Busted!

edsgone

We've had incidents in the emirates where people have been approached and questioned by the authorities whilst searching for caches. What is the best approach here? We have nothing to be ashamed of, but trying to explain our hobby in faltering Arabic seems like digging when already in a hole!!! Does anyone have any experience of a good get-out in these situations?

I think that in the Arabian Countries, police and others are taught to be suspecious by nature . I just would say that I am aimlessly wandering , collecting trash , helping the enviroment, doing survey work , and my favorite lost the dog toy while playing fetch.

AbuZaina

And those who fear are lost !

Yes, all police are taught to be suspicious, they are doing their job, and I am glad they are vigilant. The problem is that geocaching is little known, difficult to explain, and involves loitering in unusual areas with satellite receiving equipment hiding packages - all highly dodgy activity! Also we are in a part of the world which has high security coverage, has many 'foreigners', and (if you listen to the embassies) is under a 'heightened state of alert'. I just wouldn't want anyone to get arrested. I guess it would be premature to actively make police etc. aware of the activity. They might ban it! Perhaps cache locations are something to do with it.

On a serious note it is a diffcult one. I am not sure that honesty is the best policy and may lead to closing down of the activity. Just using a GPS creates suspicion. I believe setters in the Emirates must take this into account when placing caches and ensure that they are not in locations that excite the authorities. Certainly the Emirates has its share of caches demanding courage. Speak English, stay friendly and go for the contact lens gambit that must surely frustrate most.

Good point , but how about carrying with you the website print out that discribes the sport of geocaching , the cache listing with some of the log book comments printed off the web site for the cache you are aiming to find. and if you must ; interduce them to the sport and show them how . then when found there will be supporting documantation inside that says:

" You found it , etc." . maysound like too much effort , but might make the differance between going home or who knows !

AbuZaina

And those who fear are lost !