Something went wrong with the image upload...

The Snowdog

Been getting a lot of this today. 

My standard procedure is to dump the photos from the phone into the PC, drop the images into an editor to crop, and then upload them as visits to geocaches or to waymarks. 

I have been able to get images to upload to geocaching.com if I cut the size back quite a bit.

It is amusing to note that photos that won't upload to geocaching.com are just fine over on the Waymarking side.

Untitled.png

19 minutes ago, foxtrot_xray said:

I have only tried to downsize to max 3096x3096, and still got error.

That's a rather huge image.  Has that size been working for you?

Lately, I only upload 800x600 (or less).  Above around 1024x768, they get ensmallened by the server anyway.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

That's a rather huge image.  Has that size been working for you?

Lately, I only upload 800x600 (or less).  Above around 1024x768, they get ensmallened by the server anyway.

Actually, yeah. Heh. Yesterday, I was uploading images that were 4032x2268 (or 2268x4032, depending on orientation, of course).

I store all my images in their native size, so I never did any processing here locally - letting the website handle resizing. :)

Checked, and Wednesday (3/23), I uploaded a total of 45 images with a max size of 4032x4032 without issue. :)

Edited by foxtrot_xray

I just tried to upload a jpg image and got "Something went wrong with the image upload, please try again later."

The image size was 10 MB  6850 x 8696

Then I tried normal sized image and it worked fine.

The image size was 0.1 MB  960 x 540

On 3/25/2022 at 1:14 AM, The Snowdog said:

I have been able to get images to upload to geocaching.com if I cut the size back quite a bit.

For background images, there is a 5 MB limit for the image. I have no idea about the limit size of other ways to upload images, but there must be some.

I have changed my camera app to Open Camera because the default app has no control over the image size. I couldn't upload those images for log entries.

Edited by arisoft

I tested uploads to a cache log just now.  The file was 4032x3024 pixels.  At 1.02MB (and bigger), it failed with the "Went Wrong" error.  Compressed to 600MB, the same image uploaded fine at 4032x3024 pixels.  The system didn't resize it.  So if an image file is 1MB or less, it seems to work.  But the accepted parameters change all the time, and of course uploads fail to function at all on some days for a while.

Regardless, I do keep uncompressed full-size images for my own files, but I use a batch image processor on my PC or an App on my iPhone to resize to 800x600 before upload.  That way I don't need to worry that the files will "Went Wrong".  :P

Edited by kunarion
3 hours ago, kunarion said:

I tested uploads to a cache log just now.  The file was 4032x3024 pixels.  At 1.02MB (and bigger), it failed with the "Went Wrong" error.  Compressed to 600MB, the same image uploaded fine at 4032x3024 pixels.  The system didn't resize it.  So if an image file is 1MB or less, it seems to work.  But the accepted parameters change all the time, and of course uploads fail to function at all on some days for a while.

Regardless, I do keep uncompressed full-size images for my own files, but I use a batch image processor on my PC or an App on my iPhone to resize to 800x600 before upload.  That way I don't need to worry that the files will "Went Wrong".  :P

Thank you for this. I compressed the image I was trying to upload and it worked fine. Certainly hope I don't have to do that every time though!

36 minutes ago, St.Nicholas said:

Thank you for this. I compressed the image I was trying to upload and it worked fine. Certainly hope I don't have to do that every time though!

Maybe it's a temporary issue.  But it's temporary on such a chronic basis, I just wait til I'm at my PC, load all my photos onto it (from camera and phone, and dump them all into fotosizer, resizing to 800x600.  Then I sort them to just the ones I like (I keep the full sized photos and delete all these small ones later), they upload fast, and it works great.  Pretty much the only way I know there's a site upload problem is by reading about it here in the Forum.  :)

If I'm uploading directly from the phone, it's only for 1 or 2 photos, and I resize them small using a phone App.  I don't have the bandwidth nor the data allowance to be sending 2MB files from my phone.

Edited by kunarion