Release Notes (Adventure Lab® App: Filters) - February 15, 2022

With today’s release, players will begin to see filters for Adventures in the Adventure Lab® app (app version 1.3.21 or higher). You can find the most up-to-date release notes for Adventure Lab in the App Store or Google Play Store.    

What filters will be available?:

1. Today’s release:

• Filter by your completion status of Adventures: completed, in progress, and not started. You must be logged in to use this filter.
  • Filter by Adventure type: sequential and nonsequential.

2. Upcoming planned releases:

• Filter by Adventures that are new within 30 days.
  • Filter by estimated time to complete the Adventure.

AdventureLab.png

3. Future filter considerations: We are monitoring feedback and are aware of additional filters that we know would be valuable to players. We intend to add additional filters in the future. Our goal with releasing this initial set of filters is to provide functionality that many players have requested, to solve pain points that many of you have reported, to deliver functionality to you as fast as we can, and to support a broad audience of Adventurers. 

When can I see filters for Adventures in the Adventure Lab® app?:

This feature will be visible in the Adventure Lab® app on version 1.3.21 or higher. It may take 24 hours to see the new feature. 

Erin (Oceansazul) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Helpful 2

One other note to be aware of with this release: the Profile setting to "Hide completed Adventures" is currently still in v.1.3.21, but using the new filters will override this setting. We intend to remove that setting in a future build and default to filtering for this completion status. Edit: Players will still be able to use filters to choose if they want to see the Adventures for each completion status, or not. 

• Helpful 2

Just this week I've been getting logged off quite often from the Adventure Lab app. I keep having to log back in. I'm wondering if these updates might be causing it. 

19 minutes ago, Oceansazul said:

We intend to remove that setting in a future build and default to filtering for this completion status. 

Not a fan of this plan. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:
4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

Not a fan of this plan. 

Can you explain why you want the same filter setting in the app twice in two different locations?

I suspect Max and 99 is objecting to filtering out completed ALs being the default. Not everywhere is saturated with ALs, in my region there have only been two new ones (one of them mine) in the last 15 months and only 8 older ones. I'd rather see the completed ALs on the map as long as they're marked as such than just see an empty map every time I open the app. It's more common for me to open the app to look up something on an AL I've completed than to begin playing a new one.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
15 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I suspect Max and 99 is objecting to filtering out completed ALs being the default. Not everywhere is saturated with ALs, in my region there have only been two new ones (one of them mine) in the last 15 months and only 8 older ones. I'd rather see the completed ALs on the map as long as they're marked as such than just see an empty map every time I open the app. It's more common for me to open the app to look up something on an AL I've completed than to begin playing a new one.

I edited my post, above, to clarify a bit. Using filters, each player will still be able to choose if they want to see completed Adventures or not by selecting the appropriate filters. 

Nice progress with the Adventure LABs.

What I really need is the possibility to watch every single step of the unfinished Adventures.

I'd prefer to be able to filter so it only shows the available steps (the next step in sequential and all steps in unsqeuential).

Actually I would like the steps to be visible in the official geocaching app.

On 2/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, Oceansazul said:

I edited my post, above, to clarify a bit. Using filters, each player will still be able to choose if they want to see completed Adventures or not by selecting the appropriate filters. 

Will my selection be retained when I reopen the app, or will I be required to reset it to my desired choice every time I open the app?

• Helpful 1
On 2/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Can you explain why you want the same filter setting in the app twice in two different locations?

User convenience is my first thought. Continuity of user experience (comfort?) is another.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
23 hours ago, K13 said:

Will my selection be retained when I reopen the app, or will I be required to reset it to my desired choice every time I open the app?

Your filter selection will be retained when you reopen the app, when you are logged in. If you log out and then log back in, you would have to select the filters again.

• Upvote 1
On 2/21/2022 at 10:45 AM, Oceansazul said:

Your filter selection will be retained when you reopen the app, when you are logged in. If you log out and then log back in, you would have to select the filters again.

I am getting logged out so often from this app! More often in the last two weeks than ever before. Just an FYI. 

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 1

The new filter feature is nice, but I'm finding it a bit confusing.

When no filter is set (nothing selected in the filter options), I see every ALC.

If i select something, I see nothing but the selected ALCs. 

I think it would be less confusing if, when no filter is set, every option is selected (green V) and when I deselect an option , the corresponding ALCs are not displayed.

Or alternatively change the green V by a red X (meaning that you don't want to display some categories of ALCs).

• Helpful 3

It's a fairly typical UI design. For "All" you're effectively disabling filters.  As soon as you set one filter, not the filtering system is enabled and you only get that. Not many places will toggle everything as a means to indicate everything will be returned (especially if there are filters that are options or complex functions).  It's much easier to just 'disable' filtering and return all.

That said, a UI that does this should make it clear that filtering is disabled, rather than just assume the user knows that if nothing is selected, everything is returned.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
On 2/15/2022 at 2:59 PM, Geocaching HQ said:

With today’s release, players will begin to see filters for Adventures in the Adventure Lab® app (app version 1.3.21 or higher). You can find the most up-to-date release notes for Adventure Lab in the App Store or Google Play Store.    

What filters will be available?:

1. Today’s release:

• Filter by your completion status of Adventures: completed, in progress, and not started. You must be logged in to use this filter.
  • Filter by Adventure type: sequential and nonsequential.

*phew* You used "Nonsequential" here. In the email we all received, it said "sequential and inconsequential" .... Inconsequential has a totally different meaning (unimportant). Just wanted to make sure that HQ didn't deem non-sequential AL's as unimportant.

• Funny 1
29 minutes ago, dani_carriere said:

*phew* You used "Nonsequential" here. In the email we all received, it said "sequential and inconsequential" .... Inconsequential has a totally different meaning (unimportant). Just wanted to make sure that HQ didn't deem non-sequential AL's as unimportant.

It was a typo in the newsletter.