GPS Adventures Exhibit - shown in profile but DNF when clicked

The Snowdog

Looks fine to me! This is what I get when I click on "GPS Adventures Exhibit" on your profile.

a.thumb.PNG.1b19c94fd96eca1a3b4f7227f136003e.PNG

Check to make sure that there aren't any stray filters applied; in particular, the "Placed after" filter. When you click on, for example, "Cache In Trash Out Event" (under "All Event Cache Types") this filter gets applied by default. Since you didn't attend a CITO, well, today, it finds no results.

b.thumb.PNG.f9dd5185ecce322bf1ddf92140b2a611.PNG

GPS Mazes aren't categorized as events, but you do log an "Attended" log, not a "Found it" log. Perhaps something is getting confused somewhere along the line.

PS. I loved your Quantum Mechanics puzzle.

Edited by Hügh

i've posted an expanded version of this in the Enhanced Search thread.  Viewing your own found events, Maze has the place date added  Null results, and all other types work. Viewing another user's profile, Maze works, and all other event types have the date restriction.

10 hours ago, Hügh said:

GPS Mazes aren't categorized as events,

Well, yes, they are. But an odd mix of legacy ways of dealing with events..   Pocket Queries lumped all event types as a single type. When PQs were newish there were two types, Meet and Greet and CITO.  Then as more types came along, they were still all lumped into "event" -> until GPS Adventure Exhibit (aka Maze). It got its own selection. Still has it on PQ.. So on profile, GPS Maze is broken out.

Old search broke out (breaks out) event types

All Event Cache Types
Event Cache
Cache in Trash Out
Mega-Event
Community Celebration
Geocaching HQ Celebration
Geocaching HQ Block Party
Giga

Maze is not listed under Event types,  but it is in the list of cache types.

Current Search breaks out events As Giga, Mega, CITO, and "Regular" which is  all other event types,  including Maze

Edited by Isonzo Karst
5 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

That's exactly what it was, the "Placed after" filter was set. Why would that be set to default to the current date for just this type?

Normally, when searching for events, you'd only be interested in ones happening in the future. Hence that filter gets applied by default.

But as Isonzo Karst explains, that filter doesn't get applied when looking at someone else's profile. So... something weird is happening.

Edited by Hügh
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

A search engine shouldn't be assuming it knows what I'm interested in.

Oh, I wish. 

At least the Geocaching.com search is transparent about the fact that a certain default filter has been applied. 

7 hours ago, Hügh said:

Normally, when searching for events, you'd only be interested in ones happening in the future. Hence that filter gets applied by default.

But that makes no sense at all. It's applied in a place where you would click to view your previous caches, not to search for one.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

But that makes no sense at all. It's applied in a place where you would click to view your previous caches, not to search for one.

Mhmm. When searching for events, normally you are only interested in ones in the future; an event that happened last week is not particularly interesting. I was suggesting that perhaps a tired engineer wasn't thinking about this specific edge-case. That is, they set up code to handle "if a user searches for events, exclude past events" but forgot to add the "except when a user is looking at their past finds."

That said,

9 hours ago, Hügh said:

as Isonzo Karst explains, that filter doesn't get applied when looking at someone else's profile. So... something weird is happening.

So indeed

22 hours ago, The Snowdog said:

it is apparently still broken.

Edited by Hügh
29 minutes ago, Hügh said:

Mhmm. When searching for events, normally you are only interested in ones in the future; an event that happened last week is not particularly interesting.

It is if you want to log an Attended on it, or see who else has logged that they attended. Archived events won't show up in a search anyway (other than from yours or someone else's profile when looking at finds) so I don't see why it needs that date filter at all.

• Helpful 1
29 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I don't see why it needs that date filter at all.

I would assume that the majority of people, when searching for event-relating things, aren't interested in events from the past, even if they were only a week or two ago and haven't yet been archived. For the minority that are interested (i.e., those that are, as you say, catching up on their logging a few days later) a single click isn't a heavy burden.

Edited by Hügh

This got me wondering why Maze was assigned to Event? it's often associated with a Mega or Giga, but it generally runs 3 or 4 days.

The Maze I visited ran 4 months! I expect it was only "event_like" on the opening weekend, when there was also a Meet and Greet and the whole place was pretty much taken over by cachers. 

Because they are now written up on Event listings,   even when they operate for several days, all logs are dated for the 'event date" (well, except a few who manage to defeat the event log on event date only module).