Old Things Becoming Older

Each year, when December becomes January, a special thing occurs which can be quite beneficial to certain of those among us.

I only bring this up on the cusp of April because I, too, am old and tend to completely forget about such serendipitous happenstances as the changes of the calendar.

Anyhoo, that "Special Thing" which happens when each January rolls around is that sites which we have Waymarked anywhere from a day ago to sixteen or seventeen years ago may well have suddenly become acceptable in another category, a category which one hadn't considered when first posting said Waymark.

A category which immediately comes to mind is This Old Church, in which churches must be a full century of age to become eligible. Another is Antique Hotels, a category in which the hotel in question must have achieved the age of 80 years. A third which comes to mind is Historic Eats,  a category which demands that acceptable Waymarks be those of sites which have fed the populace for more than 50 years, regardless of the quality of said provisions. In retrospect, however, it must be said that an establishment which serves its neighbours for half a century, and survives, quite likely serves appetizing dishes. To a great extent, with regard to accommodation, similar could likely be said of Antique Hoteliers.

It was the This Old Church category which gave rise to this missive. While editing older Waymarks I ran across a church built in 1921 and thought: ...  "I wonder if that's been done as a This Old Church... ..."

Sure enough, It hadn't. While I've just begun my search of Sites to which 2021 May Be Kind I have, this afternoon, already unearthed 7 potential This Old Church, Waymarks.

Odds are that you have pix of old Burger Joints not yet Waymarked, churches you've not yet submitted that are now 100 years old, or even pix of a vintage hotel for which you had yet to find a category, which reached its age of maturity this year!!

There could well be a few more chronologically dependent categories of which I'm currently unaware, which is extremely likely:blink:

Help?!?!?

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 2

I just thought of an brilliant idea. PISA-Caching, you should make this a "photo goal" with the intent for waymarkers to recreate photos of themselves taken some amount of years ago. If you decide on the 50 year requirement, such as in the Photos Then and Now category, I will need to wait quite a bit of time before any photo of me surpasses it.  :laughing: I actually think it would be fun to see the creative ways waymarkers recreate photos of themselves.

20 hours ago, ScroogieII said:

Guess it's time you searched the countryside with a fine toothed comb.

I started already, but there are a few early photos of me that might be easier. Additionally, the photo is in fact a scanned slide and I am unsure if it was not scanned in mirror image, which doesn't make it easier. :) And the quality ... 

21 hours ago, bluesnote said:

you should make this a "photo goal" with the intent for waymarkers to recreate photos of themselves taken some amount of years ago

You mean something like https://www.boredpanda.com/before-after-old-photo-recreation/? I thought about that myself. But the red cape doesn't exist anymore and would definitely not fit anymore :D and I doubt that I will find a new red cape of my size. :D I think my mother sewed it herself back then. She was a trained seamstress. Anyway, the advantage of a photo goal would be, that it could also be a photo that was taken inside. But, I wonder if this photo goal already exists.

4 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

I started already, but there are a few early photos of me that might be easier. Additionally, the photo is in fact a scanned slide and I am unsure if it was not scanned in mirror image, which doesn't make it easier. :) And the quality ... 

I enlarged and enhanced the pic you provided. Though this is a bit "iffy", some of the background and the terrain just may be able to help you out, given a deep dive into your memory of places you've been and seen.

Also, Adam's idea is actually not a horrible one. I have already long ago given most all of my family photos to a niece and any I still have would have been taken in places I'm extremely unlikely ever to visit again, but it could work for many others in a less unusual situation than mine. But then mebbe they could be not so much of places as poses.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII

Oh Oh!

Just thought of REAL personal "Then and Now" possibilities...

We all remember those classic "baby pictures" of days gone by. I'm betting that many in the community have baby pictures, the classical ones of the baby stretched out on a blanket on the lawn, completely naked.

A "Then & Now" of that pose, AND mode of dress (or UNdress, as the case may be) would certainly draw attention to submissions, would it not? :o

WOO000 HOO000!!! Racy Waymarks! Whoda thunk?

Keith