The Final Frontier

swdecato

I know not everybody is in love with Saudi Arabia and many can't wait to return home. But I'm determined to make the best of it, given that I'm in the military and have 18 months remaining on my tour.

But so far, I've been enchanted by this land. Yes, it is dirty -- the Saudi's need to learn to throw the garbage in the landfill, not onto the highways or into the desert. The escarpments continue to fill me with awe, the millions of years of history they represent, and the sheer size of the cliffs and the massive boulders the size of 10 story buildings that probably fell to their resting place long before man arrived on the scene.

I believe in the Saudi's don't really know what they are missing -- the escarpments, this history, the old world markets of Riyahd's Clock Tower or Batha.

Our weekend game of GEOCACHING is the tip of the iceberg. It is the catalyst for those who will follow in our footsteps, sign our cache logs, and move further out into unexplored regions of the country to create new caches for others to discover.

These are the voyages...

I’d like to thank you for your kind words and feelings towards Saudi Arabia. We have many beautiful places to visit, but the average Saudi campers tend to prefer open fields at springtime for camping, as opposed to rocky structures. I don’t know what lead you to believe that we don’t know what we’re missing, but I thank you for your concern. icon_smile.gif

I do agree that some Saudi Arabians tend to act carelessly when it comes to proper disposal of waste. Some of that blame should be directed towards the municipalities and the contractors hired to execute such tasks. Nonetheless, people from many nations inhabit Saudi Arabia and every nation has its high quality ambassadors or the exact opposite. I don’t want to get into a quarrel, but the good, the bad and the ugly are available in all countries. icon_wink.gif

I’d like to wish you a pleasant stay, and hope your 18 months become delightful and enjoyable months for your and others. icon_cool.gif

Happy Holidays,

Waleed Alzuhair

mmsign.jpg

waleedsgallery.biz

I am finally leaving Saudi after 13 years here wandering the deserts, meeting people and enjoying myself.

I totally agree with Waleed's comments and would add that I have seen just as many expat rubbish piles as I have seen Saudi ones. There is no excuse for ours.

May I thank Waleed and his fellow countrymen for the privilidge that I have been given. There is no where else in the world where a person can go off road and drive for over 1500 Kms going wherever he wants to with no restriction upon him.

There is nowhere where he can meet such honest and welcoming people as the Bedu of the empty quarter and there is certainly no more beautiful and varied country.

I have explored it's every quarter from Gizan to ArAr, in the mountains, along the Hijaz railway, along the Darb Zubaydah - one of the oldest paved roads in the world, to the eastern empty quarter and the border with the emirates to the very south and the borders with Yemen and Oman.

I have enjoyed myself tremendously and will leave with regrets but so, so many fond memories.

Thanks you

Jim,

Thank YOU for your contributions that have inspired us "NEWBIES". Your maps are clear and I hope that those of us that remain can follow in your footsteps keeping them accurate by adding a GPS dimension.

You will be missed, but you can always keep track of the friendly competition between M&Ms and the Americans...

Sincerely,

Steve Decato

Lord Jimbo you bring a tear welling to the eye, the hairs prickle on the back of the neck, as we wait for the executioner to serve the Exit Only. But before then lets us show you parts of the MT1/4 you haven't seen and set a cache or two to get the whipper snappers gorping from the pavement and to show you the mettle of those to whom you pass the mantle.

I'd like to wish you and yours all the best on going back home. For 13 years, you've given us the honor and trust of staying with us and I personally value that a lot.

I was pulling Steve's leg with my comments, but he's not easy to pull icon_razz.gif

I really hoped we could have all met somewhere and got properly acquainted, I guess we’ll know when it happens icon_smile.gif

Take care Jim, and please stay in touch

mmsign.jpg

waleedsgallery.biz

Walzuhair,

I'm taking some of my coworkers up to the Buwayb Escarpment on Friday. We'll probably head up the route that takes us past "Crack of Doom" and "Box Canyon Overlook". We hope to cook a BBQ lunch, place a new GEOCACHE and return before dark.

If you or any other GEOCACHER within ear-shot wants to join us, let us know. You are welcome to ride with my wife and I. Be warned we have a tiny Terrier Dog but she sleeps on the floor around my wife's feet since she is fearful of trucks on the highway. She is as gentle as can be, but I do understand the religious problems associated with dogs and ISLAM.

It is currently a 3 truck convoy.

Steve

Sounds like lots of fun Steve..

This is the 2nd invitation you kindly offer and my hectic traveling schedule pulls me back. I’ll be in Khobar for 3 days **boo*hoo*hoo** icon_frown.gif

I have no problems with dogs, I enjoyed the companionship of a couple of them when I was much younger. I also have a cousin who used to breed pedigree Rottweiler and German Shepard dogs.. Adorable critters in my book.

However, the point of caution in Islam is somewhat correct. There are special instructions of the necessity of cleaning and washing locations that were occupied by dogs, in addition to washing up before prayers after being in contact with dogs. It was also mentioned that dogs were used for protection and hunting throughout the history of Islam.. So, it’s not a major problem to a the majority of Muslims I know.. But thank you for your concern, it's very kind.

mmsign.jpg

waleedsgallery.biz

Do you take interesting photos? Look into Crusso's "Where's In A Name?" cache gc3153. My user name coordinate is 24deg. 33.6min.(24 33.6), this can be N, S, E, or W. You may add numbers on the end of 33.6 and the intersecting coordinate is your choice. If you're interested, please contact me.

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Do you take interesting photos? Look into Crusso's "Where's In A Name?" cache gc3153. My user name coordinate is 24deg. 33.6min.(24 33.6), this can be N, S, E, or W. You may add numbers on the end of 33.6 and the intersecting coordinate is your choice. If you're interested, please contact me.

Erwast from Finland sent me photos that he'd taken at E024 33.604 x N60 12.341. These are good scenic photos and can be seen at the gc3153 site. I don't think that there's a rule against logging this cache more than once. As a matter of fact, I think the more photos of different areas of the world, the better.

quote:

quote:

Erwast from Finland sent me photos that he'd taken at E024 33.604 x N60 12.341. These are good scenic photos and can be seen at the gc3153 site. I don't think that there's a rule against logging this cache more than once. As a matter of fact, I think the more photos of different areas of the world, the better.

I can log this cache again only as the photographer of someone elses user name coordinates. Therefore, my user name coordinates are now invalid, for me. If someone else has the same user name coordinates, that's a different story.