something full featured. If you want something basic like the 72 I would go for a unit like the Geko201(which I also have) or eTrex. The geko is an excellent unit, super small and rugged. Unless you want mapping I can't see the use of a huge screen.

For good prices check with http://www.ja-gps.com.au and give Carto-graphics a call http://www.cartographics.com.au

What's the retail on these? I'm sure I found eTrex's on Ebay for under two hundred some weeks back but now I can only find them around the 280 mark. I have no idea what a Geko would be worth either. Any suggestions anyone on how best to purchase either of these. US or Oz? City, Net or Dealer somewhere?

Bronze. Dubbo - Central Western NSW.

thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com