GC geochecker - Recaptcha validation failed

Megalodon

The GC internal geochecker from Groundspeak website uses the captcha validation, this ist not working.

The box in which I used to put in a check mark is not displayed and so pressing the button to check the coordinates returns with an error (see attachment)

tested Browsers: firefox V97.0 and edge 98.0.1108.50

Captcha_Fail.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

Ditto on Chrome 98.0.4758.82.  I've done some test recaptchas on another site to check it's not a global problem.

Looking at the F12 developer console for the cache page shows a warning:

"The resource https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api.js was preloaded using link preload but not used within a few seconds from the window's load event. Please make sure it has an appropriate `as` value and it is preloaded intentionally."

So it kind of looks like the recaptcha isn't actually being loaded onto the page any more?

Really interesting. Good investigation Megalodon!

I had uBlock installed and enabled. But whether enabled or disabled: The captcha is not (!) displayed on the PC.
My research showed on the smartphone that deleting the cookies helped. At least a partial success.

But on the PC (Chrome 98.0.4758.102 and Edge 98.0.1108.50) it does still not work :-(

On Edge all Extensions deactivated: No Change

Edited by IngoKnito

Same issue here. Windows 10, both on Chrome and Edge. Found out that accepting all cookies brings back the Captcha! This looks similar to the Message issue some time ago... Is Groundspeak again trying to get us into accepting cookies again???!!! I don't want to accept advertising cookies and other stuff like that. The site should be 100% functional without that crap!

Edited by gerritvanwoerkom
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
26 minutes ago, gerritvanwoerkom said:

Is Groundspeak again trying to get us into accepting cookies again???!!! I don't want to accept advertising cookies and other stuff like that. The site should be 100% functional without that crap!

Thanks for the lead regarding cookies. That may explain why I was unable to reproduce this issue on my machine with the latest version of Chrome with all cookies accepted.

Are others seeing the same thing? We will have a closer look at this.

Regarding your comment above - we are not trying to do anything and your unfounded allegations are not appreciated. Not every single cookie on the internet, even of the advertising variety, is out to get you.

The third party tool that HQ uses to manage our cookie obligations, cookiebot, regularly re-scans and re-categorizes cookies. It appears that in this case it may have gotten the one responsible for the captcha wrong. This has also been the reason for similar issues with other site functions in the past. If that is the case, it will be addressed.

Thank you for your consideration.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 2

I have the same problem. I've just wrote to Geocaching HQ Support and they told me "You may need to log out of your Geocaching.com account, clear your browser's cookies and cache, then log back into your account. We also suggest trying a different browser.". 

Obviously, this doesn't work at all. I'm using updated Chrome.

• Upvote 2
4 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Regarding your comment above - we are not trying to do anything and your unfounded allegations are not appreciated. Not every single cookie on the internet, even of the advertising variety, is out to get you.

A few months ago there was a similar issue with the messaging system. That's what made me a bit suspicious. If you read my comments as an allegation, I apologize for that. It was merely meant as a question.

Let's not discuss wat cookies do and how harmfull they are. I live in the EU and we have simple rules on cookies. I, as a simple user, do not know exactly what these cookies do, but I do know that they can collect data, which can be used for commercial purposes and I don't want that!

Hopefully you will be able to correct the issue soon. Please let me know if I can be of any help :-)

5 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

Google, the biggest advertising company on the planet, is trying to follow everyone around the internet by thousands of different methods, and Recaptcha is one of them. (Why else would they have acquired it for around $25m?)

Recaptcha actively punishes users who try to evade tracking by making the captchas much more annoying and sometimes impossible to solve (the tiles just keep loading forever, slooowly). Plus, unlike Adsense and Google Analytics, Recaptcha can't really be blocked unless you don't care about whatever is behind the captcha. I don't know what "out to get you" means to you, but this does to me. Having to label data for Waymo's self-driving cars for free isn't a great experience either.

I really wish Geocaching.com used a different captcha service. Or, at least, more cache owners opted for an external checker instead.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

This is not very reassuring: https://complianz.io/google-recaptcha-and-the-gdpr-a-possible-conflict/

Furthermore I've let Cookiebot.com perform a compliance test on geocaching.com. The result:

The domain geocaching.com has been analyzed by Cookiebot to determine if it is compliant with EU regulations on the use of cookies and online tracking.
Your website is: Partly compliant

I believe there's some work to be done on this!

• Upvote 5
1 hour ago, Rhodo Dendron said:

Then log in again and allow all cookies (functional, statistics, advertisement...).

That's not a solution, but rather subjecting to the allmighty Google... It's exactly what they want us to do: be good, accept cookies and thereby allowing them to use our private data for their commercial purposes. Anyway, we have to be able to use all the site's functionality without having to accept not necessary cookies!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1