Signal's Labyrinth (Memory Lane)

On 3/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, Max and 99 said:

My points aren’t adding up correctly, help!

• If you change a Write Note, DNF, or other log type to a Found it log, it will not be recognized for Signal’s Labyrinth.
  • You may have logged on before the challenge started at noon UTC (convert to your local time here). We suggest that you wait to log until AFTER Monday noon UTC—which in some places like New Zealand is Tuesday at midnight. Otherwise, the points will not count for the first week.
  • You saved a Draft on the Monday before the challenge for that labyrinth began at noon UTC.

If you have already posted your logs, you can delete your log and then post a new one to have your points count towards Signal’s Labyrinth. To delete your log follow these steps:

• Go to Your Geocaching Logs on Geocaching.com.
  • Select “View Log” or “View / Edit Log / Images.” On the log page, select the “Delete Log” trashcan. Select “Yes” to confirm.

*At this time, you can only edit or delete your logs on Geocaching.com, not in the Geocaching® app.

18 minutes ago, Ericles said:

Just noticed the new promotion yesterday so I went out this afternoon at around 17:00 UTC and found/logged a cache. No points awarded. No leaderboard shown. 

Has there been a release delay or is it just me? It was only a 15 pointer but, if previous promotions are any indication, I'll need all the points I can get. :grin:

This is all we have for now regarding incorrect points. So far no one from HQ has responded saying they know of a mistake. 

As I mentioned in another thread all the points I'm seeing on my leaderboard are correct at the moment.

Edited by Max and 99

I've logged 2 earth caches, and  not got any points for them.

It's not timing, because the Adventure Lab and regular cache I logged before them gave me the points (50 for the AL, 60 for an item and 15 for the regular =125).

Anyone know why please? I expected them to be credited as "any other cache type".

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I have the same problem. We had 9 finds on April 4, all posted after 1200 UTC. I verified that each is recorded as a find on April 4. However, I noticed two errors on the website: (1) Our Latest Activity list only shows 5 finds for April 4 and (2) our Signal's Labyrinth statistics are only showing 5 finds. 

22 minutes ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

Can someone explain to me what is a Signal’s Labyrinth item?

"...What are the special bonus items that are revealed by logging geocaches, and how can I find them?

Each of the six labyrinths has a special bonus item associated with it that will help Signal move through that maze. For example, the item for the first labyrinth, the enchanted forest, is a glowing firefly that helps brighten the path for Signal to escape. There is no way to specifically search for these hidden items, but every time you log a geocache, you will have a chance of finding one. When you do find one and you log your find in the app, you will see a banner message in the app, similar to the message that appears when you earn a souvenir. These items award bonus leaderboard points that add on to the points you earn for logging the geocache..." Source

15 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Last year I made 98 finds so I guess that makes me below average and disenfranchised. I don't think the Labyrinth is going to help remedy that, though, since the problem here is a chronic lack of new caches and a diminishing pool of older ones. Even a brand new player here would have to find just about every cache in the region, or do lots of travelling, in order to get through the whole year of this promotion at the required find rate.

My post said "The average geocacher has less than 100 Finds per year." That's not an insult or even a guess; it's based on previously stated statistics by Groundspeak.

I'm borrowing enfranchised/casual/newbie terminology from a game designer. A newbie has recently started. A casual player isn't new but plays infrequently. An enfranchised player is very involved. Posting frequently on the forums is evidence of being an enfranchised geocacher. 

Stop trying to be offended.

If you live in a cache-sparse area then, no, these promotions aren't going to help. Geocaching is simply less popular in some parts of the world than others, and some areas have less practical hiding space than others. You can't please everybody. 

• Upvote 5
6 hours ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

Can someone explain to me what is a Signal’s Labyrinth item?

I received a firefly special labyrinth item today, but I never got a notification/banner, and can't see any way to actually look at it. So I guess it's just in name only. 

50 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I received a firefly special labyrinth item today, but I never got a notification/banner, and can't see any way to actually look at it. So I guess it's just in name only. 

Per the wording, it sounds like you only get the notification of an item in the official app. I received an item while logging from drafts but didn't know until I looked at my score breakdown on the leaderboard.

• Helpful 2
5 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Per the wording, it sounds like you only get the notification of an item in the official app. I received an item while logging from drafts but didn't know until I looked at my score breakdown on the leaderboard.

Yes we only use the official app. My husband got a notification but I did not. 

• Funny 2
7 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Stop trying to be offended.

I wasn't trying to be offended, rather just trying to show that having a low find rate doesn't mean someone is disengaged from the game and in need of encouragement. I'd love to be able to find a lot more caches than I do but I'm constrained by the available unfound caches, and I'm sure there are lots of cachers in a similar position where promotions like this one only make things worse by encouraging them to clear their area faster than new caches appear. Going back a few years, there used to be promotions that focused on other things beside finding lots of caches, but they seem to have gone by the wayside and now its all about the numbers. The Labyrinth is just a rebadged Reach the Peak, only running for twice as long.

• Helpful 2
3 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Yes we only use the official app. My husband got a notification but I did not. 

So you got an item while logging in the app, but didn't get a notification of the item? And your husband, doing exactly the same thing, also received an item and did get a notification?

34 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

So you got an item while logging in the app, but didn't get a notification of the item? And your husband, doing exactly the same thing, also received an item and did get a notification?

I logged the geocache on my phone only and did not get a notification. He was just holding his phone and got a notification.  He has iOS and I have Android which may or may not explain anything. 

45 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

If you share an account, then that could be the reason. Who knows how a shared account would handle the item notification, even across official apps on two different platforms simultaneously :P  lackeys may be interested in hearing that result.

That makes sense! Thanks. 

With that said, though, I'm surprised that I did not get the notification since I'm the only one who logged it. But I get your point and I appreciate that information. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

That makes sense! Thanks. 

With that said, though, I'm surprised that I did not get the notification since I'm the only one who logged it. But I get your point and I appreciate that information. 

This morning I logged a FTF through the app (about the only time I log from my phone, usually I wait until I get home and log via the website). Looking now at my Labyrinth score, I see I have 75 points, 15 for the traditional and 60 for the Labyrinth Item, but I didn't get any notification on the phone of receiving that item. I have version 8.71.0 of the app on an Android 12 phone. I also received the Forest souvenir but my phone didn't tell me about that either.

• Funny 1

FYI, it appears events are not treated as generic finds for this promotion. Attended event Mon night (US) and logged it Tuesday but it is not counted. Checked two other people in my leaderboard who also logged the event and the same deal. Guess Attended does not count as a find for this, kinda weird. 

• Funny 3
On 4/5/2022 at 5:36 PM, thebruce0 said:

I don't use the official app but I do log everything on a computer. On the web I did get a notification on the 4th for hitting tghe first target and yesterday the second one. NO CLUE how. But there it is.

Now that I've been geocaching after the promotion I think I misunderstood the points. You get 20 pts for a geocache with 10 plus favorite points, but that excludes mystery and multi-caches, which give you 25 points each. I just assumed they were bonus points but they are not. 

• Funny 1
On 4/9/2022 at 2:34 PM, CCFwasG said:

I don't use the official app but I do log everything on a computer. On the web I did get a notification on the 4th for hitting tghe first target and yesterday the second one. NO CLUE how. But there it is.

Are you sure that was an item notification, not the notice of earning a souvenir (one for starting, and one for completing the labyrinth).  The items aren't awarded as souvenirs, which is likely why they are only alerted in the official app - a newly programmed feature for this souvenir run.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

The items aren't awarded as souvenirs, which is likely why they are only alerted in the official app

Except that I DID get a notification of the firefly item while logging a find on the geocaching.com site on my computer.  I got a pop up notification for the souvenir when I got to 50 points, and I was surprised to see a firefly pop up when I logged the next cache!  IF it happens again, I'll try to grab a screenshot - but I knew I had a special 60 pt item as I was logging, and the Leaderboard confirmed it.

16 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Except that I DID get a notification of the firefly item while logging a find on the geocaching.com site on my computer.  I got a pop up notification for the souvenir when I got to 50 points, and I was surprised to see a firefly pop up when I logged the next cache!  IF it happens again, I'll try to grab a screenshot - but I knew I had a special 60 pt item as I was logging, and the Leaderboard confirmed it.

Nice then, maybe they're adding that feature to the web. I didn't get any item notifications while logging on the web.

Were you on desktop or mobile web?

5 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Desktop, Windows 11, Chrome Version 100.0.4896.75 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Same same. It is hard to say whether it comes up for the souvenir or the points etc but I kept getting notifications and I did keep getting points for random caches. I don't pay close attanetion though to the wording as those notifications are quite small! 

Souvenir notifications will keep appearing for a while once earned, that's been that way for some time. The issue here is the notification for the special item, which isn't a souvenir. I haven't seen it at all, but it seems at least one of us has, on the desktop website.

13 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Souvenir notifications will keep appearing for a while once earned, that's been that way for some time. The issue here is the notification for the special item, which isn't a souvenir. I haven't seen it at all, but it seems at least one of us has, on the desktop website.

Just to add a bit more to the mystique of the notifications, I got the special item notification on the app when I opened it this morning just to have a look at the map. I'm assuming it was triggered by one of the three caches I logged via the website yesterday. I wonder if there's a special souvenir for anyone who can figure out the logic of the special item notifications?

• Funny 3

Has anyone seen a Leaderboard for Signal’s Labyrinth? I had one for the previous Reach the Peak and the HQ intro mentions one for this, too, but I can’t find one in the official app or the web version. Another source of frustration are the mystery items. I’ve been geocaching with my kids and thus we’ve logged exactly the sama caches and they’ve received 8 and 6 mystery items respectively and have way over 600 points while I’ve only found one item and am at a measly 320 points. 

• Funny 3
On 4/16/2022 at 10:45 AM, MonteRosa72 said:

Has anyone seen a Leaderboard for Signal’s Labyrinth? I had one for the previous Reach the Peak and the HQ intro mentions one for this, too, but I can’t find one in the official app or the web version. Another source of frustration are the mystery items. I’ve been geocaching with my kids and thus we’ve logged exactly the sama caches and they’ve received 8 and 6 mystery items respectively and have way over 600 points while I’ve only found one item and am at a measly 320 points. 

Yes, the leaderboard has been available since the very beginning, on the website and your points on the app. The mystery items are random. It doesn't matter if you log the same cache as someone else they are randomly given. Please see my post on March 30th that includes a response from HQ. Signal items are completely random!

You can see more recent posts too that talk about the same thing.

App: if you are not viewing the experimental profile then try swiping left at the top where it shows the promotions.

Screenshot_20220416-114226.png

Edited by Max and 99

The leaderboard doesn't show in the app.  The score for Signal's Lab does, but you can't see your friends' scores (at this point).  Both in the current profile view and the 'experimental' profile view (enabled via Settings, experimental features).  AFAIK right now the only place to see the leaderboard is via the website.

2 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

The leaderboard doesn't show in the app.  The score for Signal's Lab does, but you can't see your friends' scores (at this point).  Both in the current profile view and the 'experimental' profile view (enabled via Settings, experimental features).  AFAIK right now the only place to see the leaderboard is via the website.

You're correct. I misspoke! You can see your total points for the signal promotion on the app but the leaderboard is on the website. Thank you for that correction. 

On 4/4/2022 at 9:59 PM, Ericles said:

Just noticed the new promotion yesterday so I went out this afternoon at around 17:00 UTC and found/logged a cache. No points awarded. No leaderboard shown. 

Has there been a release delay or is it just me? It was only a 15 pointer but, if previous promotions are any indication, I'll need all the points I can get. :grin:

I'm having similar issue where my points stopped at 165. Any one know a work around to get this fixed? Thanks!

Took the afternoon off to go caching as the last few days have been raining sideways here and the sun finally came out. 

Found 8 caches and got 3 Signal's Labyrinth items today and my souvenir. Makes qualifying pretty easy with 4 items.

Has anybody actually *seen* a firefly upon logging a find, whether stationary or flitting about or hanging out on their maze w/Signal? I have earned three "Signal's Labyrinth items" but despite avidly staring at my screen (tried on both phone app and desktop app) while clicking Found and/or submitting log, no firefly or announcement or banner has appeared. Just the points added to my leaderboard, so there's that for sure. I'd just like to see one of the little buggers (buggers, get it?) if they do show up somewhere.

3 minutes ago, La Deep Hike said:

Has anybody actually *seen* a firefly upon logging a find, whether stationary or flitting about or hanging out on their maze w/Signal?

I've only received one firefly, when logging on my computer from a draft, and it appeared just like the souvenir banners do, a small little window that slides in from the right, and it had a firefly on it.  Said something like "Congratulations, you've found a firefly" or similar.  I was surprised since I thought it was only in the app that the banner appeared - but I saw it and I also got the 60 points.

33 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

I've only received one firefly, when logging on my computer from a draft, and it appeared just like the souvenir banners do, a small little window that slides in from the right, and it had a firefly on it.  Said something like "Congratulations, you've found a firefly" or similar.  I was surprised since I thought it was only in the app that the banner appeared - but I saw it and I also got the 60 points.

I rarely log from the app, preferring instead to do it from my PC when I get home. My last cache finds were on Wednesday, when I found seven caches and I see I got three Labyrinth items with those, but yesterday (Friday), when I was struggling with a new 1.5/1.5 tradtional and needed to message the owner, whenever I opened the app, I'd get the firefly notification pop up even though I didn't find any caches.

On 4/23/2022 at 11:41 AM, CAVinoGal said:

So no souvenir for the firefly, just 60 points?

I’ve got 1645 points so far by submitting drafts, but no firefly.

1 hour ago, barefootguru said:

So no souvenir for the firefly, just 60 points?

No souvenir for the firefly - you get a souvenir at 50 points (Signal's Labyrinth) , and one at 500 points (You Escaped the Forest!)  and you have until early June to do that.  The "firefly" is just extra points randomly scattered.  So far I only have 120 points (haven't done much caching lately) and 60 of that is one firely.  And I did see a banner pop up on my computer as I logged it from a draft.

8 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

You have all those points and no Firefly?? Are you sure?

No one is that unlucky!

Thanks for the PM Max, I'd forgotten the (hidden) option of clicking on your name on the leaderboard to show the individual points.  And yes, I've received some 'Signal's Labyrinth item's!

3 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

Thanks for the PM Max, I'd forgotten the (hidden) option of clicking on your name on the leaderboard to show the individual points.  And yes, I've received some 'Signal's Labyrinth item's!

Thank you for letting us know. 

In my opinion it wasn't intuitive that there's nothing to see regarding the Firefly, you just get points randomly. 

On 4/22/2022 at 7:35 PM, La Deep Hike said:

Has anybody actually *seen* a firefly upon logging a find, whether stationary or flitting about or hanging out on their maze w/Signal? I have earned three "Signal's Labyrinth items" but despite avidly staring at my screen (tried on both phone app and desktop app) while clicking Found and/or submitting log, no firefly or announcement or banner has appeared. Just the points added to my leaderboard, so there's that for sure. I'd just like to see one of the little buggers (buggers, get it?) if they do show up somewhere.

I log finds from my PC.  I have not gotten any notifications that I have found a firefly.  When I check the leader board, I see that I have ten "Found a Signal's Labyrinth item".  I doesn't say that it's a firefly.  And the leader board is the only place that I can see that I have found an "item",

The next phase of Signal’s Labyrinth begins on June 6

https://www.geocaching.com/blog/category/news/

With the help of geocachers around the world, Signal the Frog® is navigating through the enchanted forest and can finally see a way out. However, many challenges lie ahead before he can finally make it back to HQ. Just beyond the forest is a murky swamp shrouded in mist. Can you help Signal find his way through the swamp and get closer to HQ? Geocachers have until June 6 at noon UTC to escape the enchanted forest before our journey through the swamp begins.

Wading through the swamp is no easy task and Signal needs every last bit of strength to keep moving and find a way out. Luckily, there are magic potions hidden all around this mysterious swamp. One sip of this magic potion gives an instant energy boost and if Signal can find these potions, he’ll be out of this labyrinth faster than expected.

The magic potions are the special bonus item for this second labyrinth. Every time you log a geocache, you will have a chance of finding one. If you go geocaching with a group of people, there’s a chance that one member of the group might find an item at a cache, but others don’t. These items award bonus leaderboard points that add on to the points you earn for logging the geocache.

You must collect 50 points to earn the first souvenir for the labyrinth in the swamp and 500 points to earn the second souvenir and get Signal out of the labyrinth.

Each labyrinth in Signal’s Labyrinth has different point values for finding geocaches, Adventures, and bonus items. Here are the point values for the labyrinth in the swamp:

Found an Adventure Lab Cache (Adventure Location) 5
Found a cache with 10+ Favorite points 25
Found a Letterbox Hybrid 30
Found a Mystery Cache 25
Attended any Event 20
Found a Signal’s Labyrinth item 50
Found it* 15

*Log a Found it on any other cache type

The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 80 points.

Read our Signal’s Labyrinth announcement blog post for FAQs and more information about the souvenir challenge.

Edited by Max and 99

Cave labyrinth begins August 1st:

August 1st Labyrinth

Here are the point values for the labyrinth in the cave:

Found an Adventure Lab Cache (Adventure Location) 10

Found a cache with 10+ Favorite points 30

Attended any Event 30

Found an EarthCache 30

Found a Multi-Cache 20

Found a Mystery Cache 20

Found a Signal’s Labyrinth item 50

Found it* 15

*Log a Found it on any other cache type

Edited by Max and 99

There's something wrong; when I go to the Signal's Labyrinth page is see the new Labyrinth, the Cave, and the new counter telling me I have 63 days to complete this labyrinth....but somehow my score did not reset to 0 but still shows the points I gathered in the previous labyrinth.