Taiwan, Anyone?

kasapearson

There hasn't been much activity in Taiwan. I'm planning to put a geocache in Yang Ming Shan National Park (north of Taipei); but I'm afraid nobody will ever visit it. I also have a TB that I need to place somewhere that will get some traffic.

Anybody interested in GC-ing Taiwan, please advise.

Do you take interesting photos? Look into Crusso's "Where's In A Name Cache" gc3153. My user name coordinate is 24deg. 33.6min.(24 33.6), this can be N, S, E, or W. You may add numbers on the end of 33.6 and the intersecting coordinate is your choice. If you're interested, please contact me.

I'm getting frustrated with the lack of activity in Taiwan, and I'm a newcomer. Guys like RJT must really be bored!

I'm sure there is a lot of potential for geocaching in Taiwan. Everyone in Taiwan is a gadget-freak. They all have GPS-guided vehicles. And my Garmin eTrex Vista was manufactured right here in Taipei! Why aren't those Garmin employees getting involved in Geocaching?!

I have an idea, but I don't have the language skills to follow-through on it. Could somebody translate some of the "About Geocaching" information from the website, and send an information sheet to Garmin and GPS dealers in Taiwan? I know this would be a lot of work; but I think it would be a big kick-start to geocaching in Taiwan.

Any volunteers?

Garmin.tw reply my letter so quickly.

But it sounds nothing and a little strange.

They say they will consider our opinions and maybe hold this activity like a big game.

I think they mean they'd like to gather players to play in a big game in a day.

I found a link to geocaching.com in their old website, but it disappears in the new website.

I found the web doesn't have Traditional Chinese genearl intoduction of geocache for downloading. (It only has Simplified Chinese one.) So I translate in Traditional Chinese myself.

see the page below:

http://home.kimo.com.tw/rjtkimo/TraditionalChineseGeneralIntorduction.htm

It can be used in Taiwan and Hongkong areas. (Simplified Chinese is only used in Mainland China)

If you think my translation is good and if you will, you can copy and print it,then put in your cache!!!

I also provide it to the admin. Maybe they will put it on the web for downloading.

geocacher rjt.

quote:
Originally posted by Cholo:

Do you take interesting photos? Look into Crusso's "Where's In A Name Cache" gc3153. My user name coordinate is 24deg. 33.6min.(24 33.6), this can be N, S, E, or W. You may add numbers on the end of 33.6 and the intersecting coordinate is your choice. If you're interested, please contact me.

Erwast from Finland sent me photos that he'd taken at E024 33.604 x N60 12.341. These are good scenic photos and can be seen at the gc3153 site. I don't think that there's a rule against logging this cache more than once. As a matter of fact, I think the more photos of different areas of the world, the better.

quote:

quote:

Erwast from Finland sent me photos that he'd taken at E024 33.604 x N60 12.341. These are good scenic photos and can be seen at the gc3153 site. I don't think that there's a rule against logging this cache more than once. As a matter of fact, I think the more photos of different areas of the world, the better.

I can log this cache again only as the photographer of someone elses user name coordinates. Therefore, my user name coordinates are now invalid, for me. If someone else has the same user name coordinates, that's a different story.

I was in the city of Kowshung, Taiwan on Christmas Eve 1970.

(Please forgive me if spelling is not correct.)

There are so many beautiful places to hide a cache in Taiwan. I can not believe that GeoCaching is slow to get started.

In response to the statement:

quote:
Does everybody have the desire to meet each other? Maybe we can create a meeting cache.

I created a meeting cache in Florida, USA called "Ground Hog Day Picnic". The Ground Hog, or Woodchuck as it is sometimes called, is a small furry animal that digs holes in the ground. The legend about this animal is that if he comes out of his hole on February 2nd. and if he sees his own shadow, he will be afraid and go back into his hole which will bring six more weeks of winter. icon_wink.gif

The Picnic meeting cache was a great success and we met many new friends with the same interest. This was also featured in our local newspaper, so it brought GeoCaching to the attention of many more people.

Captain Walker, Frodo & the gang

Dark River Rangers, Florida Company.

Obviously most of the geocaching community did not expect that kind of activity in Taiwan, including myself.

I am now for the third time in Taiwan on business and recently found out that I "retrieved" a virtual geocache by accident on my second visit! (Yeliou Rock). Now I have my GPSr ready and will start hunting caches around Taipei the next weekend! :(

It just needs some sort of initial spark to get things started...

Grüezi from Hackie

B) Dear Taiwan Geocachers, please help me. I created a geocache on Yang Ming Shan and now I have moved to the USA. Can someone please take over this geocache for me? The rules of Geocaching state that you must visit the cache site regularly to ensure the cache is in good condition and that the site is still accessible. If you are interested in becoming a geocache owner, please contact me to arrange for the transfer.