Release Notes (Adventure Lab®: Adding themes to Adventures) - March 8, 2022

With today’s release, we are adding 31 themes to the Adventure Lab® builder, so that Adventure creators can add themes to their Adventures. For Adventures with themes, players can see those themes on the Adventure detail screen in the Adventure Lab® app (app version 1.3.24 or higher). You can always find the most up-to-date release notes for Adventure Lab in the App Store or Google Play Store.   

Why add themes to Adventures?

We are continuing to grow the Adventure Lab® platform to provide creators and players with tools to explore the world around them in new and unique ways. Adventurers, both existing geocachers and new players, are sharing that they are excited to see Adventure Lab explore more types of content, ideas, locations, and themes than have been traditionally supported in geocaching. For example, we are seeing highly-rated Adventures in theme categories such as ‘Food & Drink’ and ‘Exercise’ and we are hearing parents share excitement about Adventures that are specifically created ‘For kids’ to enjoy. Themes provide another tool for creators to build Adventures with compelling stories with a consistent theme woven throughout the Adventure stages. 

In addition to expanding the types of content available, we also know that players want more tools to find content that is interesting to them, particularly when visiting new places. Themes will help players choose Adventures they’re in the mood for. They might be hungry for Adventure and select one for ‘Food & Drink’, or in need of brain fodder and pick ‘Technology’ or ‘Mystery’. As Adventure Lab continues to grow and become your pocket tour guide, teacher, and entertainer, wherever you explore, we want you to be able to find content that interests you with themes. 

What are the new Adventure themes?

Themes.png

How do I add themes to my Adventures?

You can select up to three different themes for your active Adventures or one you are planning to create. To add themes, log in to the Adventure Lab builder and edit your Adventures. Make sure to select “Update Adventure” to save your edits. If you have available Adventure Lab credits, you’re required to add at least one theme when you create your Adventure.

When can I see Adventures with themes in the Adventure Lab® app?

Themes will be visible in the Adventure Lab® app after creators add them to their Adventures, on version 1.3.24 or higher. Some players will see version 1.3.24 available to update or install in the App Store and Google Play Store as soon as today, but it may take a full week before the new version is available to all players. 

Erin (Oceansazul) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Love 3

Ugh. I wish you would listen to our feedback instead of adding things nobody asked for. 👎

I'm not even convinced those themes are universally understood. Will they be searchable?

Not a fan of the fact that I am now required to add a theme to my new adventure lab. Maybe I'll just select "other". 

Edit: you have to open each and every adventure lab to see if it has the themes you're interested in?

Edited by Max and 99
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Jeppe_07 said:

Will you be adding the posibillity to filter on those themes in the Adventure Lab app also?

We do intend to add filtering on Themes in the near future. We intend to allow some time for creators to go into their Adventures and add themes before we will add this feature to the app.  

• Upvote 1

I think the listed themes are pretty good and would be sufficient in most cases, but one that I think should be included is "Culture". My first Adventure is a tour of our local Chinatown. While I can certainly add three themes from the current list, not being able to add "Culture" is missing out on the primary focus. I can also think of several other Adventures I've completed or seen where the local culture is the primary topic.

As mentioned by others above, "Cycling tour" is one other major theme that seems to be missing.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, The A-Team said:

As mentioned by others above, "Cycling tour" is one other major theme that seems to be missing.

And if you're including that, maybe add "Boating tour" as well. I haven't done any kayak-access ALs but I could easily envisage one. There's also one on Sydney harbour I've done that involves taking a ferry ride around the harbour so that would probably count as a Boating Tour as well.

I was serious about my earlier question regarding the meaning of "Walking tour". One of my ALs is called 5 Lands Walk, with the locations at each of the 5 Lands of what is designated and signposted as a 10km coastal walk. So far, though, all those who've logged a review have said they just drove to each of the locations rather than do the walk, perhaps not surprising given how horrible the weather's been here this summer and autumn. By contrast, another of my ALs can only be done on foot, although it doesn't follow any designated "tour" route through the national park, instead combining three official walking tracks and one unofficial but well-used one to make an interesting loop experience. My third one is nominally a 3.7km beach walk although it's possible to drive close to each of the locations or even catch a bus. I really have no idea which of these, if any, should be classed as a "walking tour".

Well, that confused me!

Applying themes to software usually means changing the look and feel of the software.  These aren't themes, they are attributes.  Why not be consistent and call them attributes?

Now we've got attributes, can we have Difficulty and Terrain as well, please?

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Applying themes to software usually means changing the look and feel of the software.

That could be kind of cool!  They didn't mention if a "theme" App changes look (different skin, color set, custom options), but it could.  Something like "Activities" in a Garmin GPS, where entire menus and settings change to match the activity.  For example, "Driving Tour" may present street routing, while "Walking Tour" has compass guidance.  Or "For Kids" having a very simple interface with big colorful buttons.

Maybe that's the plan.  The OP kind of implies it, kind of.  It's what I'd expect from a "theme".

Edited by kunarion
  • Love 1
On 3/8/2022 at 5:11 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

With today’s release, we are adding 31 themes to the Adventure Lab® builder, so that Adventure creators can add themes to their Adventures.

I'm not sure that it's within the scope of the "themes", but are makers and players presented with customized options upon selecting a theme?  (If I'm way off, you may delete this, I'm just wondering, and even if it applies it might even be too technical for this discussion).

I've been on walking ALs where I could have used an onscreen walking route, to know where to attempt to cross the street, for example.  And I've done ALs where I drive to a different area and then walk to a stage, where I wish I knew where to park.  In that case, I had four Apps open at once, trying to figure out where parking is, in relation to the dot on screen.

If themes add and remove options to match each theme, that would be pretty cool.  Or is the idea more of a way to filter ALs?

• Funny 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

If themes add and remove options to match each theme, that would be pretty cool.  Or is the idea more of a way to filter ALs?

I am afraid the 'themes' are just 'attributes' Looking in the builder for ad-labs, you just select them like an 'attribute' on a normal geocache.

No fancy theming with different backgrounds, fonttypes, images,...

(Real theming would be difficult when you are allowed to select multiple themes, whichbackground/color/font would take precedence)

• Helpful 2
11 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Now we've got attributes, can we have Difficulty and Terrain as well, please?

Now introducing the Mental Challenging-ness and Physical Involvement ratings for Adventure Labs! (and it's in a totally different field in the API just to be annoying to all of the stat. generators.)

I personally would have preferred for "themes" to just be called "attributes", since that's the term that people are familiar with. Alternatively, a term that isn't as easily confused with the "style" definition of theme, ie. "topic" (for the "themes" other than "Driving Tour"), "property", or "(hash)tag".

Edited by Hügh
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1

Looking at the attributes for regular caches, the only one which would never apply to an adventure is "Scuba Gear Required" because you can't answer the questions underwater.

Looking at the themes introduced for adventures, almost all could be applied to regular caches.

I would much rather search for an adventure which has a short hike attribute (because I'm not very fit) or scenic view nearby.  I might want to avoid an adventure because of dangerous animals or thorns or abandoned mines.  None of the "themes" would make me pick one adventure rather than another.

Edited by Gill & Tony
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

Looking at the attributes for regular caches, the only one which would never apply to an adventure is "Scuba Gear Required" because you can't answer the questions underwater.

You can make the question/answer under water and give a permission zone on the surface. There are a lot of questions that can be asked underwater :)

1 hour ago, Kalkendotters said:

You can make the question/answer under water and give a permission zone on the surface. There are a lot of questions that can be asked underwater :)

But repeatedly diving and surfacing is not recommended.  Doing it 5 times in a short period can be dangerous.  Snorkeling, OK,  but not diving.

I would like "Cemetery" added as an Theme. I guess I could add "History" and "Spooky" but cemeteries in my state are usually closed at night and most cemeteries are not very spooky during the day.

"Sightseeing" seems like an overly broad and vague category.

On 3/8/2022 at 6:09 PM, Kalkendotters said:

So basically you added 'attributes' to the adventure lab, but you called them 'theme's ?

I assume they aren't called Attributes because there is very little between geocache Attribute options and lab Themes.

I would really like it if themes could be added to geocaches too because it would be a lot easier to find caches related to History or at cemeteries, libraries, or waterfalls (just to name some places I like to go) without having to rely bookmark lists that are rarely up to date.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:14 PM, barefootjeff said:

One thing I'm curious about is the theme "Walking tour". Does this mean any Adventure that's meant to be done on foot (the opposite of "Driving tour" I guess) or does it imply there's an actual signposted tour to follow or even a guide?

I have done several walking tour geocaches (and I own one). They are usually located in a downtown area and take the person to various points of interests like historic buildings and murals. It's usually more practical to do them on foot than by car.

A driving tour usually covers a much larger area, such as a battlefield or an entire town, and can often be done without ever leaving your car.

Edited by JL_HSTRE
On 3/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, Gill & Tony said:

But repeatedly diving and surfacing is not recommended.  Doing it 5 times in a short period can be dangerous.

4 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

I would like "Cemetery" added as an Theme.

I there a not too subtle warning in these consecutive posts? :D

• Funny 3
On 3/8/2022 at 6:56 PM, Max and 99 said:

Ugh. I wish you would listen to our feedback instead of adding things nobody asked for. 👎

I'm not even convinced those themes are universally understood. Will they be searchable?

Not a fan of the fact that I am now required to add a theme to my new adventure lab. Maybe I'll just select "other". 

Edit: you have to open each and every adventure lab to see if it has the themes you're interested in?

The only thing I dislike more than ALs is Wherigos. I realize there are [big] fans of both and I have done plenty but both badly developed IMHO and my AL app crashes CONSTANTLY (despite multiple reinstalls). So this feels like it will just get clunkier, ie worse. Sigh.

I was really excited when i heard about this on my adventure labs. It's a great idea! 

Out of curiosity, is there any plans to add country/region to an adventure lab? Would be really nice to see my adventure lab finds on vacation added to my map. That way i have a more accurate view of finds per country, province etc. Not sure how much work that would be though. 

Edited by DarkFlare
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1