Japan GeoCaching

Elijah

Japan has them, and a few are hard to get to. Most are fairly reasonable. There are lots of places for caches to be placed, but the getting around can be kind of miserable as they don't use signs for most roads. This in itself is part of the fun, or frustration...depending on how you look at it!

The bigest problem with caching in Japan is the expense in getting around. I live down south and there are basically two that are close by. Most of the rest are up by Atsugi and Yakota, that is a $200.00 train trip for me. Would like to do more but need to get more in my local area.

See you on the trail,

GILDERVOIGTS

quote:
Originally posted by Elijah:

I live in Tokyo now. Of course any cache concievable in Japan is going to be an urban cache.

Elijah

Obviously you haven't been to Nagano, Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku, etc. etc. Once you get outside of the corridor between Tokyo and Osaka, you find that many parts of Japan are really quite rural. I lived there for two years and I can think of many places well off the beaten path for a good cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Elijah:

I live in Tokyo now. Of course any cache concievable in Japan is going to be an urban cache. Any caching here?

Elijah

I have put out two caches. Neither of which are in the urban environment. I just wish that there were more of them in my area. I keep being told that if I place them they will come. Maybe they will. You can always come down here and look for mine.

gildervoigts

See you on the trail,

GILDERVOIGTS

Hi!

I also start geocaching recently and in my region (Tohoku) there is no cache (except mine).

However I happen to go to Hachinohe sometimes. The place is better because there are around 3-4 geocachers in aomori ken area.

Tomorrow I'll attempt one of the cache nearby.

If I have enough time I plan to place a cache nearby too as a way to thanks those geocachers (however I'm lacking of interesting goods to put in the cache... Maybe a micro cache is better).

I guess we need to advertise our hobby in japan.

Well I can't wait for tomorrow ! If everything

goes right it will be my first "cache found".

LeKeno

I will be in Atsugi and at the New Sanno hotel in Tokyo for a couple of days each for a conference. I downloaded a lot of waypoints for caches in what I think are the areas but it looks like a lot of driving which becomes the problem since I will not be getting a car while I am there. Are there any caches within walking distance of either of these places? Thanks for any help you all could give.

Tagco

icon_cool.gif

Hi there,

we will be travelling to Japan this September and hope to find a couple of caches, so thanks to those of you who have placed some so far. As we will be on the JR Pass we might have a hard time to get to caches in remote areas.

Any suggestions for caches in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and Nagoya that are close to places where we "as tourists" would go anyway? Or caches that can easily be reached on Public transport and are worthwhile a visit?

I have checked the database and have downloaded a few waypoints, but it is always better to get some insight from locals who have visited those caches already.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Take Care

Rechercheuse