Old questions to the Dutch community (before 11-11-2011)

Night Crawlers

Try this one GC1HW3J

And come drink a cup or coffe with us always welcome

Greetings fellow geocachers from the Netherlands!

I'm from Portugal and I'll be visiting the Netherlands in February (14th to 17th), with some friends (at least one more geocacher). I'll land in Eindhoven and I'll probably be there for a few hours, then going to Rotterdam (by train), where I'll be staying.

I'll probably go visit Amsterdam too, for a day.

I hope to find some time to go seek for some geocaches. Any suggestions of places/geocaches to visit in Rotterdam or nearby? I'm going to try to take some travel bugs with me and bring some back. Any recommend "TB-Hotel" near the Eindhoven airport or some other place I should go for trading TB's?

Thanks,

Bruno

Hi Shiltonpig,

I read you mail here and i saw that someone spotted te bug on the 10 of februari.

I mailed the owners of the cache and asked them that if they performed a cachcontrol they take out the bug and send it back on the road again.

Hope this helpes.

Regards andy

Greetings from England

My travelbug has been stuck in the following cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...60-afe2764f7472

or GC1F5HY

Just how remote is this part of the Netherlands? What is the likelihood of the cache being found any time soon?

Thanks in advance

Shiltonpig

Good morning everyone and apologize for my intrusion. I am looking for my geocoin Pathtag Serpha: Mincha Pathtag Sherpa.

It was removed from the cache GC11RCB De Schat van Schenkenshul by Lars1994, leaving the log was the following:

I got it home now, i will place it later somewhere else.

He wanted to know if any of you know this geocacher and can contact to tell him that he must leave my geocoin in another cache.

The tours took geocoin 2107.4 km when he disappeared. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2226654

Thanks for your help and a hug from Spain.

If you some clue, please e-mail me to: a.acedo@gmail.com

Mincha

Good morning everyone and apologize for my intrusion. I am looking for my geocoin Pathtag Serpha: Mincha Pathtag Sherpa.

It was removed from the cache GC11RCB De Schat van Schenkenshul by Lars1994, leaving the log was the following:

I got it home now, i will place it later somewhere else.

He wanted to know if any of you know this geocacher and can contact to tell him that he must leave my geocoin in another cache.

The tours took geocoin 2107.4 km when he disappeared. http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2226654

Thanks for your help and a hug from Spain.

If you some clue, please e-mail me to: a.acedo@gmail.com

Mincha

Oeps .... one year ago and found by a newbie cacher ;)

I did sent him an email and asked to drop the Geocoin in the same or another cache as soon as possible!

Hope this will help :D

Edited by Team Firefox

Hello, I also mailed this newby about your coin, who's last log was in November 2009.

Maybe together we can pursue him to bring this coin in circulation again, even by a normal post/mail

to me. Then I will take care of it.

Let's hope it will turn up some day; it can't be someone with a big collection of geo-coins I presume.

Greetz, Lemfisk

Edited by Lemfisk

Hello, I also mailed this newby about your coin, who's last log was in November 2009.

Maybe together we can pursue him to bring this coin in circulation again, even by a normal post/mail

Let's hope it will turn up some day; it can't be someone with a big collection of geo-coins I presume.

Greetz, Lemfisk

Thank you Lemfisk, I hope my coin appear y travel lot of miles again

Mincha :)

Greetz, Lemfisk

Mincha :P

Mincha , you have a E-mail about this now with some exciting developments ! :laughing:

Greetz, Lemfisk

Mincha :P

Mincha , you have a E-mail about this now with some exciting developments ! :laughing:

Hi, Johan

That´s sound good.

You´ve got mail.

Thanks for your help.

HALLO - HALLO - HALLO - HALLO - HALLO - HALLO

Ich möchte diese Forum NICHT als ReiseKontaktBörse missbrauchen -

ABER !!!

Meine Tochter, mit Enkelin und Hund sucht kurzfristig , ab dem 22 Juli (+/_ ) eine Unterkunft in der Nähe der Holl. Küste für bis zu 4 Personen

Privat, Ferienwohnung, Ferienhaus, kleine Pension, kleines Hotel etc.

Der Preis sollte um 400 € /Woche liegen.

Cache sind ja überall - also, ist der Ort nicht wichtig.

Gibt es da Hilfe von CACHER zu CACHER ??

Gruß

johnny cash(e)

Hi All there in the Netherlands! The globalgirl is off again - this time to Egypt. But I DELIBERATELY set my air from Seattle to Cairo with a somewhat generous layover in Amsterdam so I could grab a cache or two in your fair city.

My flight arrives at about noon on Saturday, 28 August, and I'll have had a nice sleep airborne over the Atlantic so should be ready to go when the wheels hit the Schiphol tarmac! I plan to take the train into the city and would love to meet up with a local geocacher or three to grab a few boxes in Amsterdam before I depart that night for Cairo at 9 pm.

I've been to Amsterdam before, but it was many years ago, so I'm looking forward to:

A. eating a delish herring or three from those wondrous street carts I so fondly remember (did I mention I travel mainly to eat... and cache of course!) :)

B. Hopefully meeting up with a local cacher(s) to grab a few of boxes of Dutch joy.

Similarly, I once had a most outstanding 24 hr. Transiet Geofling with local geocachers in Taipei, so I'm hoping to do the same (albeit a tad shorter - 9 hrs. - layover) in Amsterdam.

At the very least - can anyone there kindly point me to a few of your BEST hides that might be doable for me while I'm there?

Hi All there in the Netherlands! The globalgirl is off again - this time to Egypt. But I DELIBERATELY set my air from Seattle to Cairo with a somewhat generous layover in Amsterdam so I could grab a cache or two in your fair city.

My flight arrives at about noon on Saturday, 28 August, and I'll have had a nice sleep airborne over the Atlantic so should be ready to go when the wheels hit the Schiphol tarmac! I plan to take the train into the city and would love to meet up with a local geocacher or three to grab a few boxes in Amsterdam before I depart that night for Cairo at 9 pm.

I've been to Amsterdam before, but it was many years ago, so I'm looking forward to:

A. eating a delish herring or three from those wondrous street carts I so fondly remember (did I mention I travel mainly to eat... and cache of course!) :blink:

B. Hopefully meeting up with a local cacher(s) to grab a few of boxes of Dutch joy.

Similarly, I once had a most outstanding 24 hr. Transiet Geofling with local geocachers in Taipei, so I'm hoping to do the same (albeit a tad shorter - 9 hrs. - layover) in Amsterdam.

At the very least - can anyone there kindly point me to a few of your BEST hides that might be doable for me while I'm there?

Hi Globalgirl, you might want to repeat your question here: http://forum.geocaching.nl/

You'll need to register, and it's probably all dutch, but many more dutch geocachers are active on that forum

Have a nice trip!

re Marcel.

personally i would recommend GC198, simply because it's the oldest cache i've ever found :blink:

as for trading trackables, GC1AZ39 proved to be helpful to me.

other than that, those two aren't particularly exciting though.

Edited by dfx

Hi Globalgirl, you might want to repeat your question here: http://forum.geocaching.nl/

You'll need to register, and it's probably all dutch, but many more dutch geocachers are active on that forum

Have a nice trip!

re Marcel.

if one doesn't speak dutch what use is that forum, you can't even figure out where to post your question

Have a nice trip!

re Marcel.

if one doesn't speak dutch what use is that forum, you can't even figure out where to post your question

I'll guess a Globalgirl knows her way around the world..

Thanks to All for trying to help.

Thanks for the link to the NL forums ME, and though I speak a couple few languages, alas one of them sadly isn't Dutch!

Nonetheless I spent a goodly time this morning huddled in Babelfish translating the various 'n sundry login screens for the NL forums. I even managed to register and got a verification email back. But after that things went downhill swiftly cuz...

While I can feebly wend my way to the "Algemene vragen" thread (which apparently is the "General Asking" thread), suffice that it's proving all too wearisome to try to post in the NL forum.

So yes, yes dear Sivota, if you could kindly post a query there on my behalf that would be great. But of course do please add that I need replies in English - dank!

Meanwhile, I've created a little bookmark list of some of the caches near the Amsterdam central train station. Curiously, there seems to be a preponderance of multi caches (with unusually bountiful waypoints!), along with puzzle caches. Precious few simple traditionals on 1-2 star terrain for we bumbling geotourists looking for a quick grab in between flights.

Nonetheless, I may try to grab the earth cache, along with one or two of the virtuals. But it'd be great if someone could point me to the most creative hides in that general vicinity - even if I have to find a bike or take a bus to get to it.

Better still, a little meet up with a cacher or two that Saturday, would be super.

Welcome to multi cache country number 1 in the world. If we had only traditionals we would only have drive in caches. Besides this, we Dutch prefer not to show just one spot, but the whole area around it as well.

I have no founds yet in Amsterdam but I will try to give you some recommendations.

As recommended before Amsterdam Urban 1 is the oldest cache in The Netherlands in the most famous park. Spending an hour laying in the grass and watching other people is a most do in this park. The stroll from the train station to the park will take you along the most famous parts of the city, ‘De Dam’ and the most famous shopping street ‘Kalverstraat’.

A cache which is often recommended is Amsterdam Urban 2. You will need some kind of floating device for this one but as mentioned in the description, watercycles can be rented nearby.

Another big tourist attraction is a walk through the Red Light district. ‘De rosse buurt/ Red Light district’ cache starts just outside the central station and according to the description it will take you less then 1 hour.

Welcome to multi cache country number 1 in the world. If we had only traditionals we would only have drive in caches. Besides this, we Dutch prefer not to show just one spot, but the whole area around it as well.
I agree rhr, personally I much prefer a good multi. But with so little time on a layover, I was just hoping for a couple of cleverly hidden trads.

As recommended before Amsterdam Urban 1 is the oldest cache in The Netherlands in the most famous park. Spending an hour laying in the grass and watching other people is a most do in this park. The stroll from the train station to the park will take you along the most famous parts of the city, ‘De Dam’ and the most famous shopping street ‘Kalverstraat’.
Yes, dfx mentioned this, and I rather like the idea of going after the oldest NL cache. Heck, but for finding the Original Stash in Portland, that would nearly be my oldest find.

So, it's just a short stroll from the train station? And yes, I like the idea of strolling along, stopping to load up on those wondrously delish freshly roasted herring along the way.

A cache which is often recommended is Amsterdam Urban 2. You will need some kind of floating device for this one but as mentioned in the description, watercycles can be rented nearby.
Seriously? You can rent a watercycle to do that one? Now that sounds like serious fun!

At 5' 5" do you think I'll be able to reach it? -Any{tall}body want to join me?

And of course, if any of you ever manage to land in the Emerald City (Seattle) I'd be happy to point you to our very best hides (e.g. "Radio Days", anything by Dayspring, the lone remaining U.S. "A.P.E.", etc. Else if logistics allow - give you a personal tour myself!

Just a quick note to thank all that helped me here. Apparently irisisleuk has posted a separate note both here and in the Dutch gc forums (though of course I can't read a blessed word of them!). :laughing:

In any case, it won't be long now. I fly out of Seattle tomorrow night, and arrive in Amsterdam at noon on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Iris, Maurice and Petra have kindly offered to show me around the town, and we're hoping to go after Urban 2 (among others) and sample some cheese and that legendary delish herring along the way.

Apparently we're also planning on meeting to tip a few beers before I head back to the airport (dunno exactly what time), but I hope to meet a few more Dutch geocachers before I hop back on the plane to Cairo at 9pm.

Can't wait to grab some Dutch geojoy soon!

globalgirl

I was online looking for geo cache in the dom square area specificly. Not familiar enough with the area, passing through and would like to see if I could get a fix of 1 or 2 caches. :anicute: Problem was google maps didn't come up just a list of caches. Does anyone know of any in the area?

Thank you in advance.

Would someone be able to translate this log from Dutch to English for me? I tried babelfish, but the results were not very helpful. Thank you!

Apologies for bad babelfish translation:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Verontschuldigingen voor slechte babelfishvertaling:

Zou iemand dit logboek uit Nederlands in het Engels voor me kunnen vertalen? Ik probeerde babelfish, maar de resultaten waren niet zeer nuttig. Dank u!

Briljant! Wij komen aan bij de cache en daar staat iemand te zoeken. Deze cache is door hem lang geleden in de USA gedropt en nu "in de buurt". Leuke vondst, we hebben hem na het retrieven gelijk aan de andere cacher gegeven!

Brilliant! We arrive at the cache and someone is there searching. This cache (huh? I think he means TB - Xaa) has been dropped by him in the USA a long time ago and now it is "nearby". Nice find, after retrieving we gave it to the other cacher right away.

Edited by Xaa

Briljant! Wij komen aan bij de cache en daar staat iemand te zoeken. Deze cache is door hem lang geleden in de USA gedropt en nu "in de buurt". Leuke vondst, we hebben hem na het retrieven gelijk aan de andere cacher gegeven!

Brilliant! We arrive at the cache and somethere is there searching. This cache (huh? I think he means TB - Xaa) has been dropped by him in the USA a long time ago and now it is "nearby". Nice find, after retrieving we gave it to the other cacher right away.

I guess 'somethere' = someone

Brilliant! We arrive at the cache and someone is there searching. This cache (huh? I think he means TB - Xaa) has been dropped by him in the USA a long time ago and now it is "nearby". Nice find, after retrieving we gave it to the other cacher right away.

Thank you! I was hoping t that's what it meant.

A couple of years ago, we found a photograph of a little Dutch boy in a cache in the US. His father had written his name on the back, asking that the picture make its way back to the Netherlands. We turned it into a travel bug, and now it has reached its original owner!

I love a successful TB story :)

We're off to Amstersdam in a few weeks. We are looking to do a few caches whilst we are there. Are there any really good caches specifically for kids? My 5 year olds likes the big caches with lots of swaps.

My 5 year old also wants to know what the equivilants of TFTC (thanks for this cache) are so she can write it in the log book!

I also have a few travel bugs to drop, are there many decent sized caches in which to place them? We don't really want to travel too far outside of the city.

Many thanks.

My 5 year old also wants to know what the equivilants of TFTC (thanks for this cache) are so she can write it in the log book!

DVDC = Dank Voor De Cache.

But international oriented as we are; she will probably see a lot of TFTC in the log book as well :huh: