ammo boxes in aust?

diane_75

Why use an ammo container?

It's metal, it will eventually rust, neither good for the environment or the cache, and they are expensive compared to a Decor or Tupperware type of container that starts at around $2 in Coles/Woolies.

Just cause Americans like ammo containers doesn't mean we need to use them in Aus.

Besides, a transparent container allows the contents to be seen and less likely to cause fear if found accidentally.

Not all Americans like the use of ammo-cans. Infact, they are pretty much outlawed in my state of Maryland, U.S.A.. We mainly use tupperware type containers or something more natural, such as hollowed out logs. For those that do use ammo-cans in Maryland, they are frowned upon. After the terrorist attacks, people are rather nervous when approaching a military box. And the local and Federal Government actually blew one up near a river, because they didn't know what it was.

Terrorists are more likely to hide bombs in something that dees not look military. Paper or plastic bags, or cardboard boxes are much more likely containers, as they don't look quite so suspiscious, and objects like teddy bears and kids' lunch-boxes have been used as well. The main argument for tupperware etc. is that you can see into it without opening it (if it's the clear plastic variety) so it is easier to establish that a hidden container is innocent.

Purrs... LazyLeopard http://www.lazyleopard.org.uk

I use Ammo Boxes for Numerous reasons!

1- there nearly indestructable!

2- Waterproof! can be submerged and still not leak!

3- usually comflagued, so not easily spooted unless your actually looking for it!

They can be bought at camping stores and disposal stores all over the country!

Ps, they Dont Rust! they are treated, My cache has been in the elements for 2 yrs now,and shows No signs of degredation! plus, Steel and Rust are natural substances! rust is how steel is found in nature! so if a cache using an Ammo box is forgotten, it will eventually rust away to nothing, unlike the Plastic items inside!

Unfortunately, ammo boxes in Australia are damned expensive, but I try to use them anyway.

Rather than the usual types of standard box, I go for the unusual. take a look at this one.Really Useful ammo tube It is a plastic tube with a really positive seal on it.

Given that it was placed just after Sept 11 we took the opportunity to make it look less "dangerous" by painting it with a really stripe, and writing the URL on the side.

To date we have only confused one person icon_confused.gif trying to open it, and the contents are un damaged.

icon_wink.gifOf course we must have looked really strange walking into the scrub with the tube and a shovel... I am sure if someone had seen us, we would have been taken for survivalists!!!

I think that it would survive a dozer if it was dug up..... (unlike tupperware)

Cheers

quote:
Originally posted by Ultralights:

I use Ammo Boxes for Numerous reasons!

1- there nearly indestructable!

2- Waterproof! can be submerged and still not leak!

3- usually comflagued, so not easily spooted unless your actually looking for it!

They can be bought at camping stores and disposal stores all over the country!

Ps, they Dont Rust! they are treated, My cache has been in the elements for 2 yrs now,and shows No signs of degredation! plus, Steel and Rust are natural substances! rust is how steel is found in nature! so if a cache using an Ammo box is forgotten, it will eventually rust away to nothing, unlike the Plastic items inside!

Um, I'm from the States and we don't normally bury our caches. They *Usually* have a bit of them showing so they *can* be found...

Is it a bit different here? Do you bury them?

Thanks for the info before I pull my hair out looking icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Dominant_Duo:

icon_wink.gifOf course we must have looked really strange walking into the scrub with the tube and a shovel... I am sure if someone had seen us, we would have been taken for survivalists!!!