With the update One UI 4.0 for Samsung Galaxy devices I don't get the option to open a coord-link into the Geocaching App

Oberbilker

When I try to open a link from e.g. an e-mail normally I could choose if I want to open the link in a browser or in the geocaching app. After the last update for the new One UI 4.0 from Samsung I don't get this option anymore and the link will directly open in the browser. Have I something to change a setting or is that a setting on your part?

Some information of my device:

Samsung S10
One UI-Version: 4.0
Android-Version: 12

Just ask me if you need more.

Greetings
Oberbilker

• Helpful 1
12 hours ago, Oberbilker said:

After the last update for the new One UI 4.0 from Samsung I don't get this option anymore and the link will directly open in the browser. Have I something to change a setting

:::SIGH:::  This happens each time the app, and/or the UI gets updated....so frustrating!

Go to your device settings, Apps>Default apps>Opening links (may differ on your phoe, I have a Google Pixel 4a, but the steps should be similar).  Scroll down to the Geocaching app, and enable the links that contain http://coord.info - there should be 2, and then there are a couple of others.  Wish the choices would stick, but we seem to lose them with every update, and don't realize it till we go to open a link and we get the browser, not the app.....

• Helpful 2

Default links changed significantly in Android 12. There is a bug with the "feature" though where an app update loses user authorized links. Hopefully, it will be fixed in a future Android update.

Geooh GO monitors the default links and can send the user directly to the Android settings screen to easily reset the links again until the bug is corrected.

17 hours ago, SpiritGuide said:

Default links changed significantly in Android 12

Yes, I'm running Android 12; so it's more an Android thing?  Seems every update to either one (Android or geocaching app, the official one) messes up the default links.  It's not hard to restore them, seems to remember they were the defaults because they are there to check off, but it's ... annoying.

• Upvote 1

Just ran into the Android 12 default link thing with the HQ Android App -- I've had it set to open Waze for years but today it opened Google Maps.  Geooh Go luckily was still using Waze. I had to go into the 'default apps' list and find Waze and tell it to be the default again.  

The open to 'ask' which application seems to have disappeared from the settings that I could find.

When you only reset this one every few years when you get a new phone it takes a while to remember how to do it.

It would be nice if the HQ app gave us the option of which navigation app we wanted to launch like Geooh Go does.

I've never gotten the Adventure Lab to correctly launch Waze as it seems to send the wrong string - but that's another topic.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, CAVinoGal said:

:::SIGH:::  This happens each time the app, and/or the UI gets updated....so frustrating!

Go to your device settings, Apps>Default apps>Opening links (may differ on your phoe, I have a Google Pixel 4a, but the steps should be similar).  Scroll down to the Geocaching app, and enable the links that contain http://coord.info - there should be 2, and then there are a couple of others.  Wish the choices would stick, but we seem to lose them with every update, and don't realize it till we go to open a link and we get the browser, not the app.....

I wondered why clicking on the cache link now brought me to the main site rather than to the app in my Samsung phone. I never put two and two together and was pulling my hair out until I saw this excellent post. Thank you. Back to normal...until the next update, lol. Thanks again.