Tending Caches

Ian&Sue - Team Pathfinder

Question - what to do with the caches we have planted when we move from the region. We have 15 or so caches planted and are soon to move 1700 kilometres away making checking them extremely difficult. We will probably only be back in Perth a couple of times a year. Do we retire them or retire only the ones that are in the more public areas. We dont want to be giving geocachers a bad name.

What about getting someone to adopt your caches? That way they would still be monitored, maintained and kept active. In my area of Michigan (USA) there are several active cachers and I believe it would work here. If you live where there aren't many cachers, finding an adoptive cacher might be difficult.

Good question.

Good luck!

I expect that I'll be in that situation one of these days and thought about it before I placed my first cache. First I'll send word out to the local cachers asking if they would like to adopt my caches. If nobody adopts a cache, I'll try to find non-geocaching friends who don't mind taking a look once in a while. If neither of those work, I'll remove the cache.

Just Do like we did Sue. when the need arives for someone to look at one of your caches you will know by the notes placed on the Log of their visit. Then just e-mail a few of the more fiendly ones you know (like us) that have been to your cache and get them to check on it. If you arnt fully satified with that result then you could archive it. But mostly they will survive on their own. someone will say there is a problem and the next person should (if they also expect the same) will bring along the nesessary repair items. Alan (nissan) Fixed one of ours and we have placed Zip lock bags in a few caches that needed them. Things will be just fine...Trust us. Lyn Pat and Nathan