Does my cache count as buried if I hide it like this ... ?

Team_Rhoeny

Hello Geocacher,

I would like to hide my first fishing cache. It is next to a bridge in the forest and can be recovered with a fishing rod / hook and rope. For this I wanted to deposit the outer container (white) between stones and the actual container with the logbook (black) in the outer container. The black can can then be brought up and put back into the outer container without any problems. You only need fingertips feeling ;-) !

In the guideline I found the following paragraph:

"Do not bury

Do not bury caches, neither partially nor completely. You may not dig a hole in the ground, (...)

The only exception is if the landowner gives his explicit permission, (...)"

Since I do not bury my cache, but only clamp it between stones, I do not bury it and do not make a hole in the ground.

Would a reviewer publish my geocache? Or have I forgotten something else?

With kind regards 

Rhoeny

20220217_132253.jpg

20220217_132308.jpg

Edited by Rhoeny

If you actually have the spot picked for the caches and have good coordinates I would (and if you have it in place now - which is sounds not likely) go ahead and start the procedure for hiding a cache. When initiated you can then contact the reviewer on that page. Explain what you have and desire and ask the question. 

If as I assume the cache is planned but not in place  contact your local reviewer for advice. If you do not know who your local reviewer is look at caches in the area and go to one and look at then logs, the very first entry should show the reviewer who published it. Do not use email, use the message form - usually click on the reviewers name it will have a "Message owner" show.

If as you stated a fishing rod etc. is needed that should be stated in the description so cachers going into a forest walk have a proper tool.

I think it would not be buried unless you need to disturb a lot or rock or ground. Simply lodged between rocks or stones should be okay. Please be sure the container is waterproof.

• Helpful 1

If you actually have the spot picked for the caches and have good coordinates I would (and if you have it in place now - which is sounds not likely) go ahead and start the procedure for hiding a cache. When initiated you can then contact the reviewer on that page. Explain what you have and desire and ask the question. 

If as I assume the cache is planned but not in place  contact your local reviewer for advice. If you do not know who your local reviewer is look at caches in the area and go to one and look at then logs, the very first entry should show the reviewer who published it. Do not use email, use the message form - usually click on the reviewers name it will have a "Message owner" show.

If as you stated a fishing rod etc. is needed that should be stated in the description so cachers going into a forest walk have a proper tool.

I think it would not be buried unless you need to disturb a lot or rock or ground. Simply lodged between rocks or stones should be okay. Please be sure the container is waterproof.

Thank you for the detailed description.
The container is waterproof (I have also tested) and a fishing rod or rope with hook (available) is needed. I do not want to destroy any rocks / stones, but only clamp the container (the outer) between a few stones.
Then I will plan my cache and submit it for review. Thanks

If there is an natural pile of rocks s f you only move them a little to secure the white container nothing is buried. As you say the container is still above the ground.

And moving rocks to hide caches is done very often in forests.

I'm a little curious about the fishing part. Are the visitors supposed to stand on the bridge and lower the line to catch the hook on the black container? What stopped them from walking down to the container and pick it up by hand?

Have you tried pouring water in the white container and seen what happens white the black container?

• Helpful 2
3 hours ago, peter-tvm said:

Have you tried pouring water in the white container and seen what happens white the black container?

That would be my first question, it seems like the black container might float and pop up in a heavy rain.

The second thing I would consider is how to reset. If someone takes 20 minutes of fishing to snag the black container and draw it up to sign the log, are they going to be willing to spend another 20 minutes to put it back? Assume people are inherently lazy, they'll be motivated to grab the logbook, less so to put it back. One possible solution (which might make the rain problem worse) is to add a funnel-like part at the top, help guide the black container back into position? Wouldn't make it any easier to fish out (but easier to spot), but should make the reset process easier.

For the rain problem... add some holes in the bottom of the tube so water can drain out?

• Helpful 4
21 hours ago, Darwin473 said:

That would be my first question, it seems like the black container might float and pop up in a heavy rain.

The second thing I would consider is how to reset. If someone takes 20 minutes of fishing to snag the black container and draw it up to sign the log, are they going to be willing to spend another 20 minutes to put it back? Assume people are inherently lazy, they'll be motivated to grab the logbook, less so to put it back. One possible solution (which might make the rain problem worse) is to add a funnel-like part at the top, help guide the black container back into position? Wouldn't make it any easier to fish out (but easier to spot), but should make the reset process easier.

For the rain problem... add some holes in the bottom of the tube so water can drain out?

Publishing may be no issue.  The trick is designing it to function as intended.  It could be a lot of work to get it right, yet the whole thing is fragile, and will need to be replaced often.  And a lot more things than water get into an upright tube.  I have a matchstick Micro in a plastic tube that's been full of earwigs and other bugs.  Yet the plastic tube itself is open at the bottom!

It's a cool idea and might be great with a container and materials that stand up well to the elements.  But the OP may start with that and make adjustments.  I had a "fishing pole" that was a long bamboo pole with a wide-mouth Nalgene bottle attached to a short line (hangs over a tree branch).  I still have it at home after archiving it.  Someday I'll put it back out there somewhere. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1

Thanks first of all for all the posts. 

The idea with the holes in the container is a good idea, then the collected water can also flow off. About borrowing the log: the difficult task is to pull up the container with the rope and the hook (both I hide on site) and then let it down again. The bridge I about 3 meters high (can estimate badly) and of course I can not prevent anyone to climb down. However, this is not very inconspicuous and nettle there is also on the ground. The bridge is the simplest solution!

I destroy when hiding the cans after all no stones, it's just about the hole. And because of the idea with the funnel: Good idea, I will probably also implement. But I have already tried fishing with folding rule and rope, it is easier than you think if you concentrate.

So thanks for all the contributions. I will point to this forum post when posting as proof that I have addressed the question. :D

22 minutes ago, TeamRabbitRun said:

Rhoeny - Please put some thought into one point that was raised above by Darwin743 - How do you expect finders to PUT IT BACK?

The cacher that can't seem to fish it back into place will likely be me.  I've done similar pole contraption caches, and while they are cool and creative, I tend to lose the container nearby.  Maybe it was windy, maybe I was clumsy.  And I can't reach it once dropped.

And often, the last guy dropped it, and I try to retrieve it anyway.  And then I drop it again.  Sorry about that.  :unsure:

Not trying to discourage fun caches!  That hide style is allowable, go for it!  But I have a micro in a tube that cachers are to put back into the tube by hand.  Hold the Micro, slide it into its holding tube.  Simple.  And I'd swear that half the Finders cannot figure out how that works. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

As previous replies stated, this looks like a fun idea, but I can see maintenance issues being a problem. The outer shell looks like it would not survive many freeze/thaw cycles without cracking. Even with holes drilled in the bottom of the outer shell, I would still think that in heavy rain or freezing weather the log holder would still be flooded on a regular basis - is the inner container able to keep dry in these conditions? I would put a test piece of paper in the container and submerge it for a few days to confirm it can stand up to moisture. I also agree with those who worry that after retrieving the container it would be difficult to put back from a line on a pole. Something with magnets to guide it in, maybe? Very interesting idea; please keep us up to date on your progress!