Can GPS units work in China?

SeeDanRun

There is no reason any GPSr would not work anywhere on the earth. The sats go round and round. You may not have given it enough time to initialize. If you move it more than 300 miles and turn it back on, it will be searching the sky for sats that aren't going to be there at that time. You have to set the approx position manually. Read the book, it'll tell you how.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I just received an email last night from a cacher having problems with an etrex in Beijing. I'm actually in China right at the moment of this posting ... I can tell you I've used a Vista and a 76S with success over here. The only thing I can think is that if you turn it on cold when you arrive and don't get it oriented to the fact you've relocated half way around the world (from USA) ... it's got all the almanac data from your last position and is trying to locate itself based on this data. With a Vista of a 76S you can tell it you've moved and show on map before it starts looking for signals ... or you can wait the 5 to 15 minutes for it to aquire it's position on its own. Bottom line ... as the manuals say ... if you haven't used it in over 30 days and if you've located more than 500 miles ... it needs to re-aquire almanac data to work.

Patience grasshopper! icon_wink.gif

NOTE: DON'T WALK AROUND A CERTAIN SQUARE IN BEIJING JUST OUTSIDE THE FORBIDDEN CITY with your GPSr out ... you'll attract a lot of the wrong kind of attention!

I took trips to Japan, Singapore, and Indonesia earlier this year. When I got there, it took my e-trex almost 20 minutes to find itself. Then I was fine.

Strange thing is that when I got back home to Northeast Ohio and I turned on the unit for the first time I was ready to go in about 30 seconds.

Now where did I park my car??????? monkes.gif

With my Vista ... which I'm carrying in China this trip ... aquistion time is less than 1 minute ... once on Hainan last week it took 3 minutes ... but mostly because of the tall buildings around me. So far no noticeable difference between here and home.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

For our guided bike tours in China we use GPSr and it works just fine. EPE is often far better than here ("here" meaning Germany).

Also it is not prohibited to use GPS in China, you can even buy or rent GPSr in outdoor shops in mayor cities.

Cheers,

老盖

---

Konfuzius sagt:

Die längsten Wege sind unbekannte Abkürzungen.

For our guided bike tours in China we use GPSr and it works just fine. EPE is often far better than here ("here" meaning Germany).

Also it is not prohibited to use GPS in China, you can even buy or rent GPSr in outdoor shops in mayor cities!

Cheers,

老盖

---

Konfuzius sagt:

Also it is not prohibited to use GPS in China, you can even buy or rent GPS units in outdoor shops in mayor cities!

Cheers,

老盖

---

Konfuzius sagt:

Also it is not prohibited to use GPS in China, you can even buy or rent GPSr in outdoor shops in mayor cities!

Cheers,

老盖

---

Konfuzius sagt:

Cheers,

老盖

---

Konfuzius sagt: