Release Notes (Website: Enhanced Search Results)

5 hours ago, niraD said:

Are you using a certain third-party app with a name that starts with "c:" by any chance?

One of its known side effects is that it switches your language setting on the web site to English. That helps it scrape the data from the web site (which is also how it violates Groundspeak's terms of use, by the way).

But if you want to discuss this unauthorized app, you'll have to do it elsewhere.

Installed it a couple of days ago to see if it could replace the geocaching app for offline caching as the official app used over 10G in mobile data in 2 weeks time last summer during my holiday while using offline lists the entire time.
But thanks for the heads up. I didn't know it did that.
I'll go to the right place to ask questions about the c:... app

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, Gill & Tony said:

I'm still getting 3.3 million caches for a simple search of Bungendore - see my post above.  Is this being addressed,I didn't see it in the list above?

Thanks

Tony

We experience the same issue while searching for a city. Looks a little bit random. 

Some that do not work (there are much more)

- "Maarn, Provincie Utrecht"

- "Leusden, Provincie Utrecht"

- "Amsterdam, Provincie Noord-Holland"

All of them are automatically generated suggestions in the dropdown of the search input field. 

The result is always around 3.3 million caches with cache GC11JM6 as the first result. Somewhere in Germany, about 330 km away from where we live in The Netherlands.

19 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

the official app used over 10G in mobile data in 2 weeks time last summer

Not related to this thread, but if you're using satellite map imagery that can be a major hog of data and isn't related to which app you use but how you use it. Same goes for if you're loading images in the gallery from geocaches. If you're geocaching offline, no app should use 10gb of data unless you're downloading everything before going offline. But anyway...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
On 2/18/2022 at 3:01 PM, Gill & Tony said:

still getting 3.3 million caches for a simple search of Bungendore

Confirmed, this and many other searches (starting with text, name of city, region etc)   default to all caches, ranked by favorites. This is a slight change in the error ;-) at first it was all caches, starting from cache with the most favorite points, Geist des Hagan GC11JM6  but then ranked by distance from it. 

image.thumb.png.02e84abfd2d6966ec068f5f98e890dba.pngGesit

• Helpful 1

So a chronological order of when I found caches is no longer possible? "Last Found" isn't the same as "Found By Me".

I'm trying to see all the caches I found in December, on the day I found them, and I can't figure out how to do it now. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Edited by igator210
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
37 minutes ago, igator210 said:

to see all the caches I found in December,

Interesting, i can't get "found by me" or found by Isonzo Karst to work.  It was working. something changed

I CAN see your finds. And they are ranked on YOUR find date.  So apparently I can see your finds, and you can't ;-)

You can load logs  - link is for your Found it logs.   

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2

Attended, https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=10    webcam is =11

For a chronological list of my own finds, I have found the following workaround:

1. Click "Your Public Profile" (old dashboard) or "View profile" (new dashboard)

2. Click "Geocaches"

3. Click "All Geocache Finds"

4. Delete the filter "Found by me".

Good luck!

Found_by_me.PNG

• Helpful 1

Our name has an "&" in it and geocaching.com will NOT let us use the new filters. We only get the DNF Signal the Frog image. Tried it from a friend's profile with same results. If I include found by or not found by us we get nothing. It seemed to be working for a bit, but it's not working again today (2/20/22). Can't find a fix in FAQs or here.

Edited by J&LA
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

User Finds not showing found date

I couldn't see a reference to this in this forum, so apologies if it has already been discussed.

One thing I really miss in the new search output is when I am looking at another user's profile and click on their (All Geocache Finds) link. With the old format, I could see when they had found each cache, which then enabled me to scroll through the cache page and find their log to read. 

I don't know of another way to locate a user's log for a particular cache.

• Helpful 1

Confining a search to a U.S. State (New Jersey, New York, etc.) used to be easy and reliable.  The "improved" site actually seems to have eliminated this filter, which is BAFFLING.

Has anyone found a workaround?  I gather from reading the posts in this forum that there are a large number of bugs that are being "addressed", and that use of a State as a filter has fallen off . . . the map.  

I can't believe that the developers overlooked this bug.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/11/2022 at 10:06 PM, baer2006 said:

As for the horrible (over-)use of whitespace, I've given up complaining about that. Nowadays, nice "clean" looks seem to be preferable to actual information

Yes, screens are increasing in size, resolution is getting better and better, yet the actual info on the page is becoming more and more sparse.... sometimes it is 'prettier' (but not this time) but vacuous.....

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
On 2/21/2022 at 1:12 AM, igator210 said:

So a chronological order of when I found caches is no longer possible? "Last Found" isn't the same as "Found By Me".

I'm trying to see all the caches I found in December, on the day I found them, and I can't figure out how to do it now. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I just use the 'Logs' --> 'All logs' from my profile page for this, gives a list from most recent to #1.....

Judging from the abundance of new threads started by desperate people trying to see their own finds, and not finding this thread, I am not the only one that has troubles seeing the connection between a find list and a search result. In the example above it may be the space in the user name that is the problem, I don't know. If I try the same I do get a list with the expected number of items, although I can't figure out what it's sorted by. Clicking the "last found" heading twice does not change the order.

screen.thumb.jpg.7e4ee4215ed1bb1418e2032f2144993e.jpg

• Helpful 2
26 minutes ago, lee737 said:

Kill that 'Found by me' box - that worked for me..... before that I had what seemed like the start of my find list, but randomised.....

Yeah, that seemed to do the trick. Thanks. Strange behavior. Maybe that would help the Seagnoid as well?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

This update is pretty frustrating. I can no longer see my own finds or hides in chronological order. I used to be able to go to my profile page and see a list of caches that I've found or hidden in chronological order. Now I get a map which shows all my hides. What if I want to see a list of the caches I hid in the order I hid them? Or what if I want to see the caches I've recently found? I can also no longer see my friends hides or finds in chronological order either. Please add back the functionality to see a list of everyone's hides and finds in the order they were placed and found. Also, please link this list from the profile page. 

• Upvote 3
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
9 minutes ago, Forest-Ghost said:

This update is pretty frustrating. I can no longer see my own finds or hides in chronological order. I used to be able to go to my profile page and see a list of caches that I've found or hidden in chronological order. Now I get a map which shows all my hides. What if I want to see a list of the caches I hid in the order I hid them? Or what if I want to see the caches I've recently found? I can also no longer see my friends hides or finds in chronological order either. Please add back the functionality to see a list of everyone's hides and finds in the order they were placed and found. Also, please link this list from the profile page. 

You can change the default view to map or list in your settings.

https://forums.geocaching.com/GC/index.php?/topic/362946-release-notes-website-search-to-map-june-17-2021/

Edited by Max and 99
  • Helpful 2

The new "ENHANCED" search sucks!  I cannot do things easily like we used to be able to.  It does not use my home coords....shows me things 200+ miles or more away when looking for local things....doesn't show both D & T.  So many issues, NOT USER FRIENDLY....why change something that wasn't broke!  I dislike this update very much!

Edited by blackdogsMT
  • Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1

This is an awful change!  When I look at my own finds and try to sort by last found, I see my last find was in 2008!  That was yesterday.  Today my last find was in 2003!  So let me get this straight, we can look at everyone else's finds and sort them by "last found" but we can't look at our own.

Am I missing something here?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

It's interesting to compare the way the list of my hides is rendered by the Enhanced Search compared to the Cache Owner Dashboard that was introduced not that long ago:

ListVsCODashboard.jpg.78174e5abcd24009eb28e11948c9f5f0.jpg

Much the same information is conveyed but in a considerably more compact form. Not only that, when shrinking the window it doesn't immediately start dropping columns, rather it reduces the spacing between columns until it gets down to this:

CODashboardNarrow.jpg.0868809f4ba7bd527bfe796c2a51b5e4.jpg

I find it quite puzzling that this same basic layout and resizing functionality couldn't have been used for the new Enhanced Search, or are even all the new modules in the website code so totally different from each other that no code reuse is possible?

• Upvote 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
On 2/10/2022 at 12:39 PM, 2Abendsegler said:

Only the first impression

• Although there is enough space on my Laptop screen, some columns are hidden.
    Unbenannt1.thumb.JPG.389962396b70fe1915f4976baa108344.JPG

• The hidden columns can be shown using the three dots. But then other columns disappear. It is not possible to display the two columns Terrain and Difficulty together. Unless I'm using the browser zoom.
  • By default, the Difficulty column is displayed. If I select a different column, the Difficulty column disappears and I cannot select it again as a new column.
    2.thumb.gif.780ed829a3c7d1614192dc5a22284adc.gif

• Nothing happens when I click Filtered by.
    3.thumb.gif.15f48a70c3d07ac898b0e8a726400a9e.gif

• If I click on the three dots, then I have to select one of the columns offered, otherwise the selection screen will no longer be hidden.

To be honest, has anyone tested this?

The responsive design limit is set to a ridiculous 1440px width before it will show *ALL* the columns.  Seriously?  We all know how to scroll.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, bdp said:

The responsive design limit is set to a ridiculous 1440px width before it will show *ALL* the columns.  Seriously?  We all know how to scroll.

I had to change the scaling on my 1920px wide laptop screen from the recommended 150% to 125%, otherwise I would have four columns in the overflow menu. Everything else became very small and hard to see. I changed it back. Apparently this is being addressed, I keep my fingers crossed it will be fixed before the old found and hidden lists are retired.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

It's interesting to compare the way the list of my hides is rendered by the Enhanced Search compared to the Cache Owner Dashboard that was introduced not that long ago:

Even more striking is the difference between the two below. In addition to the low horizontal information density of the new find list (or search for own finds), there is also a considerable waste of screen area in the vertical direction. The fact that it only recognizes 3,423 of my 4,319 non-labcache finds and shows me only 1,000 of those is another matter entirely.

new.thumb.jpg.ad17f147696013cd7bb0d2e170b2ec48.jpg

old..thumb.jpg.998fe7f5466fdbe5ac445af4e7cfc7c7.jpg

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1

On my Found caches list, accessed via my Profile -> All Found Caches the Defualt order by "Last found" Date does not work properly.
It seems to be ordered by Last Found date of each cache, not my own Found Date (which is displayed) nevertheless

I need to manually uncheck one f the "found" filters, after this it is displayed in correct order

grafik.png

52 minutes ago, SvenGlyxpilz said:

On my Found caches list, accessed via my Profile -> All Found Caches the Defualt order by "Last found" Date does not work properly.
It seems to be ordered by Last Found date of each cache, not my own Found Date (which is displayed) nevertheless

I need to manually uncheck one f the "found" filters, after this it is displayed in correct order

Hi Sven, nice to see you here after meeting on Twosday at Mobee's palindrome event.

Good news: The problem you describe has already been reported by several people.

Bad news: It has not yet been resolved.

By the way, it's better to kill "found by me" than "found by username."

This way, your archived finds will still show.  Best, zeze1 

• Helpful 1
31 minutes ago, Team Canary said:

I want to get a list of all the Unknown Caches I’ve found in NSW. None!?!

But funny (I suppose) - your link seems to work for me.....

They are shown in some sort of random order though (and formatting is ghastly), but it looks correct....

Screenshot 2022-02-25 at 18.14.01.png

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, lee737 said:

They are shown in some sort of random order

Not so random - the search seems to use an arbitrary centre of our state as a reference. If I click the box showing the state, and choose home location, then it works better, only then I can't see archived finds.

• Helpful 1
8 hours ago, Team Canary said:

I think I managed to do what you are after. Now I have no finds in NSW, so I had to choose a region in Sweden where I have some, but that should not make any difference (except possibly that I have no spaces in my region name). What I did was: Go to geocaches I have found. That results in an unordered list of all my finds, including archived, and the search terms are 

search1.jpg.84baf35ac6d57abf069c7f5dc8db8a69.jpg

Then I go into the filter dialog and select the region Uppsala, Sweden and check the unknown type. I get an unordered list that seems to contain all my finds of that type in that region, including archived. The search terms are now

search2.jpg.2aacd57af74ccb9f04034de91f333b6a.jpg

Then I just click the x to remove the "found by me" search term, and magically the list is now in the correct order (last found by me on top). The link in the browser address field is https://www.geocaching.com/play/results/?ct=8&st=Uppsala%2C+Sweden&oid=372&ot=region&sa=1&fb=ChriBli&asc=false&sort=founddate.

Try it and see if it works for you.

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, Team Canary said:

https://www.geocaching.com/play/results/?ct=8&st=New+South+Wales%2C+Australia&oid=52&ot=region&hf=0&ho=1&asc=true&sort=distance

This search is so broken. Go back to the old one!!!

No one replies to my concerns. No matter how many times and eats I try to provide feedback. 

While the issues with the "&" were fixed, there are some remaining issues with other special characters that are no longer allowed by current Geocaching naming conventions.

The space in your name is one such example which will currently throw things off in some cases. 

You currently have three options:

• Change your name to be in line with current naming conventions (these have been around for 5+ years now)
  • Use the old /seek pages
  • Wait until this has been fixed

I am sure @onepooja will report back here once those have been addressed.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1

I just tried with this link: https://www.geocaching.com/play/results/?ct=8&st=New+South+Wales%2C+Australia&oid=52&ot=region&sa=1&fb=Team+Canary&asc=false&sort=founddate.

That gives me a list of 2,424 caches in NSW, sorted in the order of someone's find dates, last being in 2019, and including archived. Could that be the correct list, I ask myself. In that case it doesn't seem the space in the name makes this impossible.

• Helpful 1

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, We have reviewed all the feedback that came in this week, and our engineering team is in the progress of fixing those issues as soon as possible. We have fixed the below set of bugs as of now:

1. when searching for a region or city returning 3.3 M caches all around the world
  2. Caches are sorted by favorite points at first then distance
  3. Username with '&' is not working with filters and giving DNF
  4. Search for "Townsville, State of Queensland" returns 3,000,000+ results, most not in Australia

As promised, the team is working on optimizing the whitespace between columns. While we fixed the username with '&' there are a few usernames with special characters having issues in parsing, and the team will have a solution for that. 

Again, we appreciate your patience and passion for our game, I will keep the community updated on the status.

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, ChriBli said:

Then I just click the x to remove the "found by me" search term, and magically the list is now in the correct order (last found by me on top).

I've noted this as well - I hope the engineering team is focusing on the 'found by me' filter, it seems to be the cause of all the issues I see.....

• Helpful 2
8 hours ago, ChriBli said:

I just tried with this link: https://www.geocaching.com/play/results/?ct=8&st=New+South+Wales%2C+Australia&oid=52&ot=region&sa=1&fb=Team+Canary&asc=false&sort=founddate.

That gives me a list of 2,424 caches in NSW, sorted in the order of someone's find dates, last being in 2019, and including archived. Could that be the correct list, I ask myself. In that case it doesn't seem the space in the name makes this impossible

Correct list. But I can’t replicate it. I put my name in the found rather than ticking Found by Me. But it leaves out archived. 

5 hours ago, onepooja said:

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, We have reviewed all the feedback that came in this week, and our engineering team is in the progress of fixing those issues as soon as possible. We have fixed the below set of bugs as of now:

1. when searching for a region or city returning 3.3 M caches all around the world
  2. Caches are sorted by favorite points at first then distance
  3. Username with '&' is not working with filters and giving DNF
  4. Search for "Townsville, State of Queensland" returns 3,000,000+ results, most not in Australia

As promised, the team is working on optimizing the whitespace between columns. While we fixed the username with '&' there are a few usernames with special characters having issues in parsing, and the team will have a solution for that. 

Again, we appreciate your patience and passion for our game, I will keep the community updated on the status.

Any chance you can acknowledge my concerns?

1. Archived caches not showing up in searches of found caches. 
2. Unable to search using Personal Notes. 

Please. I’ve tried email and messages with no reply either. 

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2