Drafts missing

magma1447

The new Drafts page design often misses to load a few drafts in the middle of everything. I have tried to make a reproduction case but haven't managed to. I assume there is some lack of error handling, but hard to read the minified JS.

My work flow is that I am ctrl-clicking a few geocaches on the Drafts page into new tabs. Then I log those, get back to the original page. And sometimes I notices that a few has been skipped. Reloading the Drafts page makes them show. I can only assume that this is some effect from loading a few drafts at a time, where some ajax call isn't working, and that part is just skipped. Or some form of race condition.

Today I had 100-150 drafts to log. I am now into day three of four, and have already noticed missing drafts twice.

Please, please, bring back the old Field notes page again.

Another down-side with the new Drafts page is that the items aren't "real links", so I can't see from the list which I have already opened in new tabs. When I am done logging those I opened in new tabs I need to either remember the name of the last one, or refresh the Drafts page again. With the old design the links changed color since they were "visited", a much better and most useful design. I have never been fond of the new UI for drafts, and now when I am forced to use it I realize it's even worse than I thought.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 4

...exactly my points as well:

- new drafts hides entries when logging some caches and scroll the draft list after that. Only reloading brings the hidden drafts back.

- no classic links anymore to see what you have visited so far.

- no way of opening the listing from the drafts... why not offering links, that you can use "the normal way" (... yes, I know, touch displays, "nicer" user experience... )

So, why not let the user decide: classic or modern, depending on the device or habit... there should be statistics on usage of both page versions... would be interesting to see....

Anyway, the bug of "hiding" drafts needs to be fixed!

Edited by bigchen
  • Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

Other than the bugs in the 'au courant' version, I would have other reasons for preferring the old version as well.

Every time a feature is taken away or made less convenient, I find another reason to use GSAK rather than whatever this web interface to gc.com is offering me.  I find myself using the web site very rarely now.

Aside:

Is there ANY chance of having the GC code displayed along with the cache name on the Daffy Drafts page (the new one)?  Some prefer to work to GC codes rather than cache names.  Seems a pretty small ask.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who liked the very 'default' aspect of the standardized A links in html that highlighted visited links. I used that as well when sequentially going through the drafts and composing.

Also, also glad I'm not alone in wondering why drafts had been mysteriously vanishing from the list... definitely would be a bug that needs fixing!

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 2/21/2022 at 9:43 AM, magma1447 said:

The new Drafts page design often misses to load a few drafts in the middle of everything. I have tried to make a reproduction case but haven't managed to. I assume there is some lack of error handling, but hard to read the minified JS.

I've been seeing this a few times recently ... still. I try to avoid it by reloading an refreshing a couple of times and seeing if the results are different, but that sometimes doesn't catch it. Again, I just composed a bunch of drafts, reloaded the page, and 4 more for that date I just completed appeared. Now my logging order is messed up again.

Why must drafts be a lazy load? Why can't they just all all the items on one page load to ensure none are 'missing'? It's not a complex query, and how often do users have say more than 1-200 drafts to compose? (I know it happens, as I do occasionally, but in the grand scheme, that page has got to be far from a heavy server load)

It's quite annoying "missing" drafts while composing sequentially.

• Upvote 2