Bug: Editing cache descriptions requires the 'Date Placed' to be within the last year

A J Pombo

Came across something that seems to be a bug when editing a cache description on one of my older geocaches. After making my changes, the edit form won't save, giving an error message in red by the 'Date Placed' field: The date must be within the last year. The geocache in question was originally hidden in March 2014, and the form did save when changing the date to a more recent one.

I expect this to be a bug, as this requirement would make more sense with new cache listings and shouldn't apply to editing existing caches.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

I do have the same problem.  This is quite annoying.  I made many changes, because the forest has changed again and I need to move stages, change descriptions etc.  Now I can not save my many changes.  Quite annoying for somebody trying to be a good maintainer.

• Upvote 3

Just wanted to report the same bug. Super annoying! :mad:

Because I didn't want to lose my non-trivial edits, I had to temporarily change the "Hidden date" to something in 2021 - for a cache that I placed in 2009! I have to remember to change it back, once the bug is fixed. So please don't introduce a new bug which then leads to a message like "You cannot back-date the 'Hidden' date"!

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Frau Potter said:

Thank you for reporting this issue. We agree that there is a bug and users will be unable to edit older cache pages until we get this fixed. We will notify the engineers and hope for a fix early on Monday. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

Thanks for the fast reaction!  Yes, I placed the most important information into a maintenance note to keep the cache workable.  Thank you!  Looking forward to the fix ....
   Frank

This bug isn't fixed!  I edited one of my 2017 caches yesterday night and had to change the placed  date to 2021. Did some more editing tonight, tried to change the date back to 2017, still got the message that the

placed date has to be within the last year.

1 hour ago, daywalk said:

This bug isn't fixed!  I edited one of my 2017 caches yesterday night and had to change the placed  date to 2021. Did some more editing tonight, tried to change the date back to 2017, still got the message that the

placed date has to be within the last year.

Read the previous post. If you changed the date to be able to save other changes, you have to contact the support team to change it back. It is still not possible to change the date back to more than a year ago by yourself, and it is not supposed to be. But now you should be able to make changes to old caches without changing the placement date.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
13 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

This is now fixed.

If you did indeed update your cache and are now unable to backdate it to the original date, please contact our support team via the Help Center. Please make sure to include the GC-code and date in your request.

Thanks a lot!  It worked!

And ... what surprised me most ... I could go back to the page still open with all my changes, press save, and ...

... two days later it was saved without a problem now. :D  Not being current on web technologies I had anticipated that the site would two days later not know what this was about.