Signal's Labyrinth (Memory Lane)

Signal's Labyrinth (Blog post)

Here at Geocaching HQ, it’s not uncommon to hear the question “where in the world is Signal the Frog®?” The only trouble this time is, we don’t know. Last we heard, Signal was seen headed toward a magical and mysterious land in search of inspiration for a new geocache. What our favorite mascot didn’t realize is the secrets of this place are hidden in a series of labyrinths that are way too easy to get lost in! Can you help Signal evade danger and navigate the mazes? Starting April 4, 2022, find geocaches, Adventures, and mysterious bonus items to earn new souvenirs and help Signal make it back to HQ.

Over the next 12 months, geocachers have the chance to earn 2 souvenirs every 2 months for Signal’s Labyrinth as they help Signal escape from 6 different labyrinths. Players who earn all 12 souvenirs for the different labyrinths will earn an additional meta souvenir. The challenge begins with the first labyrinth, the enchanted forest.

How to play

From Monday April 4, 2022 at noon UTC until April 3, 2023 at noon UTC, collect leaderboard points by geocaching and finding special bonus items that are revealed when you log geocaches. Every two months of the challenge, Signal must escape a different labyrinth to get closer back to headquarters. The leaderboard will reset on the first Monday of the month every two months when we move on to the next maze. You must reach 50 points on your leaderboard to earn the first souvenir for every labyrinth and 500 points for the second souvenir.

How can I earn points?

Every two months we change the point values for different types of finds when Signal starts to enter a new labyrinth. We will share the new set of values the Tuesday before the leaderboard resets.

Here are the point values for the labyrinth in the enchanted forest:

Found an Adventure Lab Cache (Adventure Location) 10
Found a cache with 10+ Favorite points 20
Found a Multi-Cache 25
Found a Mystery Cache 25
Found a Signal’s Labyrinth item 60
Found it* 15

*Log a Found it on any other cache type

The maximum number of points you can earn for any cache log is 85 points.

What are the souvenirs I can earn?

There will be 2 available souvenirs for each of the 6 labyrinths. Players who earn all 12 souvenirs for the different labyrinths will earn an additional meta souvenir.*

The first two souvenirs are:
Signal’s Labyrinth: The forest
Signal’s Labyrinth: You escaped the forest

*You have to earn all previous souvenirs in order to collect the bonus souvenir.

Where can I see my souvenirs?

As soon as you collect the minimum number of points, the associated souvenir will automatically be awarded to your profile. The souvenirs appear on your profile on Geocaching.com and in the Geocaching® app under the souvenir tab.

How often will the leaderboard reset for this challenge?

The Signal’s Labyrinth leaderboard will reset every two months at noon UTC on the first Monday of the month. Signal’s Labyrinth will end at noon UTC on April 3, 2023. This means that the leaderboard will reset to zero on the following dates for Signal’s Labyrinth:

• June 6, 2022 at noon UTC
  • August 1, 2022 at noon UTC
  • October 3, 2022 at noon UTC
  • December 5, 2022 at noon UTC
  • February 6, 2023 at noon UTC

Can I still earn the bonus souvenir if I start after the first labyrinth resets?

No. To earn the bonus souvenir, you must earn all 12 labyrinth souvenirs. It is not possible to complete past labyrinths after the leaderboard resets.

Can I join the challenge at any time?

Yes! The challenge is ongoing from April 4, 2022 at noon UTC until April 3, 2023 at noon UTC. Cachers who join in the challenge after it begins will only be able to earn souvenirs for active labyrinths and not those that Signal has already escaped.

What are the special bonus items that are revealed by logging geocaches, and how can I find them?

Each of the six labyrinths has a special bonus item associated with it that will help Signal move through that maze. For example, the item for the first labyrinth, the enchanted forest, is a glowing firefly that helps brighten the path for Signal to escape. There is no way to specifically search for these hidden items, but every time you log a geocache, you will have a chance of finding one. When you do find one and you log your find in the app, you will see a banner message in the app, similar to the message that appears when you earn a souvenir. These items award bonus leaderboard points that add on to the points you earn for logging the geocache.

Where can I see the different labyrinths?

You can see the active labyrinth in the app and on the website. You can watch Signal move through the labyrinth as you earn more points on your leaderboard. In the Geocaching® mobile app, go to your profile and tap on Signal’s Labyrinth to see Signal’s progress moving through each labyrinth. To see Signal’s progress on the website, go to your dashboard and click on “Signal’s Labyrinth” on the section between the “View profile” button and “Your lists”.

How do I find Adventures?

Download the Adventure Lab® app for Android or iOS and start playing!

• Open the app, go to your profile, and log in with your Geocaching account.
  • Select a nearby Adventure from the map or the directory list. Read the description to learn more.
  • Tap Start and navigate to the nearest available Location.
  • Follow the instructions in the description. Find and enter the Location answer.
  • After submitting the correct answer, you earn an Adventure Lab Cache find for your geocaching statistics and points on your leaderboard.
  • Visit and enter the solution for each Location to complete the Adventure. Be sure to rate it and share your experience!

Are Adventure Labs in the Geocaching® app?

Yes! Premium members can see Adventure Lab pins on the Geocaching® app map.

Is this leaderboard challenge in the Geocaching® app and the Adventure Lab® app?

Geocaching® app: Signal’s Labyrinth will be in the Geocaching® app at the beginning of the challenge on April 4, and will be accessible until April 3, 2023 at noon UTC. Go to your profile and tap on Signal’s Labyrinth to see your progress in the Geocaching® app.

Adventure Lab® app: The challenge and your souvenirs are not accessible in the Adventure Lab app at this time, however the Geocaching Leaderboard will still reflect points for completed Adventure Locations.

My points aren’t adding up correctly, help!

• If you change a Write Note, DNF, or other log type to a Found it log, it will not be recognized for Signal’s Labyrinth.
  • You may have logged on before the challenge started at noon UTC (convert to your local time here). We suggest that you wait to log until AFTER Monday noon UTC—which in some places like New Zealand is Tuesday at midnight. Otherwise, the points will not count for the first week.
  • You saved a Draft on the Monday before the challenge for that labyrinth began at noon UTC.

If you have already posted your logs, you can delete your log and then post a new one to have your points count towards Signal’s Labyrinth. To delete your log follow these steps:

• Go to Your Geocaching Logs on Geocaching.com.
  • Select “View Log” or “View / Edit Log / Images.” On the log page, select the “Delete Log” trashcan. Select “Yes” to confirm.

*At this time, you can only edit or delete your logs on Geocaching.com, not in the Geocaching® app.

What does UTC stand for?

Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) is the basis for civil time today. It is the time standard (not a time zone) commonly used across the world. You can convert UTC to your local time here.

Edited by Max and 99
  • Funny 1

Not sure how I feel about the luck-of-the-draw in finding a Signal's Labyrinth item. On one hand it sounds like fun, but I have no idea how common they will be (likelihood of getting one after logging).

Will everyone who logs that same geocache get the special Signal's item? If so, word will spread!

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 1

I'm happy for the people who enjoy this stuff, I know people like earning the souvenirs and I've seen people post them on their social media.

I only care about location based souvenirs (like new states) or one/two date based souvenirs (like International Geocaching Day).  The location based souvenirs make me feel like I'm accomplishing something (like visiting a place I've never been before) and the date based souvenirs are fun for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1

Yeah it depends on whether the "items" are assigned randomly to listings but hidden (functionally like wonders of the world) or if it's just a random success on logging each cache.  Nonetheless, if the items kind of feel like the 'randomness' is relevant (like catching a firefly?), I think it's another interesting twist. 

...I'd commented about how AL finds were dramatically blowing out leaderboard points with friends, so this random factor sort of helps address that, especially if the location points are now low and people who find lots of caches have a better chance at snagging those bonus items due to quantity...  It'll be interesting how the point distribution helps even the playing field again.

I like the theming and the mechanics of the point setup intrigues me. We'll see how this one goes :)

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Max and 99 said:

Not sure how I feel about the luck-of-the-draw in finding a Signal's Labyrinth item. On one hand it sounds like fun, but I have no idea how common they will be (likelihood of getting one after logging).

Will everyone who logs that same geocache get the special Signal's item? If so, word will spread!

Sounds like they’re optional — no souvenir or other memento, just some bonus points — so go find lots of caches for points instead 🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, barefootguru said:

Sounds like they’re optional — no souvenir or other memento, just some bonus points — so go find lots of caches for points instead 🤷‍♂️

I assumed they're just bonus points. I was wondering if it will be random, or everyone who logs the same cache will get those bonus points. We'll find out soon enough.

10 minutes ago, Gill & Tony said:

Am I missing something?  I can't see anything showing how many points you need for each souvenir.  Or will that only be revealed in the leader board? 

"You must reach 50 points on your leaderboard to earn the first souvenir for every labyrinth and 500 points for the second souvenir."

6 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

"You must reach 50 points on your leaderboard to earn the first souvenir for every labyrinth and 500 points for the second souvenir."

Thanks.  I must have read that page half a dozen times, at least twice since HHL told me to read it again,  and couldn't see that bit.

So, sounds like no chance for bonus points if you log your finds via the website rather than the app:

"When you do find one and you log your find in the app, you will see a banner message in the app, similar to the message that appears when you earn a souvenir. "

We hardly ever use the app, we log all our finds from home at the end of the day.  Anyone have any insight on whether bonus points will be available via the web as well??

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, WadeH said:

So, sounds like no chance for bonus points if you log your finds via the website rather than the app:

"When you do find one and you log your find in the app, you will see a banner message in the app, similar to the message that appears when you earn a souvenir. "

We hardly ever use the app, we log all our finds from home at the end of the day.  Anyone have any insight on whether bonus points will be available via the web as well??

The way I read that, the app just provides a banner when you get the Signal Item/bonus points, not that you have to use the app.  I feel confident that you can get the points regardless of your manner of logging. Let us know when you find out!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I'm happy for the people who enjoy this stuff, I know people like earning the souvenirs and I've seen people post them on their social media.

I only care about location based souvenirs (like new states) or one/two date based souvenirs (like International Geocaching Day).  The location based souvenirs make me feel like I'm accomplishing something (like visiting a place I've never been before) and the date based souvenirs are fun for me.

That's interesting.  I feel exactly the opposite.  Location-based souvenirs are the least important to me.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting them, but they just seem like freebies.  I've never been to a location because I can get a souvenir.  I go there some some non-geocaching related reason, find some caches while I'm there and, maybe, get a souvenir.   I don't feel like I've earned them.  In fact, since December I've "earned" 5 country souvenirs without leaving NSW.

On the other hand, with Reach the Peak, I set a target to get all the souvenirs so, each month, I had to plan a trip, decide which caches to target and then execute the plan.  I feel that I've earned these souvenirs.

Still, each to their own.  I know some folk just don't like souvenirs at all.  I enjoy them and display them in my profile.

Edited by Gill & Tony
  • Helpful 3
1 hour ago, Gill & Tony said:

That's interesting.  I feel exactly the opposite.  Location-based souvenirs are the least important to me.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting them, but they just seem like freebies.  I've never been to a location because I can get a souvenir.  I go there some some non-geocaching related reason, find some caches while I'm there and, maybe, get a souvenir.   I don't feel like I've earned them.  In fact, since December I've "earned" 5 country souvenirs without leaving NSW.

On the other hand, with Reach the Peak, I set a target to get all the souvenirs so, each month, I had to plan a trip, decide which caches to target and then execute the plan.  I feel that I've earned these souvenirs.

Still, each to their own.  I know some folk just don't like souvenirs at all.  I enjoy them and display them in my profile.

I guess we are the opposite.  I like to geocache on my own schedule, and don't pressure myself into going out of the way to find geocaches during these promotions.  I have all sorts of unfinished promotions and I don't even look at them in my souvenir list.  On the other hand, I've gone out of my way to go to US states to add them to my list (and get the souvenirs, though honestly it's more about the state map than the souvenirs).  I've sidetracked to New Hampshire and Maine from Boston, Oklahoma from Dallas/Fort Worth, Oregon from Seattle (quite a drive), Kentucky from Ohio, and probably others as well, just to add to my state list. 

I used to enjoy the souvenir promotions when they were like "find 7 different cache types in August", I'd set up geo adventures to do these.  Now they're constantly promoting souvenir challenges and they've lost their novelty to me.

I assume you've earned the country souvenirs because you actually cached there and were retroactively awarded them, correct?  I FINALLY got my Bermuda souvenir!  I've only been to 3 non-US countries since geocaching so I enjoy getting country souvenirs.

Best wishes with Signal's Labyrinth!

• Helpful 3
7 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

I guess we are the opposite.  I like to geocache on my own schedule, and don't pressure myself into going out of the way to find geocaches during these promotions.  I have all sorts of unfinished promotions and I don't even look at them in my souvenir list.  On the other hand, I've gone out of my way to go to US states to add them to my list (and get the souvenirs, though honestly it's more about the state map than the souvenirs).  I've sidetracked to New Hampshire and Maine from Boston, Oklahoma from Dallas/Fort Worth, Oregon from Seattle (quite a drive), Kentucky from Ohio, and probably others as well, just to add to my state list. 

I used to enjoy the souvenir promotions when they were like "find 7 different cache types in August", I'd set up geo adventures to do these.  Now they're constantly promoting souvenir challenges and they've lost their novelty to me.

I assume you've earned the country souvenirs because you actually cached there and were retroactively awarded them, correct?  I FINALLY got my Bermuda souvenir!  I've only been to 3 non-US countries since geocaching so I enjoy getting country souvenirs.

Best wishes with Signal's Labyrinth!

I've done much the same thing.  I was driving from Tampa to Tallahassee and took a quick detour into Georgia.  I also arranged my flight from New Orleans to Las Vegas so I had a long enough stopover in Denver to get the airport earthcache, but those were to add to the US states list.   i would have done that even if there were no souvenirs.

The thing I find wierd about country souvenirs is the acquired date.  I acquired my Bermuda souvenir, as well as all the other recent souvenirs, before they existed!  Yes, they were all retrospectively awarded for places I had visited earlier.

These days it takes some incentive for me to actually go caching. .The problem is I'm the only serious cacher within 50-odd Kilometers of my home and there are only two caches unfound within an hours round trip drive.  I'm saving those for a one-off special event. More accurately, there are a few unfound ones out bush, but they are all high-terrain and I'n not physically capable of doing the hikes.

I did just the one trip in each of the months  of Reach the Peak and I haven't done any caching since 22/2/22.  I do have one trip planned on 23 April when I meet up with my son for a day getting challenge caches.  Gill has a conference about half an hour from our son's place and we are taking a weekend up there.  Gill conferencing and us caching.  That's the only trip I have planned in the last year which didn't involve a souvenir - although it does now.

We do seem to be opposites, but that's what it is all about.  We all cache for our own reasons.  Have fun your way.  Enjoy!

• Upvote 1
37 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Yeah, they now all seem to be a variation on the Mary Hyde one (using the leaderboard points system) or the Mystery at the Museum one (virtual things in caches). The Labyrinth looks to be just a repeat of Reach the Peaks with a different theme and those random bonus points, and it's spread out over a whole year.

My only country souvenir (besides Australia) is from my 2014 trip to New Zealand and seeing that souvenir reminds me of the caches I did there, so I guess in that sense it really is a souvenir. Likewise my only interstate one (Queensland) from my 2019 winter escape to the Sunshine Coast, a nice reminder of some fun times. There's a new challenge just been published close to home that requires 2/4 finds in four states as will as two international ones, so I envisage a bit more travelling coming up and another trip to NZ once the COVID border closures are just a distant memory and air fares have come back down to an affordable level.

• Helpful 1

Don't shoot the messenger here please.

I get that it's a generally good thing to have these types of events that are attainable to new cachers, but for people like myself that will now spend the next 12 months getting these souvenirs just by caching in my normal manner (IE I don't have to go further out of my way or even plan what caches to target like you had to in Mystery at the Museum) then what I'd like to see happen is that the two leaderboards are kept separate. I'd really love to keep the current genuine weekly leaderboard, and have a distinct one for this event.

It's really annoying that every time we have one of these events, the normal weekly leaderboard disappears!
Thank you.

Edited by TwigNZ
gramatical
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1

So it sounds like the bottom line is to cache enough to get 500 points in each two month time frame.  For me, this also implies 'and not too much more'.   I don't want to clear out all my local opportunities, I need to save them for another month that I will need the points for them.  Same problem in Reach the Peak.  So these type of promotion do cause a negative caching impact to me.

• Helpful 2

We usually submit our cache finds through GSAK via the geocaching API if we have found more than a few at one time so hopefully this does not get in the way of the, as described : "finding special bonus items that are revealed when you log geocaches"

Although like some of the others above we really don't pay much attention to souvenirs, badges, the leader-board, or these special events.  We just like caching and don't go out of our way to chase  these things, so far.

• Surprised 1

Lots of folks seem to hate using the ap. Fine I get it.  Regardless most of the folks here will find way over 34 caches in a two month period. You'll get the souvenir don't worry and even if you don't is it really a big deal. The special item is a 8.3% boost to the every two month goal, if you don't get it so you have to find 4 more caches. I really don't see the big deal.

Let's focus on the positive hopefully these promotions hook more folks, from the looks of things from the outside with more promotions I'm guessing GS has the data to show the benefits.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, MNTA said:

Regardless most of the folks here will find way over 34 caches in a two month period. You'll get the souvenir don't worry and even if you don't is it really a big deal. The special item is a 8.3% boost to the every two month goal, if you don't get it so you have to find 4 more caches. I really don't see the big deal.

In the first three months of this year I've made 55 finds, so a bit below the target rate but not by too much. However if I look at the map of those finds, most of them were a long way from home:

FindsFirstQuarter.jpg.b53914a72415725b218f513c42fe4164.jpg

The bunch around Hornsby were a new 11-cache series published in February, but new series that close to home are a rare treat. The rest were on group outings to the Blue Mountains (the ones around Richmond, Springwood and Katoomba) and Bulahdelah (west of Seal Rocks on the map), with those around Newcastle mostly related to events and a few new hides by lee737.

That's fine, it's how caching is for me these days, but I don't know how sustainable that rate will be over the full twelve months of the promotion, particularly with the rapidly rising cost of fuel. Last year I found a total of 98 caches, a fair bit down on my longer term average of 150 a year; part of that might have been the long COVID lockdown but also there just simply aren't many new caches being published within a reasonable distance of home any more.

So for me, this will be one of those promotions where if I get any souvenirs, great, but I won't be going out of my way to do so.

• Upvote 2

So it seems to at least start off at 10-20 finds per souvenir (and 2 monthly) - so another round of souvenirs we'll passively collect.... We really need something for experienced players to chew on and be challenged (even just a bit).....

Edited by lee737
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
3 hours ago, lee737 said:

We really need something for experienced players

Really? For what reason experienced players need more promoting features? May be there are some challenge caches you could consider to chew and be challenged?

(I must admit that HQ promotions are extensively using features that are banned from moderns challenge caches.)

Edited by arisoft
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, arisoft said:

Really? For what reason experienced players need more promoting features? May be there are some challenge caches you could consider to chew and be challenged?

(I must admit that HQ promotions are extensively using features that are banned from moderns challenge caches.)

200% Agree

6 hours ago, lee737 said:

So it seems to at least start off at 10-20 finds per souvenir (and 2 monthly) - so another round of souvenirs we'll passively collect.... We really need something for experienced players to chew on and be challenged (even just a bit).....

I'm an experienced cacher and ignore the souvenir challenges.  I'm slowly working on my Jasmer grid, which is pretty challenging.  If I want to fill in my 5 missing months for the year 2000, I need a road trip through NY and PA for two of the months (I'm near NYC so it's drivable) and a flight to Georgia for the other three months.  That's more challenging than finding cache fodder to earn a souvenir.  :D

Edited by GeoElmo6000

We're aware of challenges, it doesn't mean we don't want something else fun to do. Mystery at the museum had that extra layer of needing to find caches with jewels etc, that was more engaging than just getting a souvenir when you didn't even realise it was coming....

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, arisoft said:
11 hours ago, lee737 said:

We really need something for experienced players

It's good to have something to spark a bit of new interest after you've been in the game a fair while. Yes, challenge caches can do that but they need to be in that sweet spot where some extra effort is needed to qualify but it's not beyond the bounds of reasonable possibility. For example, the only way I could qualify for a 365-day streak challenge (or even one a fair bit shorter) would be to move house to somewhere with a lot more caches, but even then, having to go out and find a cache every day regardless of the weather would be more likely to kill off my interest in caching. There's a new challenge just been published near here that I might have a chance with, but it'll require three interstate trips plus a trip to New Zealand so I won't be qualifying any time soon.

The promotion I enjoyed the most was the Road Trip one in 2015 where you had to find a specific cache type for each week of it. Mystery at the Museum started off fun until the final stage was revealed where you had to just find 35 more caches. That might be trivial for someone in a big city with thousands of caches close at hand, but for anyone with limited unfound local caches it was a tall order in the short time allowed.

• Helpful 2
6 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:
12 hours ago, lee737 said:

I'm an experienced cacher and ignore the souvenir challenges.

I'm an experienced cacher and I do the souvenir promos just for the fun of it, despite being typically extremely easy given my regular caching habits... why not have fun with them, instead of letting 'em getcha down, eh? ;)

• Upvote 2
1 minute ago, thebruce0 said:

I'm an experienced cacher and I do the souvenir promos just for the fun of it, despite being typically extremely easy given my regular caching habits... why not have fun with them, instead of letting 'em getcha down, eh? ;)

We do have fun, but prefer that extra layer of tracking down some cache out in the backblocks because it has a ruby, or similar..... or going on a daytrip to find a letterbox hybrid. The souvenir promos have gravitated into the same pattern - find any cache type, get varying points, get souvenir. They're just getting boring.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lee737 said:

We do have fun, but prefer that extra layer of tracking down some cache out in the backblocks because it has a ruby, or similar..... or going on a daytrip to find a letterbox hybrid. The souvenir promos have gravitated into the same pattern - find any cache type, get varying points, get souvenir. They're just getting boring.

Oh sure, but I like to focus more on theme than merely 'earning' the souvenir. That's what makes it more fun for me. And I'd rather have fun than feel like ranting about something I could otherwise easily ignore :)

I could earn one by finding 20 geocaches in a casual day, or I could ignore it, or I could choose to target caches following the theme and actually have a little more fun while easily earning the souvenir. Ya make your fun in this game!

(oh and I still of course fully agree that it would be great to have souvenirs geared towards more advanced/active geocachers to give them something to earn/work for as well)

Groundspeak could learn a little from a smaller player in geocaching - Geocaching Australia, last year had a great promo - a battleship game. You had to find caches to earn shots, then would try and sink battleships in an online game grid. This was to win a small shiny metal disc, painted with enamel paints, similar to a geocoin only smaller..... :)

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

They don't get me down, I just geocache when I want to and I don't go out of my way to find caches just to get a souvenir I won't even notice on my profile.  If they're fun for you, that's great!  I'm very happy for you.

I know, just saying. Every time there's a new souvenir run there are people complaining.  Ignoring them is a great way to continue to enjoy the hobby if they don't interest you. For me it's kind of like movies - if I pay to see a movie, it's less fun to have expectations and be disappointed or even bothered enough to rant to people, than it is to find some way to enjoy the movie and still feel like it's time well spent.  I'd love to see more in these promos to engage people for whom the souvenirs are "simple", but I'd rather enjoy what's there than regularly go somewhere to rant negatively about it all...  That's all I'm saying :)  Or as Dr Steve Brule would say, "For your health!"

24 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Which means - whether you find one depends on your individual log, not the cache that you log.  ie, out with friends, you find a cache, and all log it live in the app -> Anyone may or may not get the "you found an item!" alert.  That's how I take it.

That's how I understand it. 

On 3/28/2022 at 4:57 AM, lee737 said:

We really need something for experienced players to chew on and be challenged (even just a bit).....

Enfranchised geocachers are the ones mostly likely to express disdain for Souvenirs. They're already geocaching a lot and usually finding other challenges for themselves. Challenge caches, streaks, Jasmer, DT grid looping/layering, map filling, or sheer numbers.

The average geocacher has less than 100 Finds per year. Signal's Labyrinth and all the similar past official subgames are about encouraging casual geocachers to spend more time geocaching and hopefully become enfranchised geocachers.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
13 minutes ago, JL_HSTRE said:

The average geocacher has less than 100 Finds per year. Signal's Labyrinth and all the similar past official subgames are about encouraging casual geocachers to spend more time geocaching and hopefully become enfranchised geocachers.

Last year I made 98 finds so I guess that makes me below average and disenfranchised. I don't think the Labyrinth is going to help remedy that, though, since the problem here is a chronic lack of new caches and a diminishing pool of older ones. Even a brand new player here would have to find just about every cache in the region, or do lots of travelling, in order to get through the whole year of this promotion at the required find rate.

Just noticed the new promotion yesterday so I went out this afternoon at around 17:00 UTC and found/logged a cache. No points awarded. No leaderboard shown. 

Has there been a release delay or is it just me? It was only a 15 pointer but, if previous promotions are any indication, I'll need all the points I can get. :grin: