Caching in the Philippines

MissJenn

Has anyone here ever cached in the Philippines? Any tips for me? I may try to hit one or two this summer, while I'm there. I will mainly be in the Visayas and a bit of Manila, of course - but a side trip here and there is not out of the question.

I'm originally from the Philippines, but as with many of these international geocache sites: it always helps a little to talk to someone who has been there.

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

We were in the Philippines earlier in the year. It was impossible for us to actually find any caches while we were there as they are really spread out and not very many of them although there is now one in central Manila at a park that we have visited so we will go there next time.

We left 2 caches - both virtuals (for several reasons). One is in Manila - Ultimo Adios - it is at an historic park that is well worth visiting. We really enjoyed this visit.

The second one has had no visitors as yet - it is called Cryptic and is in the north of Northern Luzon. Again this is a very historic site and well worth visiting if you are anywhere near!

All the best with your ccaching in the Philippines. We are from New Zealand and we just love the Philippines and especially the Filipino people - we will be back!

Sallies

Sallies

Hi,

Yes, geocaching is active here albeit very slow in "caching" on - "matumal", in Tagalog. There are 12 caches, a significant number of which are in Metro Manila. If you're here you can hit three of them in one go - Panda's Last Night Out (which I set up), Ultimo Adios, and Filipino Hero. These are in the city of Manila itself. Then there are another two in Makati, another city that's beside Manila. One (Makati Cache) is a physical cache but no one has found it, and the other one, like the three I mentioned, is a virtual cache - American Cemetery.

There was a good cache (Ifugao Hut) which I visited several times - the first two times it was there but the last time it was gone. I don't think it was revived, although I have not been there since December.

In the Visayas your best bet is a virtual cache in Cebu City, the King Who Defeated a Conqueror, although if you are fortunate enough to go to Boracay Island, one of our most famous beaches, you can easily get to Baling Hai.

I tried to find the physical cache in Corregidor, but there was a typhoon when I went so was not able to do so, but the virtual one was easy.

Please do go to Panda's Last Night Out. The best time is early evening, as there is a lot of al fresco entertainment and activities. Friday and Saturday nights have the most events.

quote:
Originally posted by Menie:

although if you are fortunate enough to go to Boracay Island, one of our most famous beaches, you can easily get to Baling Hai.

Menie, Salamat! This is all good info for me.

I hope to be in Boracay next week!

-- Do you have a towel handy?

Nice to know there are caches to find in my homeland...I've been emailing some friends and introducing them to this sport and hopefully they get involved and produce more caches. I'm not going back to Manila anytime soon but when I do return as a 'balikbayan', I hope to hit several caches and hide some of my own too.

Have GPS, Will Travel.

Hi everyone! I'm going to Manila in two weeks, and will do my best to find the geocaches, including the ones on Corrigidor. It should be fun. I hope to take some travel bugs along with me as well. I hope they get home. Actually, we may put them in and take them out at the same time.

Wahoo! I was able to hit 7 out of 12 caches in my home turf!!! It should technically be counted as 7 out of 11 since the one of two on Corregidor is probably history and needs to be archived. Anyways, what fun!

First off, the challenge of explaining the game to people. Secondly, my ever-present towel. Third, dodging the oh-so-amazing Philippine traffic.

My 2 cents:

- If you only have a precious few hours to cache in Manila, the obvious choice would be Ultimo Adios and the surrounding THREE other caches (all very close together).

- If you want to get the best cache in the country, opt for Baling Hai - but that requires quite a bit of a travel commitment on your part. It sure is gorgeous around there, though!

- If you want to hit Corregidor, don't go during typhoon season. This is what stopped us from going: the boat simply wouldn't go there during Typhoon Harurot!

If you have more specific questions, please post here or feel free to email me. Maybe I can help even a little.

Mabuhay!

[This message was edited by MissJenn on July 28, 2003 at 10:24 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by gmaxis:

when I do return as a 'balikbayan', I hope to hit several caches and hide some of my own too.

Great idea, but please make sure you have provisions for maintaining the cache even when you are not in the country anymore. I think the approvers are cracking down on these so-called Vacation Caches (and rightly so). icon_smile.gif

Upon my return to the U.S., I had a brilliant (though now useless) thought: I could have set up an Event Cache in Malate somewhere! That would have been fun. Maybe I could have met Menie, volunturista, paulbaugio and any other cachers in the area. Maybe someone else can use this idea in the future!

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are you doing?

quote:
Originally posted by run4cache:

I hope to take some travel bugs along with me as well. I hope they get home. Actually, we may put them in and take them out at the same time.

IMHO:

Your TB would be very, very, very safe in Baling Hai and reasonably safe in Ifugao Hut. I did not visit the other traditional caches in the country, so I can't offer any advice on those.

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are you doing?

I just got back from Manila where I successfully found the Makati Cache. It hadn't been found for over a year. I posted some photos as well, as the Mini-Jeepney travel bug went with me. I didn't have time for caching, but I did manage to look for three caches. The Ifugao Hut location was closed and guarded, so I had to give that one a no-find. It was fun looking, and satisfying finding the other 2.

Also, a note regarding the Mini-Jeepney travel bug -- I changed its goal to give you a chance to bring it the the Philippines:

"If you have any plans of going to the Philippines to cache, please email me, and I will revise this goal to get the travel bug to a chache near you before your trip."

Keep me posted if I can get the travel bug moving your way in time for a trip.

Welcome back, run4cache.

The Mini Jeepney and I were BOTH in Washington State this past week, but alas, I did not know that until I got home to PA last night. What are the chances of THAT, huh?

Anyhow, it's still on my watch List, adn we'll see if it and I ever cross paths...

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are your numbers? ;-)

Ikea,

Wrong conclusion. Read the logs of the Philippine caches and you can figure out who lives here and who doesn't. As far as statistics go, I am the most active geocacher living in the Philippines, having 20 logged finds (not to mention the other ones I found with my brother in California which I didn't get around to logging anymore). I've found caches in California, Manila, Corregidor, and Singapore.

Anyway, to start, it would be good if you have a GPS unit. I don't know where you can purchase one here in Manila. I ordered mine from Amazon, had it shipped to relatives who were visiting California, and got it when they came home.

If you don't have a GPS unit, you can still try for the Ifugao Hut cache. Read the logs and all the clues are there.

sorry to have missed your july entry. Such a "big" error on my part. icon_redface.gif It must be the surprise of finding a web site on geocaching.(last week I was calling you guys "gps club"). icon_biggrin.gif

Let's start again.

Hi! Nice to see "kababayans" from the Philippines with a gps unit and actually using them for fun and adventure. I've been using my gps since 1999. Not much to do back then; mark our house, my brother's house, my sis-in-law's house, churches, banks, groceries and supermarkets; you get the picture. With no web sites found that would interest me. I've cut my subscription to the net.

Last week I got a modem (after urging from my sis-in-law),went on-line and found this site.

I was surprised to see only a handful of geocaches in the Philippines. I'll be spending 3 months in Manila (and visiting other areas/islands) and wanted to see if anyone is interested in seeding some more caches. Let me know if a) you are a geocacher in the Philippines and are interested, or B) if you will be visiting in 2006. Cheers!

Edited by shiftycooper

Spa Susi and I have a friend who lives in Manilla. We might take a trip to see her in August, especially if there are more caches within easy striking distance of Manila. If we go and there are no caches to find, we may plant a few and have our friend maintain them. When will you be visiting?

Spa Susi and I have a friend who lives in Manilla. We might take a trip to see her in August, especially if there are more caches within easy striking distance of Manila. If we go and there are no caches to find, we may plant a few and have our friend maintain them. When will you be visiting?

I'm actually here right now, in Laguna (Quezon), but I'm leaving at the end of July. Most caches in the manila area are either virtual or small traditional. I'm trying to find a good location in Makati or Intramuros for a larger travelbug cache, and I'll be adding a few micros in the cities as well. So maybe by the time you get here there will be some more caches for you!

I'm trying to find a good location in Makati or Intramuros for a larger travelbug cache,

I woudl think that it will be difficult to find a safe location (safe in the long-term) for a traditional geocache in those areas.

How is your visit going?

Been to Borakay? (It's gorgeous!) (And there's a geocache there.)

Has anyone here ever cached in the Philippines? Any tips for me? I may try to hit one or two this summer, while I'm there. I will mainly be in the Visayas and a bit of Manila, of course - but a side trip here and there is not out of the question.<BR><BR>I'm originally from the Philippines, but as with many of these international geocache sites: it always helps a little to talk to someone who has been there.<BR><BR>-- I recognize fun when I see it.

My Boyfriend is from Davao and since I have got him into Geocaching, he wants to leave one there next time he is home.

Has anyone here ever cached in the Philippines? Any tips for me? I may try to hit one or two this summer, while I'm there. I will mainly be in the Visayas and a bit of Manila, of course - but a side trip here and there is not out of the question.<BR><BR>I'm originally from the Philippines, but as with many of these international geocache sites: it always helps a little to talk to someone who has been there.<BR><BR>-- I recognize fun when I see it.

My Boyfriend is from Davao and since I have got him into Geocaching, he wants to leave one there next time he is home.

Holy moly.

A 2009 response from a thread I started in 2003. Awesome!

:unsure:

That's cool about your Davao idea. Just make sure that he has an appropriate maintenance plan for that Davao cache.

By now there is a cache in Davao (Mabuhay) and it's not a hard find. I went there last august and left a geocoin and a TB.

I've also done the virtual in Cebu and some virtuals in Manila and Coregidor. Dropped some stuff in Ifugao hut as well. :anibad:

Zangvogel.

Holy moly.

A 2009 response from a thread I started in 2003. Awesome!

<_<

That's cool about your Davao idea. Just make sure that he has an appropriate maintenance plan for that Davao cache.

Please forgive me if I am doing this in the wrong place, very new here. I will be traveling to the philippines 21/03/10 for about a month or two. I have a Garmin 76Cx and I am wondering where to get maps of the philippines for my GPS? Or will I have to rely on just the cords to locate Caches.

If anyone can help me on this I will be very grateful.

Thanks

Haydn

hi everyone,

mabuhay

cheers from manila.

just to share, bought a gps for my car last march and alas, i tripped into geocaching.com and started researching.

havent got any moment dropping by here at Groundspeak until now.

this is so great!!

im also into airsoft (using this same account as my airsoft callsign), that's why i got that gps. we sometimes use it in our games in large areas, (30 hectares or more).

started influencing my buddies to indulge in geocaching. hopefully, they would also catch the itch.

found 3 caches as of this writing. 1 traditional with makunochi and 2 virtuals with and my siblings.

(crossing fingers) inch by inch, this sport will crawl into other pinoys.

@ fatherhaydn, i have a philippine map. it should be compatible since it's installed in my nuvi 205.

til then

-espiya-

Edited by espiya

hi everyone,

mabuhay

cheers from manila.

just to share, bought a gps for my car last march and alas, i tripped into geocaching.com and started researching.

havent got any moment dropping by here at Groundspeak until now.

this is so great!!

im also into airsoft (using this same account as my airsoft callsign), that's why i got that gps. we sometimes use it in our games in large areas, (30 hectares or more).

started influencing my buddies to indulge in geocaching. hopefully, they would also catch the itch.

found 3 caches as of this writing. 1 traditional with makunochi and 2 virtuals with and my siblings.

(crossing fingers) inch by inch, this sport will crawl into other pinoys.

@ fatherhaydn, i have a philippine map. it should be compatible since it's installed in my nuvi 205.

til then

-espiya-

:laughing:

hello and good day ( magandang araw)

I'm from Manila also. Here in Mandaluyong City. I'm new in geocache or geocaching.

this was introduced to me by a friend just recently. I'm scheduling this week to start.

you're into airsoft also? where do you play? I got to use a Garmin brand when I played in a jungle event last year.

anyway, hope many more Noypi will get nto this fun recreation. Mabuhay!!!

Hey guys I will be visiting Manila and San Jose area for three weeks in August. I have never attempted GC in another country and am eager to try. Hopefully I can get a few "finds" and even transport a few TB's over there as well as bring a few back to San Diego, CA. Wish me luck. :drama:

Will see if I can place one in or near Shangri-la resort in Cebu this summer, my husband knows the manager. Possibly a letterbox hybrid, accessable on Atlasquest as well, if I can rig it up so the stamp wont get stolen/traded.

We may be able to place some in other places, but need to find some willing minders...

Really hope to find some good geocaches out there. :)

Wow, if I put a LB hybrid out, it will the the first of its kind in the Phil. Now I HAVE to try! :laughing:

Edited by FloridaFour

Hello!

myself and my two other GEO mates will be in Sampaloc Manila from JAN 16-FEB 8. 2012. they are both flip which is awesome for me b.c I am not lol.

wanted to put this out there to see if there are any tip's or things we should be prepared for in order to do our treasure hunting!? :D

also if there are any other cashers that will be in that area @ that time let me kno, random times = always a good time! :grin:

I am currently on GEO withdrawal can't wait!

Happy treasure hunting! :anibad:

We are set to go to the Philippines at the end of June for 2 weeks. I don't think we're going to Manila at all this time. Cebu, Mindinao and Bohol are on our list. I've never cached there at all, so I guess all I'd suggest is look at the maps ahead of time and see if you can download maps of the Philippines into your gps. Get a taxi to drive you around if possible. Traffic in Manila is HORRIBLE. But have fun and enjoy! I would also suggest bringing a brief explanation of geocaching to keep in your pocket in case anyone asks... Bring a camera and act like a tourist. Oh, if you're not Filipino, they'll know anyway. LOL.

P.S. Don't drink the water, ice cubes or raw veggies, and go to the hospital at first sign of fever and ... tummy trouble. Take it from one who knows, my son got Typhoid and Amoebiasis last time we went to Manila and stayed at a resort.... Get your Typhoid vaccination NOW.