Where's in a Name?

7 minutes ago, r.e.s.t.seekers said:

Is there anyone who could help me with a photo from the Montreal, Canada, area, or New York or New Jersey?   I'm looking for a spot where the West is 74 18.733

I've got too many letters in my cache name. . .

Your best chance, in my experience, is to contact geocachers in that area, maybe those who own caches nearby.

If you're not in a hurry, there's a chance I might be able to plan a stop while driving across that line a few times...over the next six months. It goes right through a cemetery near the intersection of the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway (40°32'52.4"N 74°18'44.0"W ) and Legoland New York theme park (41°22'29.6"N 74°18'44.0"W) which could be possibilities for me. (The NJ location may be doable as early as the later part of next week.) It'd be a first-in-the-category for me, so I'll need some clarification of the requirements.

10 hours ago, 401Photos said:

so I'll need some clarification of the requirements.

"F"s and "W"s are the best fit for my area. 

Here's what I sent you in September:

You have to find a partner (ANYONE!). Most people I know contact geocachers near those coordinates, to ask if they can help. They don't have to be a geocacher, but of course that's the assumption.

The GPS shot must match your converted name coordinates. A couple pictures of the area, as well as a description from your partner, would be a great addition to the waymark.

Here's Wottles' waymark that I did near my home: https://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMCYMA_wottles_097_28537_The_Margaret_Annis_Boys_Arboretum_in_Edmond_Oklahoma

Edited by Max and 99
On 3/12/2022 at 1:14 PM, r.e.s.t.seekers said:

Is there anyone who could help me with a photo from the Montreal, Canada, area, or New York or New Jersey?   I'm looking for a spot where the West is 74 18.733

I live in NJ and that longitude line is about 20 minutes from me.  What exactly do you need from there?  And what is this for? 

I can help you if you still need help.  That longitude is about 20 minutes from my house.  Is there a time limit for you?  I probably couldn't go until at least the weekend.

Thank you @Max & 99for helping to explain what this is!

57 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Oh lol, I didn't realize I commented on a Waymarking topic!  I think the thread came up on the main forum page and the title intrigued me.  :laughing:

There seems to be nothing preventing a geocacher from helping a waymarker with this, though. Or even a total muggle.

Hopefully one or more of these photos will do the trick.  And I found a geocache nearby while doing this Waymark for you.  It was surprisingly difficult to get a good photo of my GPS receiver.

a186da78-aff1-4241-ac63-613d13c82124.jpg

23efae2e-f13d-4c2d-8abf-0d2cab7d7f1e.jpg

0ebc8622-aad3-48a4-bb36-add45cc672c3.jpg5370d1de-44bd-4620-95b3-176960a5100a.jpg

On 3/19/2022 at 2:22 PM, GeoElmo6000 said:

It was surprisingly difficult to get a good photo of my GPS receiver.

Back to the sun, lean over it, creating shade. Better also to be in a shady spot AND zoom in on the GPS, eliminating as much lighter background as possible AND direct sunlight on the screen. THAT'S the killer. We've had to do lots of these and, after educating ourselves, we found it pretty easy to get a good shot of the GPS screen.

Keith

• Helpful 1

Anyone near Miami (or south Florida) that can get N25.8376684 for my username?

Bummer I was in Miami last year but wasn't paying enough attention to this category. On a side note, the airport is just south of these coords. I don't think I would have made it work anyways since I was only in town for a very short layover. Not enough time to leave the airport and get back through security.

6 minutes ago, bluesnote said:

Anyone near Miami (or south Florida) that can get N25.8376684 for my username?

Bummer I was in Miami last year but wasn't paying enough attention to this category. On a side note, the airport is just south of these coords. I don't think I would have made it work anyways since I was only in town for a very short layover. Not enough time to leave the airport and get back through security.

Your  converted username is: 26° 23.766

You always have to have a partner. 

I just came across this category and thought I'd give it a shot. I may have to enlist the help of a cacher, but I figured I'd start here to see if a Waymarker could help first.

My name converts to 84 32.832. Using this as west longitude will be the most viable option by far. This longitude runs close to the following major population areas:

• Just west of Sault Ste. Marie, ON
  • Lansing, MI
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Lexington, KY
  • Just west of Atlanta, GA

Any help from a fellow Waymarker would be greatly appreciated.

Dear all,
Over the last 10? years I contacted some geocachers (even posted a comment in an event) to help me out with my name, but zero replies :(

So, is there any one living near N29.353 or E29.353 (Axel-F conversion)  who can supply me the required images??

Looking forward to all the positive reactions.

Warmest Regards from the Netherlands :)

20 minutes ago, Axel-F said:

Dear all,
Over the last 10? years I contacted some geocachers (even posted a comment in an event) to help me out with my name, but zero replies :(

So, is there any one living near N29.353 or E29.353 (Axel-F conversion)  who can supply me the required images??

Looking forward to all the positive reactions.

Warmest Regards from the Netherlands :)

I will look into this. Is there a particular area where you have contacted people and didn't get a response?

Have you tried West 29?

Several months ago, on my last trip to Texas, I would have been able to get those coordinates for you!

Edited by Max and 99

Your converted name is: 29º 35.3xx

I contacted one person in south Texas, and got no response. I will continue looking for you!

I like to look for an easy location first (cemetery, park, etc), then contact someone nearby who has a geocache. I'm working on it.

• Helpful 1