Complete Your Own Labs?

JL_HSTRE

When I look at the map in the AL app the Labs I created show as uncompleted Labs. Shouldn't they have a different icon? New Labs get a special icon.

If I go into one of my Labs it's possible to Start the Lab. Is it actually possible to log my own Lab? That's not been allowed for geocaches for several years. I guess I should go pad my stats while I can!

Yes, I am logged into the app under the same account that created the Labs.

• Upvote 1
On 3/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, Max and 99 said:

Yes, you can log your own adventure labs.

And I don't feel right about doing it, so I won't.  I don't even like logging hubby's caches, though I have logged his on occasion as we do maintenance, or if I wasn't there when he hid the cache and I actually "found" it!  I'm still debating if I want to "do" the Adventure Lab he just published, as we set it up together, and I actually created the Adventure with his account.  He doesn't have the patience to attend to all the details needed to create the lab pages....but I digress.  I may eventually complete it - after the first 10 have done so and the stats won't show me doing it (so far he has 4 completions).  Then again, I may not - not into the stats and numbers game.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:51 PM, Max and 99 said:

I wish there was a filter to not include mine on the map and I do wish they had a different icon.

I'm in agreement here - just like caches that you own have a different icon, something could indicate that this is YOUR Ad Lab.  As it is, it just shows as not completed, but I don't plan to do it, so....

I am a bit late to the party, but I found a """solution""" to this problem.

If you finish your own adventure lab, you will get all of the locations as "finds" on your account, and the whole adventure lab will be marked as "completed". Afterwards, you can go to https://labs.geocaching.com/logs/ and delete your logs, reducing the finds number on your account back to the original value. However, the adventure lab itself will still remain in a "completed" state, meaning you can filter it out with that filter if you want to.

This is a hacky workaround, but I found it useful since I pretty much always filter out completed adventure labs.

Edited by MeraJean
  • Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
2 hours ago, MeraJean said:

If you finish your own adventure lab, you will get all of the locations as "finds" on your account, and the whole adventure lab will be marked as "completed". Afterwards, you can go to https://labs.geocaching.com/logs/ and delete your logs, reducing the finds number on your account back to the original value. However, the adventure lab itself will still remain in a "completed" state, meaning you can filter it out with that filter if you want to.

This is a hacky workaround, but I found it useful since I pretty much always filter out completed adventure labs.

Yes but many of us don't like to log finds on our own geocaches or adventure labs. So I wish they gave an option to filter owned ALs from the map view.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 8/8/2022 at 12:24 PM, JeanM22 said:

Thank you! I just did a test run on my AL and came home to log a cache I found after the test run, and couldn't figure out why the number was off until I checked the AL.  Even though it was in test mode, it logged it.  That's dumb! Thanks for confirming when I deleted it won't come back.  That seems like a flaw on GS part -- your own AL should not be logged.

• Funny 2

Okay, is this another glitch? After deleting the logs of my own AL (when it was in test mode), it oddly also deleted them from my ownership on the Geocaches own section of the profile. Like they were there while doing the test, then I deleted them from my logs and changed from private testing to public, and now the profile doesn't show them anymore? It shows the correct total number I own, but under Labs, it doesn't show them at all? You'd think the bugs would have been worked out by now, am I missing something?

12 minutes ago, Stamp My Art said:

Okay, is this another glitch? After deleting the logs of my own AL (when it was in test mode), it oddly also deleted them from my ownership on the Geocaches own section of the profile. Like they were there while doing the test, then I deleted them from my logs and changed from private testing to public, and now the profile doesn't show them anymore? It shows the correct total number I own, but under Labs, it doesn't show them at all? You'd think the bugs would have been worked out by now, am I missing something?

I don't think these are bugs that you are describing. I don't think you were using test mode, because when you use test mode no one gets credit for answering questions. I think you tested it under private, which you mentioned above. That is not the same as test mode and you will get credit for answering the questions. 

Edited by Max and 99
On 8/9/2022 at 4:24 AM, JeanM22 said:

I thought this was a good solution as well. I discovered it 3 years ago already, after creating my first AL.
But now, after putting a couple more out, I was playing around and discovered the following:

even though you delete your "finds", they are still recorded in the AL stats. I didn't know this before because the stats show only the first 10 to complete. But now I did it not too long after only one person had done it, and now I'm in my own AL stats...And can clearly see that even though my logs are deleted, it still shows up on the AdLab itself, just not on my profile count.

Just something to be aware of if you want to "remove" your own ones from the map this way.

Groundspeak should really fix these things by adding another filtering option and by preventing ow logging of ALs.

Also, I found that I can review my own Adlab, but at least it's possible to delete that. But this also shouldn't be possible.

Screenshot_20220820-182224.png

Screenshot_20220821-150554.png

AL stats.png

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't think these are bugs that you are describing. I don't think you were using test mode, because when you use test mode no one gets credit for answering questions. I think you tested it under private, which you mentioned above. That is not the same as test mode and you will get credit for answering the questions. 

I did both, switched it to private and then clicked on the test thingy (it asked me to delete the test when I came back to the computer too), but either way test or private, they now don't show on my profile as created, but weirdly the total number of caches I own includes them, like the numbers don't match the total is exactly the 5 lab locations different. ? So, that's the part that seems like a "bug" that it shows as no AL created (there's one of the original Lab way back when we were gifted a Valentines one, but not the Adventure Labs just created a couple days back).  They were showing. My count was 6, now they don't show it's a count of 1, but it's active as Public.  confuzzled

Edited by Stamp My Art
1 hour ago, Stamp My Art said:

they now don't show on my profile as created, but weirdly the total number of caches I own

?

1 hour ago, Stamp My Art said:

but not the Adventure Labs just created a couple days back)

It doesn't usually show in your account total until someone completes it. If someone just recently completed your new one then maybe the system just hasn't caught up yet?

• Upvote 1
  • Surprised 1