GPS Setup

Rax

Recently I planted my first cache, and it was discovered soon after. My coordinates appeared to be a bit too far out and was asked to check if I was set on WGS-84. I do not know, how can I check this ? The unit I use is an Eagle Explorer. I am new at this so any advice would be most welcomed

i dont have your unit, and dont know exactly how to make it work, but on most gps units theres a setup page, if you get there you can probly can your unit to whatever datum you need, or in this cache check what datum your in. this is most likely also the page you would need to change your from decimal to min.sec and vice versa. if you have your manuel you can look in it to see what it says about changing datums. if thats not helpfull maybe you can take it to a local sports outfitter and ask them if they know icon_wink.gif

i dont have your unit, and dont know exactly how to make it work, but on most gps units theres a setup page, if you get there you can probly can your unit to whatever datum you need, or in this cache check what datum your in. this is most likely also the page you would need to change your from decimal to min.sec and vice versa. if you have your manuel you can look in it to see what it says about changing datums. if thats not helpfull maybe you can take it to a local sports outfitter and ask them if they know icon_wink.gif

Rax,

We found your cache "Wide Beach" and an excellent cache it was too. It just occurred to us that if your GPS was set on the wrong datum it might explain why you were a bit mystified at our cache "Major Look". You are still the only person to log a visit there - so its unclaimed!

The datum is a mathematical model of the Earth's surface which the GPS unit uses to give you lat/long coordinates. There are about as many datums (data?) as there are countries, but the one generally used for geocaching is WGS-84 (World Geodetic Survey 1984). I don't know your reciever, but there will almost certainly be a menu or submenu which will allow you to change it. On mine it is Main Menu / Setup / Units / Map Datum, which gives you a drop-down menu of various datums.

Good luck, and let me know if you have trouble.

Yours,

Blocko.