GEOBITUARY

M&Ms

LORD JIMBO OF AL RAMAISON

Jim Stabler first came to Saudi Arabia in 1985 departing 3 years later. He returned in 1993 leaving for what might be the final time early this month. A legendary Desert Warrior of our era, the desert was both his and his wife’s, Lyn, passion and in their Land Rover 110 have visited most parts of the Kingdom. He wrote a book on Desert Driving and contributed the maps to Ionis Thompson book “Desert Treks from Riyadh”. This book is still the definitive guide and many who wish to visit local tourist sites use the maps. The tales he tells of researching this book are fun and led to colloquial naming of some of the popular sites.

Jim was a founder member of M&Ms, indeed he christened the group. It is an acronym and the title must remain a secret for now. I think most will agree that M&Ms have made an important contribution to establishing Geocaching within Saudi Arabia and it was Jim who provided the group’s initial impetus and remained a leading member for the rest of his time in the Kingdom. Though not an early fan of Scarinian he came to enjoy his tales in the end.

Affectionately known as Lord Jimbo of Al Ramaison we will miss both Lyn and Jim’s contribution to Geocaching. We offer them our very best wishes for the future.

M of M&Ms.

I want to say few words here ..

I met Jim Stabler on the back cover of Inois Thompson book few years ago and was fascinated with the maps he produced in that one of a kind book (*). To me, the level of details contained in those maps was more than enough to get me going and back home. I visited many of the places in Thompson’s book without a GPS, relying solely on those maps. As a matter of fact I still use those maps today even with a GPS in my car. It is a great navigational tool for a novice like me.

Thanks a million Jim and best wishes to you and your family.

(*) Another guide that I used to carry with me is a camping guide produced by the Gamenowinink Lodge 555, Memsochet chapter, Order of the Arrow which is a brotherhood of honor Scout campers (Boy Scouts of America).

Originally posted by mhfares:

and was fascinated with the maps he produced in that one of a kind book (*). To me, the level of details contained in those maps was more than enough to get me going and back home. I visited many of the places in Thompson’s book without a GPS, relying solely on those maps. As a matter of fact I still use those maps today even with a GPS in my car.QUOTE]

I believe many people will endorse these comments. In his usual unselfish way Lord Jimbo has left the original maps with M&Ms who will embark on updating them and include waypoint coordinates.

When I arrived in kindom I hunted for information on places to visit. Finding this book was the first step, the next was when I discovered Geocaching. Thanks for the book it is invaluable and I look forward to viewing the updated maps with the relivant coordinates included. Once again thanks

Dave Brudenall :(