Not able to use external images in cache description since today

technetium

Yesterday I created a cache page with an external image:

ladder.gif

Today I want to edit the page, and get the message:

Remove all images hosted on a third-party website to save changes. Tip: Upload images directly to the cache page with the user-friendly editor.

When I use the upload, I'm left with a black rectangle, I'm suspecting the upload is converting the image and something goes wrong when converting it.

Can you either:

• Permit the use of images from other sites in de cache description. The proxy server used until yesterday worked fine. I understand the wish to protect the privacy of users by not loading images from other sites and the security by limiting what kind of data is included on cache pages.
  • Fix the conversion of uploaded images. Again I understand the wish to remove embedded code from images, and even exif-data from uploaded log pictures to prevent spoilers, but please don't change what the images look like (especially converting them in a black rectangle is unacceptable)

Thanks.

• Helpful 1
30 minutes ago, technetium said:

Permit the use of images from other sites in de cache description.

Third party hosting can still be used if the host is one of the approved sites. See this Help Centre page for details.

Another option is to use a thumbnail version of your image (hosted on geocaching.com) on the cache page with an embedded link to the actual image on the third party site. There's now a pop-up warning about leaving geocaching.com if you do that, but once over that hurdle the link still works.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Helpful 1

Thanks for your response @Bl4ckH4wkGER . So the conclusion is that there was a bug on 15 February that allowed the inclusion of an external image.

Having read the release notes, I'd like to add my voice to the requests to not convert gif's and png's to jpeg's. Or at least use the same background colour as the site when converting transparent images.

Since the thumbnail is also a black rectangle @barefootjeff , my only solution is to use one of the external servers in the list you link to and hope that server last longer than geocaching.com

Tc

• Helpful 1

Something strange is going on here..

I have an unpublished listing draft, and I thought it should be possible to embed an image hosted on my own private webspace directly into my listing. I tried it, and it actually works. Then I embedded the image from the OP in my listing - this also works! Why does it work for my listing draft, but apparently not for @technetium's??

Just now, baer2006 said:

Something strange is going on here..

I have an unpublished listing draft, and I thought it should be possible to embed an image hosted on my own private webspace directly into my listing. I tried it, and it actually works. Then I embedded the image from the OP in my listing - this also works! Why does it work for my listing draft, but apparently not for @technetium's??

Duh! I should have read the Release Note linked by Bl4ckH4wkGER. There it says:

This change will only apply to new cache and trackable pages. You can continue editing existing cache and trackable pages as before, even if they contain images that are hosted on third-party servers.

I created the listing, in which I tested the image placement, before 15 Sep 2020, so it's apparently sort of "grandfathered".

Sorry for the confusion!

• Helpful 2