How do I change my cache ownership to another geocacher? RE: two caches in McGregor Bay, Ontario

Super Scouters

Thanks, COVID....one more causality in your bag of tricks...

Back in 2005, we placed two caches in McGregor Bay, Ontario.  My parents own a cabin in the bay, so it was not going to be a big deal to keep up on them.  However, as the years passed, my family and my brother's family got busier and busier, so the geocaches got neglected.  As it is a 10+ hour drive across the US-Canadian border, it wasn't just a weekend getaway to check on them.

Fast forward to 2020 - my parents, now in their early 70s, were not able to visit their cabin (and neither were my brother or my families) due to COVID.  Between being a non-Canadian as well as not a Native Canadian (First Nation), we were not allowed back to the bay at all.  2021 was basically a repeat of the summer travel ban, and this year isn't looking too favorable either as other health concerns are looming over my parents.

So, it is no longer practical for me to continue to "own" these two geocaches.  I'd love to have someone take them over for me.  They are located on two somewhat remote islands in McGregor Bay, so ideally, someone with a cabin and a boat in the area would be best suited for this.

Is anyone interested, and how do I do this?

For cache transfers, use the do-it-yourself adoption tool found at http://www.geocaching.com/adopt -- you (as the existing owner) will need to go there first, and enter the GC Code and the name of the transferee.  Then, an email message is sent automatically to alert the new owner to go to the same page and accept the transfer.  No involvement by Geocaching.com or a volunteer cache reviewer is needed.

For more information on cache adoptions, see this Help Center article:  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=54

I recommend posting notes on your cache pages to let readers and prior finders know that you are interested in adopting out your caches.

• Helpful 2
On 2/23/2022 at 11:24 PM, Keystone said:

For cache transfers, use the do-it-yourself adoption tool found at http://www.geocaching.com/adopt -- you (as the existing owner) will need to go there first, and enter the GC Code and the name of the transferee.  Then, an email message is sent automatically to alert the new owner to go to the same page and accept the transfer.  No involvement by Geocaching.com or a volunteer cache reviewer is needed.

For more information on cache adoptions, see this Help Center article:  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=38&pgid=54

I recommend posting notes on your cache pages to let readers and prior finders know that you are interested in adopting out your caches.

Hi Keystone,

I'm trying to have another cacher adopt a few of my caches, and can't proceed any further than entering the GC number of the cache I want to adopt out. When I click on LOOK UP it says it can't find the cache. I don't have any trouble finding it - I went to the cache page to copy the GC number, and all is as it should be. What am I missing? I'm using Google Chrome, if that matters.

13 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Hi Keystone,

I'm trying to have another cacher adopt a few of my caches, and can't proceed any further than entering the GC number of the cache I want to adopt out. When I click on LOOK UP it says it can't find the cache. I don't have any trouble finding it - I went to the cache page to copy the GC number, and all is as it should be. What am I missing? I'm using Google Chrome, if that matters.

Are they archived?

10 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

No, none of them.

I did the paperwork on this one, so it's in my name, and I'm trying to give it to the other cacher who's listed as an owner. We did all the work together.

https://coord.info/GC6CKJX

I also tried this one, which I also want to give to that same cacher:

https://coord.info/GC3WHCT

There are a couple more as well.

Interesting! I wonder what is causing that hiccup.

I got the test adoption - that's the part the new owner would get. "It looks like there's a geocache that needs a new owner - are you up for it?"  

I'm going to go try to enter the number by hand, even though multiple tries and multiple copies-and-pastes leave me pretty sure there are no errant spaces. For the sake of being thorough, let me give it a shot.

Here's an amusing wrinkle: When I scroll up to the "/adopt/" link, I get the questionaire part of the new owner's email. Three questions with checkboxes, and "accept" and "decline" at the bottom. I don't get the box where I would enter the GC number any more. So I opened a new browser page, and by hand entered geocaching dot come slash adopt and guess what? The same three questions with checkboxes and the accept and decline boxes at the bottom are there.

Now how the heck did THAT happen? 

6 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You obviously asked yourself to adopt your cache! 

Ha! Maybe I have to go ahead and adopt your Waymark Cache #5 to make it go away?! ;)  Here's what I get:

Geocache Adoptions

Max and 99 has invited you to adopt the listing:

CONTROL's Waymark Challenge Cache #5

Do you want to complete the adoption?

Yes. I have read and understand the guidelines for listing a cache.  

Yes. I have read and agree to the terms of use agreement.  

Yes. I am willing to assume ownership and responsibility for this geocache.  

Don't worry - I'm down here in the Texas panhandle - I don't want to adopt any OK caches!

Well how about that?? I'm back to the box where I can enter my GC number, and I entered the number. It automatically appended the (correct) name of the cache, which made me wonder how it couldn't find my cache if it was able to match it to the correct name. So anyway, I erased the name and other wordage, leaving only the GC number. It seems to have gone through!! 

File that one away under "who'd a thunk it?"

Thanks for the help - I'm going to try and get the others out there before this worm hole closes again!

Ed_S

On 8/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, Ed_S said:

No, none of them.

I did the paperwork on this one, so it's in my name, and I'm trying to give it to the other cacher who's listed as an owner. We did all the work together.

https://coord.info/GC6CKJX

I also tried this one, which I also want to give to that same cacher:

https://coord.info/GC3WHCT

There are a couple more as well.

When I look at each of those pages, and click the cache owner name link, I am taken to the profile of Geoguin Jones. It looks like these two have been transferred.

I apologize for not getting back here sooner - yes, my problem has been resolved. Thank you to those who helped me, especially Max and 99 (I was a big Get Smart fan, back in the day, so thanks for those memories coming to the forefront again, too!)

On 8/7/2022 at 11:42 PM, K13 said:

When I look at each of those pages, and click the cache owner name link, I am taken to the profile of Geoguin Jones. It looks like these two have been transferred.

Yes, indeed. I don't know what I was doing wrong at first, but I ended up able to make the transfers. 

I appreciate the help!