South Korea

B B & J

There are no restrictions for bringing in a GPS into South Korea.

In general, don't expect to be able to bring a handheld GPS into countries that the US has a serious problem with; Cuba, N Korea, Iran, Iraq, etc. Expect to be able to bring it into countries we are friendly with.

Hey! My trip to Seoul was great.

Seoul is a very big city with over 12 million in population.

The Korean people are very nice to visit with.

I had a chance to see some interesting

places, with the help of some of the locals.

People every where you go seem to be interested

In helping you find your way around.

Seoul is a great place to visit.

There is a good chance I will be returning very soon.

If I go it will be on 5-25-02 through 6-8-02

Is there any other Geocachers going to be there??

Bernie.

:) Anyong-hasseyo!!! Hi--we're currently visiting Seoul and have been trying to locate geocaches here in which to plant a travel bug. Unfortunately, we don't have our GPS with us on this trip and the 'traditional' geocaches are eluding us without the assistance of the GPS and the micro-caches are all too small in which to place the TB. If anybody would like to link up with us somewhere in/around Seoul to hand off a TB or to join us in a geocache hunt--drop us a line and we'll try to coordinate something. If not, the TB will return home to the US with us next week.

enigma4s :D

I am planning to travel to South Korea in late March or early April of 2005 and I will be living in the Pusan area for about a year. I would be interested in meeting other Geocachers in Korea while I am there. I'm also hoping to take a few travel bugs with me, so if you know of any travel bugs that would like to go to Korea, please let me know.

I am already trying to get my hands onAsia Bound (TB19BE) and Ruddygore's Ambassador to Asia (TBH7KK).

Hello everyone! I am in the military, and I am getting ready to go to S. Korea on a remote (1 year stay) Mid July 05 is when I will be there. I am new to Geocaching (found my first Today!) I would really like to see some more in Korea! Also I was wondering where to get the maps of S. Korea for my Etrex (Legend) any help??

Edited by Desert_Toad

Maps will be a problem.

When I found out that I was going to Korea, I tried to get maps for my Garmin eTrex Legend. To sum up a series of emails and international phone calls, maps of Korea are made in Korean (using the Hangul character set), not English (using the Roman alphabet). Garmin Legends (and presumably other Garmin GPSrs) made to use Roman characters cannot display Hangul and vice-versa. Thus the maps cannot be loaded.

In other words, you can only load and display Korean maps on a Korean Legend, and then you couldn't load your maps of the States on it. You'd need to own two different GPSrs, one to use inside Korea and one to use everywhere else.

Yes, it's insane. But that's what Garmin told me.

Meanwhile, I arrived in Pusan about two weeks ago, and I'm holding on a geocoin that needs to be deposited into a cache somewhere in Korea. It's a long story, but I'm unable to go geocaching for a while. Is there anyone in Pusan who'd be interested in getting it from me and dropping it into a cache?

:) Hi All this is mbrien and I am also stationed in the ROK here for 2.5 years already and another 1.5 to go. I just got hooked on Geocaching and I am planning my first hunt for one weekend in May. I got lucky and found a GPS over at the PX at CP Humphreys. I plan on making a cache soon after I get some things together. I hope to see or meet one of my fellow geocachers in the future.

mbrien

Greetings all! I just arrived in the ROK a week ago for 2+ years. I've been exploring the city and I'm about ready tostart geocaching. In fact, I've got two TBs I need to drop off soon. I look forward to hopefully meeting some of you, and since I'll be here a while I hope to plant a few caches myself.

I'm mostly using a Garmin eTrex Vista C. I noticed some posts on here about a lack of basemaps, and I share your pain, although I HAVE been able to get multiple geosats, unlike another poster. Basically, I've just started marking my own reference points in Seoul and saving them on MapSource (which also doesn't have a basemap).

Anyway, I hope to bag my first cache in SK this week to drop off my TBs. If any of you would like to plan a get-together sometime over a weekend, please drop me a line and perhaps we could do a joint hunt.

BTW, I'm down at Yongsan, living just off post.

Chris

Edited by evil_ichabod

Hi all,

I am coming into Korea for a short visit arriving Nov 2nd and departing Nov 12th. I would like to hit a few caches if possible while I am there.

I am also bringing a White Jeep with me to drop and hopefully tour around the country...

Hope to run into some local cachers during my visit...

mbrien, yep we've been pretty busy placing and hunting caches. found all caches south of Seoul except two- Buraksan - SongbulSa, and Buraksan Rest Stop. Both are on the same hill / mountain. We hiked up there one day (just South of Osan), but there was too much snow on the ground to actually find a cache. Maybe we could go attempt these two when the snow melts.