What is a guardian?

kfao

11 minutes ago, kfao said:

I see it all the time in the description.   Thanks in advance  KFAO

It’s good to ask the Cache Owner, the name shown at the top of a cache page.  Sometimes it’s hard to guess what they mean.

What’s the context?  Where is the cache icon?

A guardian is a sentry or protector.  Wild guess, it’s a guard rail.  Other guess, it’s a term for Cache Owner, but again, context.  A cache isn’t often hidden on a Cache Owner.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Maybe a sentence or two from one of those descriptions you see all the time will help in figuring it out.    :)

Like geoaware, we usually see "guardian of the cache" when someone notices a critter somewhere around it. Often a pic included.

If you're seeing it "all the time" than it's probably another hint (as kunarion says) for a guard rail cache...

On 3/16/2022 at 5:32 PM, geoawareUSA9 said:

Whenever I see it, it usually is some critter that is hanging out on or around the cache - big spider, toad, iguana, whatever.

This is what we've always encountered. It's sometimes in the cache description but we see it mostly in cacher's logs. Sometimes a critter of some sort moves in close by after the cache is placed. 

5 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

This is what we've always encountered. It's sometimes in the cache description but we see it mostly in cacher's logs. Sometimes a critter of some sort moves in close by after the cache is placed. 

Is that a regional thing?  Cachers finding my caches have never used the term "guardian" to say that there was an unspecified creature, even if it's a plastic fake animal that is supposed to be a surprise.  They type what kind of thing it is.  In the case of an actual live critter, I'm also specific about what it is.

Or is it in reference to a creature that was previously mentioned in the logs?

Edited by kunarion
1 minute ago, geoawareUSA9 said:

I've seen it in Alabama, I've seen it in Oklahoma, I've seen it in west Texas, and I've seen it in Virginia. I don't remember if I've seen it in Georgia.

If my cache acquires a "guardian", it's usually a very creepy spider.  They're not guarding much longer when I find them (sometimes inside a somewhat tightly closed bird house cache, spider web and all on the container inside).

But as to vagueness in animal identification, I did see a picture of a caterpillar on one of my Micro caches.  The critter was identified as a "little fellow". :)

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Is that a regional thing?  Cachers finding my caches have never used the term "guardian" to say that there was an unspecified creature, even if it's a plastic fake animal that is supposed to be a surprise. 

We've seen it more on photos than cache logs.  From NY to TN, so happens often enough to notice.   :)

12 minutes ago, kunarion said:

If my cache acquires a "guardian", it's usually a very creepy spider.  They're not guarding much longer when I find them (sometimes inside a somewhat tightly closed bird house cache, spider web and all on the container inside).

Around here it's often one of these (Alectura lathami):

d94e2d2f-2010-468a-9db7-37ca9d99ecc8.jpg

But yes, it's much more likely to see the "guardian" reference in logs than in the description.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1