Add a switch for map to show puzzles in corrected coordinate location instead of posted coordinate location

Hal-oween

20 minutes ago, Hal-oween said:

Once a puzzle or multicache is found, the map view reverts to show the smiley at the posted coordinates.  I realize some people like this as it shows geoarts in their posted positions.  As a cache hider, I would appreciate it if there was a switch in the map views that allowed you to see found caches in the corrected coordinate position.  This would be useful to see where open spaces are in parks and along trails when scouting locations for new hides.

Yeah this has been asked for many many times over the years! I too would like this feature.

I'm not sure what you are saying about multi-caches though. The posted coordinates must be at the first waypoint and if it's a physical waypoint that matters too when searching for new places to put a geocache.

Edited by Max and 99
6 hours ago, Hal-oween said:

Once a puzzle or multicache is found, the map view reverts to show the smiley at the posted coordinates.  I realize some people like this as it shows geoarts in their posted positions.  As a cache hider, I would appreciate it if there was a switch in the map views that allowed you to see found caches in the corrected coordinate position.  This would be useful to see where open spaces are in parks and along trails when scouting locations for new hides.

Agree, and you might think it could be easily done by showing both the original and solved coords with two different symbols?! It does that before a find, IIRC? So why not after too?

A multi (or a mystery, or Wherigo or letterbox hybrid) can have any number of intermediate physical waypoints, and there isn't really a good way for a finder to mark those (nothing at all on the website, and no distinction for physical waypoints on the app).

On the other hand, having all this stuff easily visible on a map would make brute-forcing the location of your new cache easier too...

Cachly shows original coordinates on an edited listing as an additional waypoint on the map ("OC"), and also has the option to show all additional waypoints. (and has an option to show caches at posted or corrected coordinates). It's extremely handy, and yeah it's been requested (posted or corrected) on the website for a looong time. Who knows if they'll ever allow it.

21 hours ago, Hal-oween said:

I realize some people like this as it shows geoarts in their posted positions.

I'm actually not sure this is an established fact. Someone *thinks* some people like to see the geoart after completion, and comments in the forums often mention that, but I don't recall anyone in the forums actually saying they'd prefer it. Seems like every week or two I run into yet another example where returning the cache location to the posted coordinates is unhelpful and confusing. And I haven't yet had a case where I've found it preferable.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
32 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I'm actually not sure this is an established fact. Someone *thinks* some people like to see the geoart after completion, and comments in the forums often mention that, but I don't recall anyone in the forums actually saying they'd prefer it. Seems like every week or two I run into yet another example where returning the cache location to the posted coordinates is unhelpful and confusing. And I haven't yet had a case where I've found it preferable.

Yeah I think the only practical benefit to returning icons to their posted locations is to see the original geoart shape with smileys over it. That's about all I can imagine. And for a first-hand opinion, it would be nice, for screenshots and showcasing - but, it would only be nice temporarily. The option to show them there would be secondary to keeping the icons at the corrected, actual, physical locations.  I think that's what most people would think.

I'd be surprised if someone would sincerely want to have corrected icons appear at posted, and actually remain there perpetually. Especially if it's a universal option for icons.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, dprovan said:

I prefer to be able to see the geoart. In the beginning I actually avoided correcting coordinates for geoart caches because I didn't realize they would return to the posted coordinates after logging. It is not very important, but I can't think of a situation where I'd prefer them to stay at the corrected coordinates.

When hiding a geocache you have this other map with red circles around physical posted coordinates. There's where you would benefit from having your corrected coordinates for unknowns, multis and whatnot displayed! For multis with physical posted coordinates both could show up. In really tight spots you could even temporarily "correct" a few caches outside the area of interest to match all the physical intermediate stages that you know of and have them show up as well. But I guess there is some technical reason why this would not work.

48 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

I prefer to be able to see the geoart. In the beginning I actually avoided correcting coordinates for geoart caches because I didn't realize they would return to the posted coordinates after logging. It is not very important, but I can't think of a situation where I'd prefer them to stay at the corrected coordinates.

In my region there are 141 mystery caches but the only geoart amongst them is a series placed for the 2018 Morisset mega which partly overlapped into the north-western corner of the Central Coast region. The rest are either stand-alone puzzle caches, AL bonus caches or challenges, and I'm struggling to think of any good reason why I'd want these to return to their original coordinates after finding them.

48 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

When hiding a geocache you have this other map with red circles around physical posted coordinates. There's where you would benefit from having your corrected coordinates for unknowns, multis and whatnot displayed! For multis with physical posted coordinates both could show up. In really tight spots you could even temporarily "correct" a few caches outside the area of interest to match all the physical intermediate stages that you know of and have them show up as well. But I guess there is some technical reason why this would not work.

Yes, it'd be nice if the planning map included solved coordinates of mysteries and multis, as well as all physical waypoints and finals of my own caches. Yes, I know I should know where my own physical waypoints are but it'd still be reassuring to see them as red circles on the planning map.

Edited by barefootjeff

I think an actual more useful option would simply be to show the base icon map layer - what you as user are able to see, but no log icons, no smileys, no corrected coordinates. Just the vanilla map. That would address the desire to view geo art shapes and without being covered in smileys; and it would be useful for browsing and screenshotting without needing to use a sockpuppet (and likely basic) account just to see 'original' icons on the map.

I would totally be in favour of that option more than merely a toggle to view icons at their posted coordinates.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:53 PM, Hal-oween said:

I want to simply voice my "second" for the original request.  A toggle button or preference which allows selection of whether "found" caches are displayed at "corrected coords" or "original coords" would be very helpful, not just for cache hide placement (which I think is sufficient reason in itself), but also for when planning cache outings with other cachers, where some of the cachers in the group may have already found some of the caches in a given area.

• Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

All of my multi and puzzle caches are shown at the final coordinates on the map. One geocache I can only view at the posted coordinates, because I had found it before I adopted it. It will only show at the posted coordinates on the map, which is how any cache I have found is shown. But I wish the fact that I now own it would override the fact that I found it so I can display it at the final coordinates on the map.

Edited by Max and 99
29 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

All of my multi and puzzle caches are shown at the final coordinates on the map. One geocache I can only view at the posted coordinates, because I had found it before I adopted it. It will only show at the posted coordinates on the map, which is how any cache I have found is shown. But I wish the fact that I now own it would override the fact that I found it so I can display it at the final coordinates on the map.

I generally leave mine at the posted coordinates so I can see them as other caches will see them on the map and know if someone plonks another cache on top of my bogus coordinates. I think the only time I put the final coordinates in as corrected coordinates was when I was trying to see if there might have been an easier way of getting to GZ on the map or satellite image (there wasn't).

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

All of my multi and puzzle caches are shown at the final coordinates on the map.

Interesting, all of my multi (I only own 1) and puzzle caches are shown at the POSTED coordinates, not the final locations.  I haven't adopted a puzzle or multi, so I can't say how that might show up on my map...I checked this on the offcial app (Android) on my phone, and on the Search map as well as the Browse map on my computer on the website.  Any puzzles I have found by other cachers are shown at the posted coordinates as well - the only ones showing at the final are ones I have solved but not yet found, and I have entered the corrected coordinates; it shows as a puzzle piece on my maps, so I can know when I am in the area of solved puzzle.

47 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I choose to put all my puzzle and multi-caches at the final coordinates on the map. It's easier for me when I do maintenance. Just my preference. 

And I never knew I could do that!  Just tried it with one of my puzzles, and it works!  Puts the star icon (for my owned caches) at the final location....still relatively new to this hobby and still learning new tricks!  Thanks, Max and 99!

I keep caches at the final coordinates as well - primarily, physical finals and physical waypoints (in Cachly at least) because those to me are more relevant and informative than geoart smileys - the layer of known physical elements in the geocaching realm. There are other ways to get those completed geoarts in the odd circumstance I'd like a screenshot of them.

I find it would helpful to have the smiley at final location. I’ve found few mysteries, physically dropped a TB, logged my find only to then have to try and find the original smiley to be able to log the TB drop. I try to remember to drop TB first now if a puzzle. If I don’t then it’s hard to find which original cache it is as you are no longer physically near it on the map that comes up to select which cache to drop the TB in, if you get what I mean. I assume owner has the option not the cacher.

48 minutes ago, csg121 said:

I find it would helpful to have the smiley at final location. I’ve found few mysteries, physically dropped a TB, logged my find only to then have to try and find the original smiley to be able to log the TB drop. I try to remember to drop TB first now if a puzzle. If I don’t then it’s hard to find which original cache it is as you are no longer physically near it on the map that comes up to select which cache to drop the TB in, if you get what I mean. I assume owner has the option not the cacher.

The owner has the option of showing their geocache on the map at the posted or correct coordinates for their view. But that has zero affect on other players. So you are correct that the owner has the option but not the player who has found that geocache. 

Based on your post in another thread it seems like you log on the desktop not the app. With that said, you can go to your "recently viewed" geocaches as a quick way to drop your trackable. 

Thank you for confirming it’s the owner not the players option. I do log on the app but often try to solve puzzle caches at home not on the app. I also prefer to plan my caching on an iPad not on the app. I’m finding the current map issues making this so tricky. Sometimes it’s fine, other times doesn’t work at all and I can’t figure out why! I’m not overly techy but it’s so frustrating. 

On 4/11/2022 at 5:49 PM, Max and 99 said:

The owner has the option of showing their geocache on the map at the posted or correct coordinates for their view.

I think this is slightly misleading, a CO has no more control over displaying their own caches than they do over any other cache.

The fact is anyone can choose to show any cache which they have not found  at either the posted or corrected co-ords by editing the co-ords or not.

However everyone is forced to display a cache which they have found at the posted co-ords on the map.

As most cachers haven't found their own caches, that enables them to use the corrected co-ords or posted co-ords (as they can for any cache), but in the rare situations where a CO has found a cache they own (as you stated above) then it is forced to display at the posted co-ords.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

I think this is slightly misleading, a CO has no more control over displaying their own caches than they do over any other cache.

The fact is anyone can choose to show any cache which they have not found  at either the posted or corrected co-ords by editing the co-ords or not.

However everyone is forced to display a cache which they have found at the posted co-ords on the map.

As most cachers haven't found their own caches, that enables them to use the corrected co-ords or posted co-ords (as they can for any cache), but in the rare situations where a CO has found a cache they own (as you stated above) then it is forced to display at the posted co-ords.

You're right. I get that.

8 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

Right, of course. They only have more flexibility with their own caches because their own caches are never marked found, hence they are always displayed on the map at the changed coordinates.

7 hours ago, dprovan said:

Right, of course. They only have more flexibility with their own caches because their own caches are never marked found, hence they are always displayed on the map at the changed coordinates.

Except when you adopt the cache that you already found. That's my one outlier on the map. The only one I can't put at the corrected coordinates, and what prompted my April 1st post.

Edited by Max and 99