French caches, sil vous plais

Skyjellyfetti and Flo

I am travelling to France in a few weeks to visit my fiance's family in Burgundy, specifically Nevers. Are there any good caches in the area? We are also travelling to Normandy and perhaps into Belgium and it would be cool to find something there too. If you know of any good caches in either Burgundy or Normandy, and want to share, please respond via email through the geocaching web site.

Merci beaukoup!

Mountains. They aren't just for breakfast anymore.

Hi!

We are moving to France soon, and we've been researching cache locations. It seems there are some really good ones near us in the Auvergne region if you are into hiking thru les Volcans. Bonne Chance!

Highland Lass

overheard from behind the closed door: "Mommy, when are you getting off the 'puter to make my peanut butter and jelly sandwich?".

Hi all !

I am from France but live in the US. That is true : very few caches and very few cachers in our country. That is sad though because we have so many places to hide, so much history to share.

as far as GPS units are concerned, they are more expensive in Europe than in the US (Although Magellan is a French company !!!) icon_wink.gif

Anyways, it'll catch on, give some time to the frogs to get out of the pond...

Lez'

I was in Paris for a few weeks in January (funny thing is that I was born there, now I only go there as a tourist ;-) and was disappointed to see that most caches (in Paris) are virtuals and that there are so very little of them. I did place one while I was there though (maintained by my sister).

Considering GPS prices in France (I saw my Meridian Plat for $535 in some outdoor gear store!!!), I can't blame anyone there for being a bit sluggish on the uptake ;-)

82972_1100.jpg

My wife and I will be traveling through Paris next week to and from the Ukraine. I am a bit ignorant concerning my gps knowledge. I assume my GPS will work fine over in Paris and in the Ukraine without any special configurations???

Sorry if this is a silly question...

quote:
Originally posted by tgray:

My wife and I will be traveling through Paris next week to and from the Ukraine. I am a bit ignorant concerning my gps knowledge. I assume my GPS will work fine over in Paris and in the Ukraine without any special configurations???

Sorry if this is a silly question...

Certainly will work although it might take some time to get a fix if you leave it on fully auto mode. There is an option to enter a rough location which is well worth doing and this greatly reduces the time to lock.

Dave

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Les gaulois:

I'm afraid, you are right. very few French geocachers. But geoocacher from all countries are welcome.

I have several travel bugs waiting for travelling. If you find some, please, grabe it and make them travel.

Have fun in my country

Romary

Les gaulois icon_cool.gif

I'll be in Paris for a few days at the beginning of August. I've seen primarily virtual caches listed in the area. Have your your travel bugs made it to the City of Lights? If so, I'd enjoy the challenge of finding them and helping their U.S. migration, if that's where they'd like to go.

I'll be in Paris for a few days at the beginning of August. I've seen primarily virtual caches listed in the area. Have your your travel bugs made it to the City of Lights? If so, I'd enjoy the challenge of finding them and helping their U.S. migration, if that's where they'd like to go.

Hello Teach2learn,

Thank you very much for that offer. All my TB already left France and are in Spain, Andorra, Netherland, UK... So, they started to travel.

I hope your journey in Paris will be good. Just a little advise go visit Montmartre, but not only the "place du tertre" where all the tourists go but start at funiculaire and walk in the little streets around the place. That is my favorite walk in Paris. Be carefull café and restaurants are very expensive and not very good around the place du tertre.

Best regards

Les gaulois frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

quote:

Hello Teach2learn,

Thank you very much for that offer. All my TB already left France and are in Spain, Andorra, Netherland, UK... So, they started to travel.

I hope your journey in Paris will be good. Just a little advise go visit Montmartre, but not only the "place du tertre" where all the tourists go but start at funiculaire and walk in the little streets around the place. That is my favorite walk in Paris. Be carefull café and restaurants are very expensive and not very good around the place du tertre.

Best regards

Les gaulois frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

Yes, I checked the updated travels of your TBs. If oompaloompas drop off and log Snoopy Kayak in London, I'd enjoy grabbing him and helping add many miles to his journey, with the promise to release him the following week upon my return. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the Montmartre tip. I'm usually happy with the inexpensive baguettes and crepes. The walk (once you've conquered the hill) to Montmartre sounds nice. I do believe there's a traditional cache in the vicinity I might seek.

Thanks again!

Teach2Learn

Bonjour tout le monde!

I am an avid American geocacher that will be spending most of a year in Paris beginning in September. I plan on signficantly increasing the number of caches in Paris while I am there and would be more than willing to serve as caretaker for any caches visitors wish to place. Paris is an incredible city and my mind is fairly bursting with the possibilites for geocaching! I also look forward to meeting some French geocachers and perhaps introducing some new people to the sport.

See you in September!

--IntotheWoods icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by IntotheWoods:

Bonjour tout le monde!

I am an avid American geocacher that will be spending most of a year in Paris beginning in September. I plan on signficantly increasing the number of caches in Paris while I am there and would be more than willing to serve as caretaker for any caches visitors wish to place. Paris is an incredible city and my mind is fairly bursting with the possibilites for geocaching! I also look forward to meeting some French geocachers and perhaps introducing some new people to the sport.

See you in September!

--IntotheWoods icon_smile.gif

Welcome in france, Paris is a wonderfull town but it is just a part of France. Visit other areas like Alsace, Britanny, Auvergne, the Alpes et caetera

There are lots of opportunities for hunting or hide new caches.

Cheers

les gaulois frog.giffrog.giffrog.giffrog.gif

I'm English and live in the Loire Atlantique region. I have found several good caches in the area, and a beautiful area it is. Admitted we geocachers are few and far between over here so lets have a few more. The number of people visiting can leave a cache somewhere I'm sure, then I will have something to do in the winter.

If not then it's back to UK ???

col

**An offer to any visiting geocachers wishing to place caches in the Paris area**

I will be happy to maintain any physical caches placed here for the duration of my stay (until June 2004). So hide away and make sure you tell the geocaching admins about my offer so they don't deny it as a 'vacation cache!'

Cheers,

IntotheWoods