Favorite geocaching statistic

GeoElmo6000

This is my favorite statistic from my geocaching profile:

1737689690_farthesteastcachefind.png.d4104372b1252878fe38f371d74c8247.png

It makes me laugh because the cache that I found farthest east from the prime meridian is the geocache I found at the prime meridian.

Other favorite statistics from my profile: 366 day calendar completed, 12 cache types found in one day.

Most of my geocaching statistics would be considered "poor", such as not having found more than 100 geocaches in a year since 2014, but that's just the way I like to play.

What are your favorite statistics from your profile, and why?

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1

I was never into stats, that was something the other 2/3rds was interested in.

Another looking at my stats (that's how it starts...;)  asked, knowing I prefer high terrain and climbs, why "my" D/T was so low.  :D

Explained that the FTF monster would go after anything that resembled a cache and most were low D/T...

Went basic a few times, and others started asking the same.  We were surprised that others were that curious in us.  Odd...

Anyway...  I got tired of asking what my D/T was in the forums when basic, and now I look once in a while.

I guess my favorite stat would be seen in Project-PC as number of Days Caching per year. I think that only means days logging a find. My highest was 151 caching days in 2020.

This year started with my wife in a hospital or nursing home with broken ankle, so caching is a low priority, did get four so far. 

I'll nominate my cache size stat, with micros only making up a little over a quarter of my finds:

image.png.6e813b2565e9affcdb44b16b0cedfe77.png

I'd like to someday see my regular finds outnumbering micros too, as in the distribution around my local region they do, but with almost all my finds now outside my region that's less likely to happen.

I'm also pretty happy with my average terrain rating of 2.23, which is only slightly below the 2.36 average terrain for caches hidden in my region.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1

These are my favorites:

Overall total finds: 4644 finds in 1461 caching days over 3245 total days (45.0%)
Overall averages: 3.18 finds per caching day, 1.43/day, 10.01/week, 43.40/month

1461 days of fun. Though only one of those days I wish I had made better driving decisions.

7768 days 2000-11-04 2017-05-29 GCA5 United States Traditional Cache Hembre Ridge

Ended up in a ditch driving too fast on gravel roads.

I don't think any of my profile stats are particularly meaningful for me. The stats I currently like to improve are counties with a FTF and counties with a find.

https://www.geocache.fi/stat/ftfkunta.php?la=&userid=217110&zoom=30&slide=1https://www.geocache.fi/stat/kunta.php?la=&userid=217110&zoom=30&slide=1

For me the finds in counties map (on the right) reminds me of the fun I've had bikepacking (the counties along the eastern border and west coast I've never even been to with a car.) And serves as motivation to do more.

The FTF stats represent the social and fun aspect of geocaching. There's no serious attempt to complete that map (or the FTF calendar or FTF d/t grid...) but it's fun to follow anyway. This kind of FTF stats are also the only stats that appeal to my competitive side. Not so much focus on raw numbers, more skill required.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

This Project-GC statistic had me scratching my head for a bit:

image.png.76cabb5433f2b721b3a66d71819aafce.png

Even though the cache name might suggest it's underwater, it's actually well above sea level, but then I remembered it's a puzzle cache and, sure enough, its bogus coordinates are out in the bay. It kind of makes a mockery of this statistic though.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

My favourite 'finding caches' statistic:

image.thumb.png.8706204a40d311314872f473f414bb05.png

That was one crazy day, however, I'm hoping to set my personal best at 15 this May. It's gonna be awesome!

My favourite 'hiding caches' statistic:

image.thumb.png.43e0ff674e57ed2dcd0df28aa6d4b7d8.png

Completing your D/T grid with finds is one thing, completing it with hidden cache is a whole different story.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

This Project-GC statistic had me scratching my head for a bit:

image.png.76cabb5433f2b721b3a66d71819aafce.png

Even though the cache name might suggest it's underwater, it's actually well above sea level, but then I remembered it's a puzzle cache and, sure enough, its bogus coordinates are out in the bay. It kind of makes a mockery of this statistic though.

I totally agree a little annoying.

Though for me another great trip.

Lowest elevated cache found:

-272 ft, Don't Drink the Water GCH657 United States 1

Death Valley California. Interesting fact about this location according to the tour book also the location of the lowest toilet in the US. My daughter said there was definitely better ones and no AC. 123F we did not linger long.

• Upvote 1

My favourite statistics are those I have planned and executed

On the final day of the Mega at Queanbeyan, my son and I planned a route home which would give us 25 different D/T combinations in a day - successfully executed.

My greatest distance between consecutive caches on a single day involved a very early start at Sydney airport, landing in Vancouver before we set off and one cache there, -   12,509 km

I'm working on a challenge set by my son.  100 forgotten years - finding caches whose previous find was at least 183 days before my find and then adding up the total number of days.  So far I'm up to 85 Lonely Caches, totalling 25,928 days or 70.99 years.  I'm hoping for another 15 caches on Tuesday (22/2/22) to get me over the 80 year mark. Unless someone finds them over the weekend :rolleyes:

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

I'm rather pleased with this one:

finds.jpg.6b25272b729188a882a67de2dc115e3c.jpg

I think it represents my ambition to geocache at a steady rate of 1.3 caches per day, or rather 40 per month. 2018 was a crazy year with several big events, and in 2016 I made the mistake of logging 100 unknowns in a day, but the other years look OK. No hint of a Covid dip.

I also enjoy this:

logs.jpg.536b9780f7d1a2374d533e87737ac2e5.jpg

113 words per log is not a whopping number, but you don't get 23% similarity if you fill up your logs with copy/paste content. I never do that, except for those 100 in a day (that was just temporary though, I'll log them properly any day now), so I think this is about as low as it gets. It may have been 22% before the 100. Anyone else have a lower log similarity?

• Upvote 3
On 2/20/2022 at 5:34 AM, Gill & Tony said:

I'm working on a challenge set by my son.  100 forgotten years - finding caches whose previous find was at least 183 days before my find and then adding up the total number of days.

Cool, I'm doing that too! Not working on your son's challenge, but trying to find lonely caches. My limit is a year without finds, and I keep them in a list. So far I'm up to 45 caches and a total of 33,513 days or almost 92 years. I have never done that math before, but luckily I had at least noted the number of lonely days per cache in the list.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

I also enjoy this:

logs.jpg.536b9780f7d1a2374d533e87737ac2e5.jpg

113 words per log is not a whopping number, but you don't get 23% similarity if you fill up your logs with copy/paste content. I never do that, except for those 100 in a day (that was just temporary though, I'll log them properly any day now), so I think this is about as low as it gets. It may have been 22% before the 100. Anyone else have a lower log similarity?

Very nice!  I just checked and mine is 30%. 

I dislike the logs where people just fill up for words.  "Quick find.  And while I'm at it, let me tell you the thousand word essay on how I started geocaching and my favorite phase of the moon and why I think ducks say quack."

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

I think it represents my ambition to geocache at a steady rate of 1.3 caches per day, or rather 40 per month. 2018 was a crazy year with several big events, and in 2016 I made the mistake of logging 100 unknowns in a day, but the other years look OK. No hint of a Covid dip.

I've also been caching at a fairly steady rate, although a fair bit lower than yours at 0.43 per day or about 150 a year. The COVID lockdowns in 2020 and 2021 are pretty evident, as during those times my caching was limited to just doing checks on my own hides within my local region:

image.png.56dc9df03cffe13845bc20652855b96e.png

Back when I started, there were a similar number of new caches being published in my region each year so it seemed like a sustainable find rate, but over the last few years the new hides have dried up to a trickle so I'm having to go further and further afield for my finds, now mostly around Newcaste or Sydney. So far this year there have been four new caches in my region, one of them mine, and that one of mine has only had two finders (both from Sydney) so caching is pretty dead here now.

Edited by barefootjeff
10 minutes ago, ChriBli said:

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it will pick up once all this is over. I heard Australia opened its borders today.

The rot had set in on the Central Coast well before COVID. Back in 2015, one of the local cachers (who's still occasionally active and is the owner of one of this year's new hides) wrote on his cache page, "This cache, like all caches on the Central Coast with a walk involved, will probably get found 5 times in quick succession and then never again as no-one from anywhere else bothers to come here." That cache, a 3/3 puzzle, has now had 18 finds so it's not quite as bad as he'd thought, but what he said is pretty true of anything around here that's not a P&G or an AL bonus.

State-wide it's not too bad, with just shy of 2000 new caches last year, only slightly down on previous years and pretty good considering we were in hard lockdown for three months with no new caches being published during that time.

I've been mulling this over within the last couple minutes, trying to figure out just what statistic I'm happiest with. I think the one statistic I can look back on and feel most proud with is this:

Most consecutive days with finds:

21, from 2020-02-21 to 2020-03-12

Both in terms of the timing, seeing as this was all done just before the pandemic really became a bigger deal internationally, and also because this was a bad time to have a streak. I believe I needed 12 days of streaking for a challenge, then decided after to keep going as far as I could. I had recently bought a premium membership for the first time, so a bunch of "new" geocaches were still around nearby....making for easy pickings, well....sortof. There were some cold days, but I still managed to figure out places to geocache while I managed work and rest. I actually injured myself at work on the 1st of March, and had to take a week off work. It meant I had time to geocache, but it also meant signing logs was...awkward let's just say. It was  ahand injury, so I could walk around with no issue, but signing things meant more care was neede. Anyways, I think the ability to find time to geocache was getting to be too much and I had to stop....I'm justs urprised I got as far as I did considering there were not many geocaches to find near me at the time, and that remains the case to this day.

In terms of hide statistics, I'm pretty happy with this.

69 hidden dates, out of 366 (18.9%)

I may not have many hides, but I do have a decent selection (34 DT square out of 81 isn't too bad) . I we exclude events, I still have about 65 dates, which is alright, but is satisfactory for me. I like hiding in all seasons, but these days, I find it tougher finding good hiding spots I feel compelled to revisit down the road...perhaps I'm just happy with what I have and don't feel the need to hide further away.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, DreamMachine74 said:

I may not have many hides, but I do have a decent selection (34 DT square out of 81 isn't too bad) .

I'm also quite pleased with my hides grid:

image.png.0a16f91b352b54ac42ad87b776a811bf.png

The 1/1 and the 1/2s were events but the rest are actual caches, with the T5s being water-access ones. I'm reluctant to attempt most T4.5s by myself so almost by definition I won't be hiding any of those, and my lone D4 puzzle was perhaps in hindsight a step too far into the D-stratosphere, so it's unlikely I'll be venturing into the D4+ territory any further. But I do think I've struck a good balance across the T range, given the sorts of caches I like to do.

Hmm...  Being an Evil Dolphin (as some other geocachers reference me...), I decided to include a 5D/1T cache in my GeoArt.  .20 mile from parking.  Wheel chair accessible.  Hidden between knee and shoulder level for a cacher in a wheel chair.  Very few geocachers actually solved the puzzle.  Most noticed that there was a gap between the solved coords of two of the other puzzle caches.  And found the cache.  I've learnt my lesson if I ever do that again!  

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
4 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm also quite pleased with my hides grid:

This is my own. I hid most of my higher DT caches just as the pandemic was starting, and prior...anything recent has been easier to get to or the occasional tree climb:

Oh, and those 8 caches that are 1D are all events.

Web capture_27-2-2022_22532_project-gc.com.jpeg

Edited by DreamMachine74
  • Upvote 1

Stat I'm pleased about? 366 unique consecutive date streak - March 1st to Feb 29th, no find the day before or after. No planning increase that count at all. 

Finds per year is a nice quick and simple stat; only paying attention to it because I'm going year #3 of 2000 finds to qualify for a challenge.

Favourite stat though... that's a tough one. I actually like the Project-GC Challenges tab, breaking down the most common stats but only for challenges. DT grid, fizzy, year grids... 

How about awkward stats:

* I used to like cache-to-cache distance, but that gets easily messed up with challenge caches you might log long after being there, potentially adding enormous random jogs across the continent if you signed in on vacation.  I use personal TB visiting now as a better record of actual travels.

* I was proud to have a mountain top cache as my highest altitude find.... until I went to Nevada for the ET and discovered those desert caches had higher recorded altitudes than the mountain in the rockies, lol. My highest caches are now all on the desert plains...

7 minutes ago, mustakorppi said:

Project-GC Challenges reminded me about "Geocaching territory". It's visually appealing and satisfying to work on (up to a point I suppose :laughing:). Should be right up there with normal stats, not hidden away in a checker for a challenge that wasn't approved.

Wow, that's cool! Had not heard about that one. I fulfilled the challenge with an area of 2300 km2 northwest of Stockholm. That is my territory now!

On 3/10/2022 at 12:12 AM, brodiebunch said:

County finds map.png

Can we take a moment to appreciate this graphic. Where did you find / make that entire country county map of your caches? I don't see it on project-gc.com or geocaching.com

I have worked in Microsoft Paint to stitch together a custom made map to prove qualifications for challenges in the past so if you made this yourself like I have, well done! GC554KE was one example.

30 counties.png

I am shamefully addicted to stats. I blame Jon Bois' Chart Party series 

I'm torn when picking my favorite geocaching statistic - most are wrapped up in the challenge cache world, but lately it's a toss up between three:

• My Caching Karma is either
    • (A) (#hides/#finds) sat at 0.90 (1601/1776)   Or
    • (B) (#FP) earned/#finds) 0.17 (299/1776). I like the second definition of Caching Karma because it encourages me to make really good quality caches. Few people need/want bulk.
  • How many people I have exchanged favorite points with - they liked one of my hides and I liked one of their hides. Using 'who favors who' on project-gc I think I'm up to 14 now 
    • HM63, Team Christiansen, BigG59, fish fry, oreoshakers, captain boomer, Tay_Ken, Lazerus3511, Jlanc67, broncobandet, Chubbuck Granny, Clem Kaddilhoper, Teamcrosland, JUHELOBO, 
  • 5 hides bearing the 'rock climbing equipment' attribute. Those ones tend to be a real adventure. Pictured is GC8KK1J Leap of faith on different days.

rappelling.png

8kk1j.jpg

Edited by CheekyBrit

1 hour ago, CheekyBrit said:

Where did you find / make that entire country county map of your caches? I don't see it on project-gc.com or geocaching.com

It's available on the map tab in Project-GC. Just click on the counties button instead of the regions button.

BTW, I've got some of your caches on my Cachetur plan on my way home from Seattle this summer - I hope!

counties.jpg

• Upvote 2

Mine's pretty pathetic, particularly as the one in north-western NSW and the one in Victoria are where a couple of travelling caches that I'd found locally wound up at the time they were archived:

image.png.e4601d3b01b50c2f4c1dae71ef4d088c.png

There are some on Lord Howe Island and some in New Zealand that are off the map but even so I really need to get out more. Fires, floods, COVID and now expensive fuel aren't helping though.

1 hour ago, JustFindingOurWay said:

It's available on the map tab in Project-GC. Just click on the counties button instead of the regions button.

BTW, I've got some of your caches on my Cachetur plan on my way home from Seattle this summer - I hope!

The counties button indeed! Thank you very much! Now you can see how few counties I've been to.

I am honored that some of my caches made it onto your radar. That is the statistic that really matters to me. Building caches that people want to do is my big goal.
A lot of caches of everyone here would be on my radar if I had better ability to travel.

county map.png

On 3/11/2022 at 4:42 PM, CheekyBrit said:

Can we take a moment to appreciate this graphic. Where did you find / make that entire country county map of your caches? I don't see it on project-gc.com or geocaching.com

I have worked in Microsoft Paint to stitch together a custom made map to prove qualifications for challenges in the past so if you made this yourself like I have, well done! GC554KE was one example.

30 counties.png

This is another of my hide stats that I'm pretty happy with:

image.png.dbf401ff63b34287e2803b391c3dcc84.png

Sadly I've just had to archive my EarthCache due to effects of the exteme Hawkesbury River floods in successive years, but I should probably start thinking about another one, maybe at the site I was planning to use for the virtual I didn't get if I can figure out the geological processes there and come up with a suitable logging task that doesn't involve going dangerously close to the edge.

On 2/16/2022 at 3:44 PM, GeoElmo6000 said:

This is my favorite statistic from my geocaching profile:

1737689690_farthesteastcachefind.png.d4104372b1252878fe38f371d74c8247.png

It makes me laugh because the cache that I found farthest east from the prime meridian is the geocache I found at the prime meridian.

Other favorite statistics from my profile: 366 day calendar completed, 12 cache types found in one day.

Most of my geocaching statistics would be considered "poor", such as not having found more than 100 geocaches in a year since 2014, but that's just the way I like to play.

What are your favorite statistics from your profile, and why?

The finds furthest north, west, east or south is the one I find most interesting. Also in the case of UK cachers it is can indicate where people have gone on holiday :) . Mine is no exception.

As for my own profile I could mention the distance to find figures - mine are almost head to head between 1 to 10 km, and 100 to 250 km. I tend to cache away from home and usually in the warmer part of the year. Despite which I do hope to complete the day grid eventually.

I live almost on the 3 degrees west great circle and my first find east of the Greenwich meridian was a meridian marker post in Cambridgeshire, which is actually a few minutes' east of the GPS meridian, as per your observations. That is because the OSGB datum is east of the WGS84 datum, at least parts of in England, not sure about elsewhere. I was at a geocaching event in Peterborough but made the journey especially to find some easterly caches.

Edited by and1969
5 hours ago, and1969 said:

The finds furthest north, west, east or south is the one I find most interesting. Also in the case of UK cachers it is can indicate where people have gone on holiday :) . Mine is no exception.

Not just in the UK.  None of my four are in Australia.  Furthest North and West are both in Alaska, Furthest East in Fiji and South in New Zealand.  All holiday trips.

• Upvote 1