Signal's Labyrinth (Memory Lane)

2 minutes ago, Geo-Jeddak said:

There's something wrong; when I go to the Signal's Labyrinth page is see the new Labyrinth, the Cave, and the new counter telling me I have 63 days to complete this labyrinth....but somehow my score did not reset to 0 but still shows the points I gathered in the previous labyrinth.

It's not supposed to reset until noon UTC which is still another four hours away, so something in the system jumped the gun with the 63 days remaining.

On 8/1/2022 at 2:59 AM, Geo-Jeddak said:

There's something wrong; when I go to the Signal's Labyrinth page is see the new Labyrinth, the Cave, and the new counter telling me I have 63 days to complete this labyrinth....but somehow my score did not reset to 0 but still shows the points I gathered in the previous labyrinth.

I have a screenshot of this showing up 2 months ago when the labyrinths switched. It was just being transitioned at the time.

Finally, Signal sees a light in the distance of the cave. He marches forward, away from the troll who is distracted by the jewel he found. The light in the distance and a sweet smell of flowers lead him out of the cave and into an elaborate hedge maze. Will Signal be able to navigate through the maze and continue on his quest? Geocachers have until October 3 at noon UTC to escape the cave before we find our way through the hedge maze.

Throughout the hedge maze are friendly goats grazing through the labyrinth and creating shortcuts in the maze. If Signal can find a few of these goats, he’ll have an easier time finding his way out.

These friendly goats, like the one in the image below, are the special bonus item for the labyrinth in the hedge maze.

SignalsLabyrinth_DigitalTreasure_goat_48

Every time you log a geocache, you will have a chance of finding one. If you go geocaching with a group of people, there’s a chance that one member of the group might find an item at a cache, but others don’t. These items award bonus leaderboard points that add on to the points you earn for logging the geocache. If you log your finds in the app and you find a goat, there will be a banner message to let you know you found one. On the website, there is a counter for these special bonus items that you can see on the page for Signal’s Labyrinth. The counter displays the item and shows how many you have found.

You must collect 50 points to earn the first souvenir for the labyrinth in the hedge maze and 500 points to earn the second souvenir and get Signal out of the labyrinth.

Each labyrinth in Signal’s Labyrinth has different point values for finding geocaches, Adventures, and bonus items. Mystery Caches are worth more points for this round on account of the puzzle solving skills required to navigate through the elaborate hedge maze.

Found an Adventure Lab Cache (Adventure Location) 10
Found a Mystery Cache 35
Found a Multi-Cache 30
Found an EarthCache 30
Attended an Event 20
Found a cache with 10+ Favorite points 20
Found a Signal’s Labyrinth item 50
Found it* 15

*Log a Found it on any other cache type

The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 85 points.

• Funny 1

I received points for the new promotion but no souvenir has appeared either on the app or website. 

Update: interesting that the hedge souvenir does not show up in my list of souvenirs in the app or website, but when I click on the promotion from the app banner, it shows the souvenir colored indicating I have earned it. So that's partly good news. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
On 10/3/2022 at 4:04 PM, Max and 99 said:

I received points for the new promotion but no souvenir has appeared either on the app or website. 

Update: interesting that the hedge souvenir does not show up in my list of souvenirs in the app or website, but when I click on the promotion from the app banner, it shows the souvenir colored indicating I have earned it. So that's partly good news. 

Exactly the same happening for me ... have messaged GCHQ

Update at 5th October - HQ reply was totally wrong, saying I had logged "THE" cache before changeover time ... I had actually logged 4 caches and 5 Labs AFTER the changeover time, when I messaged them (110 pts on my leaderboard), so no joy there and the usual "non-answer" I've come to expect from HQ! So now I am at 250 points on the board, two days on from messaging them, still no souvenir and no updated answer ... Mmmmmm, not awfully impressed!

Edited by PlasmaWave
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It seems to me that fewer goats are being awarded than fireflies. My friend has 12 cache finds and still no goat. 

I had the opposite. I struggled for fireflies when trying to get over the line last time but I've now finished this one with three weeks to spare thanks to a couple of quick-fire goats:

image.png.62255d99c108b1fd6ad12b2a8f91e8c2.png 

Thirty percent of my points this time around came from goats.

Edited by barefootjeff
17 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

It seems to me that fewer goats are being awarded than fireflies. My friend has 12 cache finds and still no goat. 

We've found 15 caches (plus 3 Lab- Caches) in three different countries on 8 different days since 10/7/2022 and have no goat either. In the same period my brother found 4 caches on 3 different days (all of them in the same province of Austria) and has two goats.

One of our friends found 16 caches and has 4 goats, another friend has 19 caches and 2 goats. I wonder, if it is really pure random whether you get one or not. Meanwhile I even tried to log the caches on the same day I found it or some days later, at different times of the day, etc. But no luck so far.

19 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I had the opposite. I struggled for fireflies when trying to get over the line last time but I've now finished this one with three weeks to spare thanks to a couple of quick-fire goats

Thirty percent of my points this time around came from goats.

Are you timing your finds to use possible "goats" strategically?  I see I have "Goats 3", but have not noticed anything particular happen in the large maze on screen.  Do "goats" appear within the maze to show a new shortcut?  The description seems to say that at least Signal moves, but I've seen him only at the very bottom, at the start.  I'm guessing that any movement only occurs while adding points toward a new souvenir, and maybe I've looked at the maze only while not within that window.

1 hour ago, KRON family said:

For what types of logs can I get this item? I've already got two for DNFs. Does this also work for Write Note or Will Attend?

(October-November labyrinths)

Changing logs doesn't award points, nor take them away.

Each labyrinth in Signal’s Labyrinth has different point values for finding geocaches, Adventures, and bonus items. Mystery Caches are worth more points for this round on account of the puzzle solving skills required to navigate through the elaborate hedge maze.

Found a Mystery Cache 35
Found a Multi-Cache 30
Found an EarthCache 30
Attended an Event 20
Found it* 15

Edited by Max and 99
28 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Changing logs doesn't award points, nor take them away.

I didn't change the log type. I'd just like to know what the options are for finding a Signal’s Labyrinth item.

Post a Found it log - yes, I can get a goat.

Post a Didn't find it log - yes, I can get a goat.

Post a Write note log - ?

Post a Will Attend log - ?

16 minutes ago, KRON family said:

I didn't change the log type. I'd just like to know what the options are for finding a Signal’s Labyrinth item.

Post a Found it log - yes, I can get a goat.

Post a Didn't find it log - yes, I can get a goat.

Post a Write note log - ?

Post a Will Attend log - ?

Each labyrinth in Signal’s Labyrinth has different point values for finding geocaches, Adventures, and bonus items.

Only a Found it log or Attended log gets you points.'

In the previous post I was just trying to point out that changing your log from a Note to a Found it will not get you points. Just an FYI.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

My strategy this time around was to assume I wouldn't get anywhere near 500 points and ignore the promotion. That seems to have acted as a goat magnet.

Which of course is 100% random chance because there's no way the server can know your motivation for finding specific geocaches... :P

4 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I found 22 caches, all traditionals, one with a lot of FP's.  It took 14 before I got my first goat, then 2, then 3, then 2.  I just squeaked home with 535 points.

Did you see the maze change?  The goats eat the hedge, so are parts shown eaten?  But I don’t know if the “maze” is a static picture of a maze, or if it shows one’s progress in some way.  I’ve only ever seen Signal at the start (bottom).  Or is that the finish line?

Edited by kunarion

I believe I've seen progress of signal moving through the maze as I get more points. I'll see if I can find some screenshots to show that. The top is the start, and the bottom is the finish line. 

This is my screenshot a few hours after the start of the current promotion, when I had earned some points from finding caches, but no goats yet. Maybe someone else has a screenshot showing the original labyrinth? Mine isn't the best example, as I was awarded the final souvenir because of a glitch, so the maze might show differently for others.

Screenshot_20221003-100130.thumb.png.a7f47e1b1fc216a6f2c2d57d5e0e006f.png

Second pic: end of maze.

Screenshot_20221114-232043.thumb.png.5ab720f15780acd85374af8b0ecfc333.png

Edited by Max and 99
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Did you see the maze change?  The goats eat the hedge, so are parts shown eaten?  But I don’t know if the “maze” is a static picture of a maze, or if it shows one’s progress in some way.  I’ve only ever seen Signal at the start (bottom).  Or is that the finish line?

I never use the app, so I'm guessing that the 50 point things I get are goats.  I also log with GSAK, so it all happens at one time.

35 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I believe I've seen progress of signal moving through the maze as I get more points. I'll see if I can find some screenshots to show that. The top is the start, and the bottom is the finish line. 

This is my screenshot a few hours after the start of the current promotion, when I had earned some points from finding caches, but no goats yet. Maybe someone else has a screenshot showing the original labyrinth? Mine isn't the best example, as I was awarded the final souvenir because of a glitch, so the maze might show differently for others.

Screenshot_20221003-100130.thumb.png.a7f47e1b1fc216a6f2c2d57d5e0e006f.png

Second pic: end of maze.

Screenshot_20221114-232043.thumb.png.5ab720f15780acd85374af8b0ecfc333.png

Thanks for the screen shots! I'm pretty sure the reason I've never seen him enroute is I either check it when i have no points (when I read a Forum post about it), or when "You Earned A Souvenir!" pops up, at which point I've finished.

It seems clear that when goats eat certain hedges, Signals route may be shortened.  But since we don't know when goats will appear (nor which hedge they'll eat), it seems like there's no way to strategize.  And by the time you acquire goats, Signal may have already moved a lot. 

9 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

I never use the app, so I'm guessing that the 50 point things I get are goats.  I also log with GSAK, so it all happens at one time.

I also get a bunch of points at once.  Lately I go to some cache-rich park, and find some caches.  So you may not see Signal tracking through the maze, but the end result is the same.

I haven't used the App for maze viewing, only the web site, because I'm usually clicking a link from the Forum while following one of these threads.

Edited by kunarion

New Castle Labyrinth December 5:

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/2022/11/new-challenge-december-5-help-signal-escape-the-castle/

You must collect 50 points to earn the first souvenir for the labyrinth in the castle and 500 points to earn the second souvenir and get Signal out of the labyrinth.

Each labyrinth in Signal’s Labyrinth has different point values for finding geocaches, Adventures, and bonus items. Around this time of year cachers often host Events to mark the end of one year and the beginning of another. In light of that and the update that now shows Event times on Event Cache listings, Events are worth more points for this labyrinth. Here are the point values for the labyrinth in the castle.

Attended an Event 35

Found a Mystery Cache 30

Found a Multi-Cache 30

Found a Letterbox Hybrid 25

Found it* 15

Edited by Max and 99

Why is HQ sending notification alerts, interrupting what I'm doing because when I hear my phone chime I think it's something important I need to attend to, only to discover it's this:

Screenshot_20230107_101238_Geocaching.jpg.42bdd20c85bd2298aa0a1e03e292bf7e.jpg

I passed 500 points and received the souvenir a couple of weeks ago, so what is the point of sending this alert now? What action is it wanting me to take?

Honestly, much more of this and I'll uninstall the app from my phone.

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Why is HQ sending notification alerts, interrupting what I'm doing because when I hear my phone chime I think it's something important I need to attend to, only to discover it's this:

Screenshot_20230107_101238_Geocaching.jpg.42bdd20c85bd2298aa0a1e03e292bf7e.jpg

I passed 500 points and received the souvenir a couple of weeks ago, so what is the point of sending this alert now? What action is it wanting me to take?

Honestly, much more of this and I'll uninstall the app from my phone.

At least on iPhones others probably work in similar ways. Go to you settings and under geocaching app you can disable sounds.

• Surprised 1
20 minutes ago, MNTA said:

At least on iPhones others probably work in similar ways. Go to you settings and under geocaching app you can disable sounds.

Except I want to get notifications if someone is trying to contact me through Message Centre, which happens a fair bit. I wouldn't mind so much if these Labyrinth things appeared when I opened the app, because it only takes a second to dismiss it, but being interrupted and having to put aside what I'm doing to see what the urgent alert is about, only for it to be a thing telling me I'd completed a promotion weeks ago, is just over the top. Just because they can do something doesn't mean they should.

• Love 1

New challenge February 6: Signal enter’s the final labyrinth in the dragon’s lair

Dragon's Lair Labyrinth

Found a Multi-Cache 35

Found a Mystery Cache 30

Attended an Event 25

Found it* 15

Read our Signal’s Labyrinth announcement blog post for FAQs and more information about the souvenir challenge.

Edited by Max and 99
2 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

New challenge February 6: Signal enter’s the final labyrinth in the dragon’s lair

I started reading the blog article...

With a lantern to light his way, Signal escaped the labyrinth in the castle and now one final challenge lies between him and returning home to Geocaching HQ—and it’s the biggest one yet. To get back home, Signal must navigate through a labyrinth in the lair of a hungry, fire-breathing dragon. Will Signal be able to get out without a run-in with the dragon? Gather all your geocaching friends and find geocaches to help Signal make one last escape!

... and thought this was going to be something especially challenging that would maybe require a group effort like that used in one of the Mary Hyde promotions back in 2017. But nup, it's just exactly the same as all the other ones apart from a slight rejiggling of the points table. Sigh.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 1/31/2023 at 12:13 PM, Max and 99 said:

Dragon's Lair Labyrinth

Found a Multi-Cache 35

Found a Mystery Cache 30

Attended an Event 25

Found it* 15

Read our Signal’s Labyrinth announcement blog post for FAQs and more information about the souvenir challenge.

I found a mystery cache with 10 favorite points, and a multi with 10 favorite points.  I got 30 and 35 points.  Did not get the 20 point bonus for either.

Something odd today (February 13).  Geopartner husband and I found 2 caches this afternoon - he logged on his phone in the field, and I logged a draft (as is our usual custom).  Home now, logging my 2 drafts as finds.  After logging, I checked the leaderboard - and saw this:

image.png.05da7cdd30864a15dc46ca6df3b20341.png

Not only did he get a bonus item, his are showing as found tomorrow, February 14.  On his profile, they show as today, and on the cache page, the log is dated today.  But the leaderboard shows tomorrow?  We are on the West Coast, PST, same as HQ in Seattle.  They were found about an hour apart (we did some shopping in between), 3 & 4 pm local time.  Perhaps the leaderboard is on GMT?  But I logged mine even later than his "in the field" logs, at about 5pm local time, so blaming GMT for the error makes no sense.  I haven't noticed the discrepancy before....

ETA: It really isn't a big deal to us, just a curiosity.  We aren't on a streak or grid filling quest or anything, so it's a minor detail that caught my eye when reviewing our stats for the day.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Funny 1
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

Something odd today (February 13).  Geopartner husband and I found 2 caches this afternoon - he logged on his phone in the field, and I logged a draft (as is our usual custom).  Home now, logging my 2 drafts as finds.  After logging, I checked the leaderboard - and saw this:

Not only did he get a bonus item, his are showing as found tomorrow, February 14.  On his profile, they show as today, and on the cache page, the log is dated today.  But the leaderboard shows tomorrow?  We are on the West Coast, PST, same as HQ in Seattle.  They were found about an hour apart (we did some shopping in between), 3 & 4 pm local time.  Perhaps the leaderboard is on GMT?  But I logged mine even later than his "in the field" logs, at about 5pm local time, so blaming GMT for the error makes no sense.  I haven't noticed the discrepancy before....

ETA: It really isn't a big deal to us, just a curiosity.  We aren't on a streak or grid filling quest or anything, so it's a minor detail that caught my eye when reviewing our stats for the day.

Not GMT but close enough. As it says beneath the countdown clock: "THE LEADERBOARD WILL RESET TO ZERO ON MONDAY, APRIL 3, AT NOON UTC." :-) 

Adding: I don't use the official app but if you did your drafts before midnight UK time (ie before 4pm your time) then maybe it saves that day/time?

Edited by CCFwasG
add
12 hours ago, CCFwasG said:

.... but if you did your drafts before midnight UK time (ie before 4pm your time) then maybe it saves that day/time?

What I find curious is that my partner logged his and I created my draft at the same time.  So they *should* be recorded at that time for both of us if it is using my draft timestamp.  My actual log was completed LATER than his, so it would have been MY logs that were dated the 14th if it was using that time stamp.  But mine are dated the 13th, and his dated the 14th, which makes no sense to me.

• Helpful 1
On 2/14/2023 at 12:25 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Not only did he get a bonus item, his are showing as found tomorrow, February 14.  On his profile, they show as today, and on the cache page, the log is dated today.  But the leaderboard shows tomorrow?

I have a similar problem but the other way around. Today (the 15th), I ventured out to Bulahdelah to do two traditionals, an AL and its bonus cache, logging the physical caches on the website once I'd returned home. Here's what my leaderboard shows:

image.png.987fc2afa13483228d7aa3bfb5675895.png

If I go the labs.geocaching.com page, it shows those five AL stages on the correct date:

Labs.jpg.ddf237ed91330a64498dc0b6549a8ee0.jpg

You'd think if their code can produce the correct date for an AL find on one part of the website, it would be able to do it on all of it, but I guess not.

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, barefootjeff said:

You'd think if their code can produce the correct date for an AL find on one part of the website, it would be able to do it on all of it, but I guess not.

The more things change the more they stay the same! I don't pay that much attention to the date these days, as we filled our date-found grid!

I generally only log at night, which is useful, as the 'other half' of the globe has caught up with us and the date is correct.

• Helpful 1
On 2/14/2023 at 11:12 AM, CAVinoGal said:

What I find curious is that my partner logged his and I created my draft at the same time.  So they *should* be recorded at that time for both of us if it is using my draft timestamp.  My actual log was completed LATER than his, so it would have been MY logs that were dated the 14th if it was using that time stamp.  But mine are dated the 13th, and his dated the 14th, which makes no sense to me.

Oddly enough I had a similar issue just yesterday. I did some Ad Labs and when I did the review for the first one it was (and still is!) dated 2/14/23. But yesterday was 2/15. It was in NY and it was early in the morning, maybe 8am? So makes ZERO sense to me. Then I did one right after. That too was dated 2/14 at around 9am! About 2 hours later I did a third and it was dated properly on 2/15. I'm at a loss to explain... like you!

Edit to add more re: @barefootjeff's post - I checked my leaderboard and the ALs that show in my app as 2/14 (but done on 2/15) show up on my leaderboard with the correct date of 2/15! Go figure!!!!!

Edited by CCFwasG
add info

Just adding to this topic. Did I miss something where they are only giving bonuses (the 50 point thing) to certain kinds of caches?

In the past 10 days I have 58 finds and not a single bonus. My friends have fewer finds and more bonuses. What am I missing? Doesn't seem truly random but what do I know?

(BTW not posting because I care about my leaderboard, just find it super curious!)

• Funny 1
3 minutes ago, CCFwasG said:

Just adding to this topic. Did I miss something where they are only giving bonuses (the 50 point thing) to certain kinds of caches?

In the past 10 days I have 58 finds and not a single bonus. My friends have fewer finds and more bonuses. What am I missing? Doesn't seem truly random but what do I know?

(BTW not posting because I care about my leaderboard, just find it super curious!)

Bonus only works if you log through the app

22 minutes ago, Moun10Bike said:

No, that's not correct. You only see notifications of receiving bonuses in the app, but you will still receive them by the same random chance whether you log in the app or on the web.

Since I don't use the app, I have to say this is correct. I have had bonuses in the past but, as stated, none recently.

On 3/9/2023 at 3:13 AM, CCFwasG said:

It seems that you just have a really bad streak of bad luck ;) . I only log via the website, and my "Leaderboard" list shows a "Found a Signal's Labyrinth item" entry every now and then. The last ones are from March 5th.

13 hours ago, baer2006 said:

It seems that you just have a really bad streak of bad luck ;) . I only log via the website, and my "Leaderboard" list shows a "Found a Signal's Labyrinth item" entry every now and then. The last ones are from March 5th.

Bad luck for sure! I only log on the website and have logged 59 finds since my last Signal's item bonus back on Feb 26th. :mad:

17 hours ago, MartyBartfast said:

This isn't something I pay any attention to, but reading this thread I decided to go have a look, and since 12th Feb I have found 43 caches and 10 Signal's Labyrinth items.

I have obviously got the WORST luck! :( (Edit: decision to never look again, it'll only make me angry & I can do nothing about it!)

Edited by CCFwasG
On 3/11/2023 at 11:14 PM, Max and 99 said:

I consistently tell a caching friend that he has the WORST luck when it comes to Signal items. Over and over we'll find the same caches and ALs and I'll get several Signal items and he'll get none or maybe one. 

I haven't logged my Sunday finds yet but when I do I better get some bonuses! (Oh, except I swore off looking...!) :rolleyes: