Possible Geocache Vandal - How do I handle/report suspicious activity?

MJ_GG_Allin

Hello, everyone.

I have placed just a few caches in my area, and one cacher has sent me messages about them, including someone stealing my cache.  Yet, when I go to check the cache, it's still there.  In one case, he sent me some spam, and lo and behold the next day the cache was emptied out and moved.  Very suspicious.  I've attached images of the messages.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 1.59.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.00.11 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 2.00.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 1.52.29 PM.png

Edited by MJ_GG_Allin
1 hour ago, MJ_GG_Allin said:

I have placed just a few caches in my area, and one cacher has sent me messages about them, including someone stealing my cache. 

Yet, when I go to check the cache, it's still there. 

In one case, he sent me some spam, and lo and behold the next day the cache was emptied out and moved.  Very suspicious. 

I've attached images of the messages.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

It's a "member with a find", so I'd simply contact HQ as a JIC, and forgetaboutit. 

Curious, is their one find legit?  The "Found" log (12/'21) says :"What a scam I went and nothing".  Did you look then?

It could be a troll, but it sounds (to me) simply in the beginning a new, maybe very young cacher who couldn't find your caches.

Might have seen someone "move and empty" your cache, but now upset and maybe harassing you over it.  Kinda.

Edited by cerberus1
'21 not '20...
2 hours ago, MJ_GG_Allin said:

I have placed just a few caches in my area, and one cacher has sent me messages about them, including someone stealing my cache.  Yet, when I go to check the cache, it's still there.  In one case, he sent me some spam, and lo and behold the next day the cache was emptied out and moved.  Very suspicious.  I've attached images of the messages.

I think this is someone , sitting at home, messing with you, hoping to get a response (which is working). Maybe he damaged your cache or maybe it's just a coincidence. I'm betting coincidence. 

When I was a kid (some 60 years ago) we sometimes were mischievous and would play pranks such as ringing a doorbell and running away or call random numbers and ask if their refrigerator was running. With video doorbells and caller id neither of these is much fun these days but anyone can create a free GC account and start posting fake logs to mess with the cache owner.  In my area I regularly see, "Someone stole it!" logs from 0/0 cachers and invariably the cache is still there. Rarely do these folks actually go out in the field and damage or steal anything, it's more fun to sit around the living room with their buddies and post logs. 

If it was me, I'd:

• Make my caches premium member only.
  • Block the user in the message center.
  • Quickly and quietly fix any problems. Again these people are looking for attention, don't give it to them
  • I wouldn't bother reporting it to HQ. Even if they lock the account he'll just create a new one and again you're giving him the attention he's after. 

19 hours ago, MJ_GG_Allin said:

I thought mine was premium but I’ll check.

Nope, they're not.

When I started caching back in 2004 I don't think there was a premium cache with 200 miles. I still remember how offended I was when one showed up nearby. I swore I would never make any of my caches PMO. Times change, in 2004 you needed a $200+ GPS to play, now it's free. Anyone with a smart phone (which is pretty much anyone over 6 years old) can download the app and start caching (or pranking cachers). These days almost all my caches are PMO, it's not a cure but it helps cut down on all sorts of issues. 

Out of curiosity I ran a PQ of caches near his one find. (can you tell I'm retired)   I put them in GSAK and searched for any logs by the user and, out of around 700 caches, the only one was his single "found it" on your cache. No bogus NM or NA logs or anything like that. My take is that he's a bored kid sending messages and seeing who will respond.

• Upvote 1