Geocaching in Finland

Mesu

We only learned this year that we could be considered geocachers.

Our club, Nuuksion Metsäsissit, initially Metsäsissit, has been hunting locations in the Greater Helsinki, Finland, area based on coordinates since the 1980s. We used 1:20,000 maps and half-a-millimeter measurement accuracy which gives 10-meter accuracy for the location.

In early 1990s, we started to use a GPS unit to check that the coordinates of the hidden caches were correct. That time, of course, the GPS was more inaccurate than our measurements on the map. The GPS unit was just an aid in avoiding errors in hiding -- we did not use it in finding.

Even today, we still like to find the caches without a GPS unit if it is possible using a map and a compass only. You may say that this is not "real geocaching," but still we are kind of proud for starting geocaching 15 years before it was invented.

Mesu

metsasissit@yahoo.com

Nuuksion Metsäsissit

I'm already impressed with the ingenuity of things coming out of Finland, and now you tell me Geocaching may have independently originated there YEARS ago?! Wow!

It must be a combination of the amount of coffee consumed and time spent in Sauna.

I hope to visit there some day...the birthplace of Linux, Kohonen neural networks, Sibelius, sauna...and now geocaching. icon_smile.gif

I'm already impressed with the ingenuity of things coming out of Finland, and now you tell me Geocaching may have independently originated there YEARS ago?! Wow!

It must be a combination of the amount of coffee consumed and time spent in Sauna.

I hope to visit there some day...the birthplace of Linux, Kohonen neural networks, Sibelius, sauna...and now geocaching. icon_smile.gif

Do you take interesting photos? Look into Crusso's "Where's In A Name Cache" gc3153. My user name coordinate is 24deg. 33.6min.(24 33.6), this can be N, S, E, or W. You may add numbers on the end of 33.6 and the intersecting coordinate is your choice. If you're interested, please contact me.