Geocachers Thailand

Team Hoijong

Hi there Geocachers,

I'm living in Thailand where there isn't to much activity surrounding Geocaching.

I'm looking for Geocachers in thailand to share some discussions.

hope to find some poeple who are active in Thailand right now..

Happy Caching

~~Exploring the world with Geocaching~~

I am very sure it is missing only the owner is not reporting it missing..

I have 3 caches here that i need to place in the wild.. maybe I will go near bangkok to place one of them..

I plan to place most of them around 1 and a half hour drive from Bangkok

Greetings

[This message was edited by Irresisti on May 30, 2002 at 05:44 AM.]

No problem to use a GPS in Thailand..

but my experience is that local thai people see you walking around with your GPS just think that you have got a Mobile Phone that will be 10 years old because of the big size.. (Magellan 310)

hope you will enjoy Thailand..

I'm trying to get this geocaching of the ground here in thailand..

[This message was edited by Irresisti on May 30, 2002 at 05:44 AM.]

Well, I just put Bangkok back on the map with a cache. I'll be back in BKK for a single day in a couple of weeks so if you can plant one in the city, somewhere a taxi driver knows how to get within walking distance of, I'll hunt it.

Now for Manila and Singapore and Jakarta...

Tommorow I will be travelling back to Lumphini Park again for the second time..

Been there at 1 may for the "Lumphini Park Micro" that cache i found to be a no find..

And tommorow 30 may I will be going for the new cache in Lumphini Park..

Hope to have some luck tommorow..

[This message was edited by Irresisti on May 30, 2002 at 05:43 AM.]

I checked out the spot where the first micro was placed. As I arrived at the coordinates, I noticed a large crowd of people exercising and the person leading the parade was standing right next to the cache site.

While it is certainly possible to hide a cache that defies crowds, I don't believe WT planned for a large crowd at the cache site.

When I hid mine in the same park, I learned from that lesson. So, unless someone saw me place it, it should still be there. Good luck!

Yeah you are right.. when I was at lumphini park before to check for the lost cache I also had to wait for more than 30 minutes.. there was a couple leening against the stone where the cache was in.. when they went away i found nothing. .the hole in the stone was perfect shape for the cache.. but location was in my idea not very easy..

The new lumphini cache you placed..

Where I went to today will not get plundered easy.. But when i was driving back home i was thinking of maybe someone climbing in the tree and maybe could see it.. ??

but I think it will not happen.. when i get back to bangkok i will check on the Status for this cache.. Since you wouldn't be much around to check on the Status..

maybe soon i will be placing another cache in Bangkok area..

Happy Caching icon_razz.gif

Yeah you are right.. when I was at lumphini park before to check for the lost cache I also had to wait for more than 30 minutes.. there was a couple leening against the stone where the cache was in.. when they went away i found nothing. .the hole in the stone was perfect shape for the cache.. but location was in my idea not very easy..

The new lumphini cache you placed..

Where I went to today will not get plundered easy.. But when i was driving back home i was thinking of maybe someone climbing in the tree and maybe could see it.. ??

but I think it will not happen.. when i get back to bangkok i will check on the Status for this cache.. Since you wouldn't be much around to check on the Status..

maybe soon i will be placing another cache in Bangkok area..

Happy Caching icon_razz.gif

today i went to check on the status on the first cache that i have placed named IRRESISTI CACHE 1 and found it to be gone.. Very strange that it's gone ..location whas very good.. but i will replace it next week.. in same area.. i will post the coordinats later on the cache website..

Greetings

a few days ago somebody asked me if there are Garmin format maps or cd's availeble for thailand i didn't remember the urL of the site..

now i found maybe a place that would give more information on mapping on this site

web page

Greetingz Irresisti

Don't mather how far you get from home, you will always get back there to get out again

On the end of this month I will be traveling back to the Khoa Yai mountain where the Haew Narok waterfall cache is placed to check on the status of the cache..

I will also visit some more places around Khoa Yai mountain to look for potential cache locations.. Expect some new caches placed in the next month..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

[This message was edited by Irresisti on June 09, 2002 at 01:12 PM.]

I was reading through the active topics and came upon this one. Although I'm not in Thailand, I just wanted to let you know that I think it's wonderful the amount of effort you're putting into geocaching. I hope you're able to get it off the ground way over there!

Maybe someday I'll visit Thailand and hit a few of your caches. Until then, good luck and keep at it!

icon_smile.gif I'm very happy with your response..

I'm all by myself here in thailand.. I'm the only cacher in thailand. This morning I signed up for a domain name here in thaland..

I'm planning to create a website that will explain Geocahing.. Ofcourse there must be a explanation in Thai language for the thai people to..

I'm working on it..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

icon_smile.gif I'm very happy with your response..

I'm all by myself here in thailand.. I'm the only cacher in thailand. This morning I signed up for a domain name here in thaland..

I'm planning to create a website that will explain Geocahing.. Ofcourse there must be a explanation in Thai language for the thai people to..

I'm working on it..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

Today I went to a local translator to get the Stash(Cache) note in Thai language..

Not easy finding the right translator.. After going to 5 translate shops.. I found a translator that could translate the Stash note in thai for me and the other Geocachers..

The translation will be done by Wednesday..

I asked them to provide it to me in a word document.

Since many thai people cant read or speak any english.. It would be great to have stash notes in thai in the caches.. When somebody find the cache and cant read english the cache will be plundered.. when there is a stash note in thai.. they can read it and will consider putting it back in place..

Anyway.. It will explain the meaning of the box placed in that place.. for thai people to..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

I was speaking about it before.. I felt like I was the only geocacher active in Thailand..

Well I think that this is true.. i'm on my own here icon_frown.gif

I would like to see more geocaching activity around here..

I know there is one shop here in the city that sell hicking stuff but they never heard about geocaching or GPS..

So where i'm living nobody knows what a GPS is..

I'm going to contact a few GPS importers in Bangkok to tell them about geocaching.. since it is a famous game (sport) around the world.. the importer in Bangkok should know about it....

I don'tknow what to say here...

maybe I just have to wait for a tourist from Us to visit thailand.. icon_smile.gif

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

I was speaking about it before.. I felt like I was the only geocacher active in Thailand..

Well I think that this is true.. i'm on my own here icon_frown.gif

I would like to see more geocaching activity around here..

I know there is one shop here in the city that sell hicking stuff but they never heard about geocaching or GPS..

So where i'm living nobody knows what a GPS is..

I'm going to contact a few GPS importers in Bangkok to tell them about geocaching.. since it is a famous game (sport) around the world.. the importer in Bangkok should know about it....

I don'tknow what to say here...

maybe I just have to wait for a tourist from Us to visit thailand.. icon_smile.gif

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

I was in Thailand late last year, and had 4 caches with me, but didn't get time to plant any !!

What was i thinking ! I travelled most of the country too.

I will be back in the country in Sept/October, Bangkok/Phuket/Chiang-mai areas.

And plan to hopefully plant some caches then.

I like to plant difficulty 4 caches, hard to find, even harder for people to accidently find.

Look forward to doing some of yours later this year..

Cheers. Team Piggy. Australia.

I'm looking forward to see more caches here..

thank you for the nice response.

The caches that I have placed so far are a little bit of a test for me..

2 of the caches i have placed (micro's) are in urban places. because there is not much caches here I can't just go and cache a few before placing so I'm testing places on my own.. Most i place i don't put on Geocaching because they are a test for me.. to see if nobody take it away from the cache location.. so far I lost 1 cache that was stolen by Survey people.. that were setting out a big new land.. the cache is temporarly disabled because.. I didn't have time to replace it yet.. The location is great (irresisti cache 01)

p.s. I ordered my eTrex vista today icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

I'm looking forward to see more caches here..

thank you for the nice response.

The caches that I have placed so far are a little bit of a test for me..

2 of the caches i have placed (micro's) are in urban places. because there is not much caches here I can't just go and cache a few before placing so I'm testing places on my own.. Most i place i don't put on Geocaching because they are a test for me.. to see if nobody take it away from the cache location.. so far I lost 1 cache that was stolen by Survey people.. that were setting out a big new land.. the cache is temporarly disabled because.. I didn't have time to replace it yet.. The location is great (irresisti cache 01)

p.s. I ordered my eTrex vista today icon_smile.gif:)

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

Originally posted by Mitsuko:

One of the women I went to school with lives in Thailand, but I'm not sure where.

If I can make it to Japan next May I'll try to swing by and say hello to her and if we're close enough to one of your caches I'll introduce her to the hobby.QUOTE]

Sounds great.. One thing about thailands GPS market is that the units here are very expencive.. A magellan 315 costs around 13.000 Bath.

Garmin Emap costs 22.000 bath..

That's more then double the price of US..

I bought my unit in europe where the prices are also vey high,..

Irresisti

N12º 55.475

E100º 52.865

Well it is still not an active geocaching country here.. But I placed a few caches around Thailand..

I never had the time to travel to Phuket and find out about the geocaches there. But recently some cahces have been visited and some had not been found..

Greetings to all geocachers..

Hope you drop me a cache nearby. icon_smile.gif

Irresisti

N12 55.475

E100 52.865

quote:
Originally posted by irresisti:

I never had the time to travel to Phuket and find out about the geocaches there. But recently some cahces have been visited and some had not been found..

Yeah, it was me. icon_smile.gif I was certainly disappointed when I didn't find the one in Phuket island. Of course, me being quite green a cacher and all, I may have just missed it, but I really found a place which looked like the description said, and nothing there. If anyone goes near that area (Kata or Karon beaches, not that far from Patong beach either), it's worth trying. Hope someone still finds it, but if not, I guess it should be archived.

The same thing with the cache in Phi Phi. I rummaged around the place for almost an hour without finding it. The viewpoint there is frequently visited place, so I wouldn't be surprised if some kids have found it or the maintenance has just cleaned it away. icon_frown.gif

Luckily I found the the one near Krabi during a daytrip to the area. icon_smile.gif There are 2 other caches there too, which I unfortunately didn't have time to seek.

I wish luck for everyone caching in Thailand. Despite the two not-founds I had fun seeking them. :

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body.

Dear Thai Geocachers,

I spent 10 wonderful days in Phuket, but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to hunt the caches. I was prepared... had my GPSr, maps, etc.; but recent reports were that Laem Sai Village Ruins and Phi Phi geocaches were gone. And it is just too difficult to get to Krabi from Phuket.

Maybe I'll have another chance someday. Sorry I didn't get to post any action there.

quote:
Originally posted by kasapearson:

Dear Thai Geocachers,

I spent 10 wonderful days in Phuket, but unfortunately I didn't have a chance to hunt the caches. I was prepared... had my GPSr, maps, etc.; but recent reports were that Laem Sai Village Ruins and Phi Phi geocaches were gone. And it is just too difficult to get to Krabi from Phuket.

Well, as I stated in both Laem Sai and Phi Phi logs, I might have just missed the caches that may still have been in their places. To be honest though, another cacher tried also to find Laem Sai cache, but missed it too. icon_frown.gif But it's important to have a few Didn't-Find-It's on the cache log so that the owner knows that it maybe should be archived.

About the Phi Phi cache: I rummaged the area very carefully and didn't find it and I'm pretty sure it's not there any more, but the viewpoint is worth visiting anyway. Not to mention Phi Phi itself, it was a pity that we spent only one night on that amazing island. icon_smile.gif And again, despite all searching, maybe I just missed the cache there... icon_confused.gif

It's not that hard to get to Krabi area from Phuket. We just booked a one day trip to the Krabi Area (Riley Beach, Poda and Chicken islands etc) and I got a chance to look for one of the 3 caches there (which I found! icon_smile.gif ). But of course it would be better just to stay at least 1 night there too in order to have enough time to hunt all the caches there.

Anyway, I wish lucky cache hunting to anyone going to Thailand. The vacation was great even when I didn't find all the caches I was looking for. icon_smile.gif

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

This one has been solved!

I was there a week or so ago and spent an hour searching the area (Not easy due to the amount of trash there).. icon_eek.gif

Thailand really does need to look at the amount of plastic bags and water bottles they discard..It is a problem everywhere in Thailand...

Anyway: Some tree loppers in the area "found" me and asked if I was looking for a plastic box.. (umm, chai !). They said, they had seen me looking with the "radar thing!" icon_rolleyes.gif (GPS) as they had seen others before ! and said "Sorry: they had taken it home to use as storage in the kitchen"..

So that's that ! I have placed a new cache nearby (600 metres) away to replace this one.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Piggy:

This one has been solved!

Well done! Now I can sleep again.icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

quote:
They said, they had seen me looking with the "radar thing!" icon_rolleyes.gif (GPS) as they had seen others before !

Wonder if they were those guys we saw there while we were desperately seeking for the lost cache. There was 3 or 4 young guys with one of them wielding quite scary-looking machete.icon_eek.gif We greeted each other, but didn't talk to them, and they continued their journey. I thought they were just teenagers having a little adventure amongst the ruins.

- All you need is a sick mind and a healthy body. -

Hi there, Im about to go to Thailand end of Nov. for a couple of weeks.

I will visit the north of Thailand, Bangkok and probably Ko Samui.

Hopefully I will be able to find a Cache in Thailand. I know theres a Travelbug in switzerland which destiny it is to go to Thailand. Hopefully I will have the chance to pick it up and give him a lift to Thailand. Keep your fingers crossed.

From the Cachelogs in Thailand I know that lots of the Caches got lost in no time. Anyway, this wont keep me off giving it a try..

So keep your fingers crossed.

can anyone recommend a Cache to me which is still in place?

Regards

-Stefan

~amnesius

I'm doing my second visit to Thailand at the end of February 2004. I'll spend a few days in BKK and about a week in Hua Hin.

I'm planning to search every Bangkok cache there is available at the time, and the only one near Hua Hin, if it's still there and if I have time.

Hope there'll be new caches around by February, but guess there are not many geocaching people staying in Thailand so that they would be allowed to place caches there.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

I'll be leaving in ten days or so! :blink: I'll check at least the Bangkok caches, and probably the one between Hua Hin and Cha Am. So at least you'll get some information if they're still there.

Of course, it would be neat if some local hid some more caches in BKK before I come. :)

There is some great caches in Thailand that we placed in April 2003.

I have had them all checked and they are all still in place (Mar 2004).

I too will be back in Thailand in June this year and will be keen to check out some of the other caches around the place if I get a chance.

You really have to hide the caches in places that won't be found easily, otherwise they do dissapear quickly.

I happily havent lost one yet and have placed about 8 overseas caches. ;)