Language Guidelines

Lostboy1966

I've poked around the guidelines for submitting a cache, and did not notice anything about what entails crossing the line over language in a cache write-up. I assume using the late George Carlin's seven words would be an automatic no-no for a Reviewer, but what about something less harsh like 'Damned'? The exact line I am questioning in a hide I want to publish is:

"Like its predecessor this container is ridiculous even by my standards, and still does not deserve a stupid story to justify its existence, proton modulation bypass interface be damned."

Personally, I think it's fine, but I don't want to risk a publication delay by submitting something questionable. And before everyone tells me 'Ask your Reviewer', I will; I'm just putting this question out so we have something to chat about. ;)

Edited by Lostboy1966
For TriciaG. Their, are you happy now? :)
  • Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

I've poked around the guidelines for submitting a cache, and did not notice anything about what entails crossing the line over language in a cache write-up. I assume using the late George Carlin's seven words would be an automatic no-no for a Reviewer, but what about something less harsh like 'Damned'? The exact line I am questioning in a hide I want to publish is:

"Like it's predecessor this container is ridiculous even by my standards, and still does not deserve a stupid story to justify its existence, proton modulation bypass interface be damned."

Of course there are no precedents in this game, but there's a 2006 cache near here called "Inn of the Damned" (GCY3M3). That said, I know from experience in another unrelated group that Americans can be a lot fussier about certain words than we are in Australia. Perhaps a quick question to your reviewer might be in order before you go too far down the track of assembling your cache.

• Helpful 1

I would not use it. And I was in the Navy too. Maybe a guideline would be; if wonder about it maybe I should not use it. And it seems that is your stance now. 

I see a different use to the term or derivatives between the term you used and the one barefoot used.

Edited by Jayeffel
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

There is language in the Guidelines about caches and cache listings being family-friendly:

Family and outdoor friendly

Geocaching is a family friendly and outdoor friendly game. Cache contents must be suitable for all ages and suitable for the outdoors.

Family friendly

Geocaching is a family-friendly game. Cache page contents, including description and name, must be suitable for all ages.

So... it depends..? (not very helpful, I know)

Edited by Hügh
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
11 hours ago, Hügh said:

Family friendly

Geocaching is a family-friendly game. Cache page contents, including description and name, must be suitable for all ages.

Wow - I somehow never realized that there was an explicit guideline for family-friendly language in cache listings (although I'm not surprised). I've done a few caches, where the language didn't contain outright profanities but was sort-of risqué , and the theme of the cache itself, especially the outdoor part, was most certainly not "family-friendly" :D.

I would concur to what has been said before: If you are uncertain, and the possibly offending word is not a necessary part of your write-up, better omit it.

• Helpful 1
2 minutes ago, Bear and Ragged said:

I'm in the UK, some words OK in the USA are downright rude here in the UK - and vice versa!

Cripes, I can think of a UK word or two that definitely would not carry over to a hide in the US! :o:lol:

I'd never appeal a Reviewer's judgement. They are volunteers, and have all of my respect for what they do. I just started the thread in hope of some fun discourse in the community. :drama:

3 minutes ago, Lostboy1966 said:

Cripes, I can think of a UK word or two that definitely would not carry over to a hide in the US! :o:lol:

I'd never appeal a Reviewer's judgement. They are volunteers, and have all of my respect for what they do. I just started the thread in hope of some fun discourse in the community. :drama:

Language-wise I'm more than happy to go along with the local Reviewer.

There is a story in the UK of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) starting a forum for one of their local radio stations.

BBC Radio for Lincolnshire and Humberside.

You had to register with a User Name and Location.

Due to the 'filters' for 'Rude' words anyone registering in the town of Scunthorpe immediately got blocked!

(Part of the name of the town is 'slang' for a ladies rude part, and is often used as an insult!)

• Funny 2
1 hour ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Language-wise I'm more than happy to go along with the local Reviewer.

There is a story in the UK of the BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) starting a forum for one of their local radio stations.

BBC Radio for Lincolnshire and Humberside.

You had to register with a User Name and Location.

Due to the 'filters' for 'Rude' words anyone registering in the town of Scunthorpe immediately got blocked!

(Part of the name of the town is 'slang' for a ladies rude part, and is often used as an insult!)

Reminds me of the time (many years ago) that MSIE would ban several New Jrsey counties and towns, because they ended with 'sex'.  Middlesex. Essex. Sussex...

• Funny 3

I'm not a Reviewer but generally speaking I think "of the damned" or "be damned" is probably okay, especially in context.

Four letter d-word as an adjective, verb, or single word sentence would presumably get nixed as profanity.

EDIT: as evidenced by what the forum filters do or do not change to "dadgum."

Edited by JL_HSTRE
  • Funny 1
2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

UK vs American usage:

On my first trip to America,  back in the days when I smoked and smoking was allowed anywhere, I was in a lecture theater and had finished my last cigarette.  The chap next to me took out a packet and lit one.  

In my best British accent I asked him if I could bum a fag.

Do remember as a kid being able to buy candy fags?:ph34r:

2 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

In my best British accent I asked him if I could bum a fag.

My high school was originally a boarding school, but later accepted day students like me. A British foreign exchange student came as a boarding student.

The school allowed seniors to smoke. At some point, the British foreign exchange student asked one of his dorm mates where he could "pick up some fags".

I'm pretty sure that everyone in the school heard about that within a week.

• Funny 1