UNESCO schools

In Bussum in the Netherlands I came across an 'UNESCO school'. Curious about it, I rechearched and found out that there is a global network of schools worldwide which use the same learning method and have many connections with each other with the ASP method. There are 11500 schools in 182 countries worldwide. Something for a waymark category?

Here is the summary of the project from their website:

The UNESCO Associated Schools Network (ASPnet) links educational institutions across the world around a common goal: to build the defences of peace in the minds of children and young people. The over 11,500 ASPnet member schools in 182 countries work in support of international understanding, peace, intercultural dialogue, sustainable development and quality education in practice.

ASPnet - a driver for innovation and quality in education - is recognized as an effective tool for reaching target 4.7 on Global Citizenship Education (GCED) and Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) of Sustainable Development Goal 4 - Education 2030.

ASPnet uses three complementary approaches:

1.    Creating: As a laboratory of ideas, ASPnet develops, tests and disseminates innovative educational materials and promotes new teaching and learning approaches based on UNESCO's core values and priorities.

2.    Teaching & Learning: Capacity-building, innovative teaching and participative learning in specific ASPnet thematic areas allow school principals, teachers, students and the wider school community to integrate UNESCO's values and become role models in their community and beyond.

3.    Interacting: ASPnet gives its stakeholders opportunities to connect and exchange experiences, knowledge and good practices with schools, individuals, communities, policy-makers and society as a whole.

ASPnet operates at both international and national levels. A team at UNESCO Headquarters in Paris oversees the network's international coordination. At the country level, ASPnet National Coordinators are designated by UNESCO's National Commissions. Principals, teachers and students lead activities in member schools.

There is a list of participating schools here: https://aspnet.unesco.org/en-us/Pages/Schools by country.aspx

My concern is based on caching guidelines:

Stay away from restricted areas

Do not place geocaches in restricted, prohibited, or otherwise inappropriate locations. Some areas have additional regulations and laws that further restrict geocache placement. Geocaching HQ staff or a community volunteer may temporarily disable or permanently archive the cache page if any of the following is reported. (This list is not comprehensive.)

• A landowner or land manager reports the geocache.
  • The geocache is in an area that is sensitive to additional foot or vehicular traffic. Examples may include archaeological sites, historical sites, and cemeteries.
  • The geocache is on railroad property or right of way. See the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki for details in your region.
  • The geocache is problematic due to its proximity to a public structure. Examples include highway bridges, major roadways, dams, government buildings, schools, military installations, hospitals, airports and other areas defined in the Regional Geocaching Policies Wiki.
  • Locations that strongly encourage or require access through restricted locations.

• As in, not only would Waymarkers be 'hanging around' schools, they would be taking photographs - which may or may not include pupils/teachers/parents.
  • Funny 1

I have learned with geocaching that IT IS not good to stand with phone near public elementary school to gather information for Adventure Lab point. We got people asking what I with my wife were doing! Explained and did show what kind of application we were using on our phones. I would never ever do any geocaching or Waymarking near active school.

Still, made error and did waymark from scupture on school wall. Luckily pictures can be taken without any people visible on pictures.

I don't think Waymarking active schools is an issue. That is up to the waymarker's discretion. I've waymarked a handful of active schools with no issues. Has anyone heard of a weekend? I heard the schools are empty two days a week. Getting back on topic, could you explain a bit more about this proposed category? To me, it is not interesting. What would want me (or others) to waymark them?

I've looked through the list of schools and white there are several spread throughout each country the are kinda rare (60 in the USA cor example) . THus it is a challenge to find them. Second the schools have to meet specific challenges to get the name Unesco school, and or is authorised by an Unesco comitty.  I can remember ons of the comments on the puzzles category was that they weren't officially approved by a government or organisation. These schools are...

Edited by Becktracker

I will agree that Waymarking schools is not a great idea. I, however, have Waymarked quite a number of Benchmarks at schools, almost all, if I recall, in the summer, when school is out and a few on a weekend.

I would venture a guess that The Blasterz have done likewise.

I have also Waymarked Art Deco, Renaissance and Romanesque schools several times, all without incident and all when school was not in session.

I've learned that taking pictures while school is active and pupils are learning rises questions. Even if freedoms of panorama allows me to take a picture from the street at any time in Germany it is hard to explain to someone who walks by. When school is over, during the holidays or on weekends taking pictures from the public ways to the school is no real problem (at least here in Germany).

Nevertheless the topic could be very controversial - probably political - in some countries. These schools could also be all-day schools or boarding schools or schools with security measures the maintainer of the school does not really want to show to the public, which would make photography even more difficult. Also some (wealthy) people may not agree with your doing and may sue you later. Also setting a limit on where waymarks are placed to prevent this from happening would mean the category would not be available to all.

All in all I think this is not really a good idea.

• Helpful 3

I think that enough points in the negative have arisen to make this a non-starter.

On the one hand that may seem a shame, but, on the other hand, given the current global political, and, for that matter, social, situations, as well as other factors, perhaps it's better we aim our cameras elsewhere for the moment.

Keith

• Helpful 2
On 2/13/2022 at 2:04 PM, ScroogieII said:

I will agree that Waymarking schools is not a great idea. I, however, have Waymarked quite a number of Benchmarks at schools, almost all, if I recall, in the summer, when school is out and a few on a weekend.

I would venture a guess that The Blasterz have done likewise.

I have also Waymarked Art Deco, Renaissance and Romanesque schools several times, all without incident and all when school was not in session.

We have A LOT of benchmarks on schools in our finds - the difference over the last several years is that where I used to I limit myself to taking a close shot of the disk and no location shots, now we usually pass by. 

Before schools turned into locked down secure facilities,  if we were out benchmarking when school was in session we would just go into the office to let folks know what we were photographing and why we are there. It was never a problem. 

Not anymore. We just pass on by school benchmarks, unless they are on former schools. 

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
Clarity

It's interesting to read all of the above. I would never have the idea that taking photos of a school (with or without pupils) is an issue. Sometimes I felt a little uncomfortable, when a geocache was hidden somewhere ON a public playground and I didn't dare to create a WM of the US embassy in Vienna.

The only story I can tell: Mrs. PISA and I were once searching for a geocache near an underground station. It took quite a while and suddenly a young man was asking, what we were doing here. I tried to explain and he was obviously puzzled. He then asked "So, nothing with drugs or something?" and when I replied "No" he asked once more and then left. Seems like I look like an old drug dealer. :D

• Funny 1

I have created several waymarks at or near schools - Murals, sculptures, things like that. All done when nobody was there, on weekends or during holidays. At least around here, this is not really a problem.

But it is in the responsibility of the individual waymarker to behave with the necessary sensibility and and responsibility. However, creating a distinct category for active schools, changes a lot. Explicitly asking for pictures of schools as such could raise problems in many countries.

14 hours ago, Becktracker said:

Another idea that bites the dust (doesn't stop me from posting them though)

I've been in your shoes several times, but on the other hand I had a few ideas for categories, that are (IMHO) a valuable addition to the category grid (Chronograms, Feeding the Animals,...). So, don't give up.

2 hours ago, Ariberna said:

Yes Becktracker do not be angry or worry.

I got tired of being denied "hórreos" in barns and yet they created the category of Elevated buildings :-)

You're Welcome, Ariberna.

I just thought that to be a truly worthy historic category and still believe it to be so. The fact that many contemporary sites have, of necessity, crept into the category diminishes it not in the least, in my opinion.

But, Thank You for having brought those cool, interesting and historic structures/buildings to my attention!!

And, Becktracker, Listen to both PISA-caching and Ariberna. Even at 1100+ categories, I don't believe we have yet managed to cover all the great sites of the world deserving of publication here.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Upvote 1