what topo map app do you use for geocaching?

Sad-sac

hello I am looking for recommendations for a topo map program for android devices that I can use for my out door activities.  I was using Backcountry Navigator Pro for several years but the maps are older and/or require a subscription so I upgraded to BCNav XE which has newer maps and has some property parcel overlays for some regions that can be purchased.  While I like some of the topo maps it provides there are a few bugs and other issues that detract from the use of the program so I am seeing what other people are using for topo maps on there hand held devices?

I use Locus Map Pro with the Geocaching4Locus add on. They're an API partner so I can easily download caches for offline use, use a live map for caching if I'm somewhere with service, and log from the app if I wish. For maps I use the free ones available from Openandromaps.org, which are OSM-based. Locus is a strong mapping & navigation program and I can do any waypoint or track-based function I want.

• Helpful 3

Here's a sample screenshot of Locus Map, showing a (retroactively) planned hike for the day past some caches.  Ignore the two words in red; I added those to the screenshot for a cache log.

This shot shows a map from OpenAndroMaps for Hong Kong, with matching Elevate theme.  Slope shading is a nice feature here.  I'm hooked on the app, and happily pay for the subscription version. 

c82f7abf-347d-4ab0-bd3b-7e7d388ef3cb_l.j

Here's another example, with the theme giving special emphasis to a long-distance hiking route, shown in red.  That can be turned off; themes are quite flexible.

Screenshot_20200118-154833.thumb.jpg.c6a69c778b37fa63ec88ee2f133f3b5b.jpg

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 2