Release Notes (Website: Enhanced Search Results)

The new layout only shows a maximum of 200 search results at one time. I use the search feature mainly to create lists of caches. This restriction makes working with list very tedious. Before the update I did a search, getting maybe 840 results and could export them to a list with two clicks. Now I have to export the first 200, then the next and so on. Very user-un-friendly!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 minute ago, keksbande said:

The new layout only shows a maximum of 200 search results at one time. I use the search feature mainly to create lists of caches. This restriction makes working with list very tedious. Before the update I did a search, getting maybe 840 results and could export them to a list with two clicks. Now I have to export the first 200, then the next and so on. Very user-un-friendly!

Oh no, I did not notice that. I really need adding all results to a list to keep my "solved Mysterys"-List up to date...

The new design is a good idea, and it looks like someone thought about what information users might need. But the execution is really terrible. Once again, important functions are disappeared. And the layout is more than useless (with all the really unnecessary whitespace).

I beg you, take back the release. Work on it in peace until all functions are restored, and all bugs are fixed. Then you can roll it out again.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, -KROP- said:

If your home location is the same as a cache, the distance comes up as Not a Number instead of 0

I can almost sympathize with the omission of that case from the regression testing. Funny that it is NaN km though, when the other distances are given in miles (not meters, as I have come to understand).

• Upvote 1
On 2/13/2022 at 10:07 PM, MartyBartfast said:

I did mention this briefly previously but this time I collected the evidence: I did a search based on my home location (Southern England), and it returns caches in Alberta, Canada!, then clicking the magnifying glass returns caches in Mauritius.

Also the distances on all searches are measured in miles, the distance should honour my chosen settings where I have selected Metric.

image.thumb.png.787f90b422e4e76b036c58056f470145.png

image.thumb.png.97792561b573c81a331d383ecde3a7bb.png

I just tried searching from my home location, and I got the same result! I remembered seeing that Tiny Tim cache on the top of someones search results. So we're all living in British Columbia now, are we? I actually get 43 results, so maybe two new caches have been published in the meantime. Not likely. 

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, keksbande said:

Yes, this was unexpected an unfortunate. This is another example of the problems you get when you try to combine the list of a user's found caches with a search result.

List of found caches: Must include all caches, including archived, even if it is many thousands. Since the list can be very long, it absolutely must be paged. There is never any need to add this list to another list, download it to your GPS or anything like that. You don't want to map it, and you're not interested in the distance from your home location, if there are TB's in the caches or they need maintenance. And the list must be sorted on the user's find date.

Search result: Seldom has to be more than 1,000 items, and doesn't necessarily have to be paged. Archived should not be included as per policy. It must of course be possible to select the whole result (paged or not) to add it to a list, download to GPS, map it or whatever. You want to see the distance, preferrably from a chosen location, and all information about NM, trackables, last found (by anyone) etc that you need when you plan to go out and find caches. Because that is why you search for caches, to plan geocaching excursions. Most of the time the user has not found any caches in the result, so it should be sorted on something else by default, probably distance.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, igator210 said:

When I go into another cacher's finds, am I just blind and not seeing date found field?

We have puzzle caches around me that reply on seeing when CO's found certain caches.

It's there, just that it is called "Last found". Same with your own finds.

• Helpful 1

Just been checking Events local to me. I cannot filter out past events as I could do last week. I can only find the date of the event by using the date placed link on the drop down box. If I want to put the list of events in date order, I see every past event in the world before I get to today’s date and that is up to the 800s on the list. 

Situated where I am, I want to see four regions. Having to have four separate searches is a retrograde step. As I have posted before, this “enhancement” is not fit for purpose and next to useless. Could you revert to the previous system please?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

This may have already been reported but I can't really keep track as there are so many bugs but:

Doing a search having selected "Found By Me" produces this, which I've sorted by last found date, that date is not the date I found the caches, it's the date ANYONE found them.

image.thumb.png.6e3519bcb257284573cad13f1ea6b6b4.png

Changing the search to "Found By" MartyBartfast, it seems to produce the same list, but the "Last Found" column is the date I found them.

image.thumb.png.38982f4ce788c97762fb86ea8943596d.png

Both searches should produce exactly the same result, and for this searchthe "Last Found" date should be the date I found them, and the column should be renamed.

Also FWIW the 3,627 total  is way out (should be over 7,175) I assume this is because the search is missing archived caches even though I hadn't filtered out unavailable caches, but I think this has already been mentioned.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 3
On 2/13/2022 at 8:03 AM, kunarion said:

I see the same thing.  And once the search result appears, if I next click "Clear All" (Filters), it restores my home location.  AND if I next search for "GC965C5" (for example), the search then works fine, but of course the filters are then reset.  It's as if there was some odd filter set when I started, but the Filters look OK.

I've gotten similar results for "the whole world and you live in Europe" at times for various filter combinations (or, I guess when filters became un-set), so I use "The Old Search" for most of my Geocaching.  It just works, which is what I look for in a feature.  But I think TPTB are cancelling that.

I can affirm that your work around does the trick, but I don't know how to get "The Old Search," which would still be preferable to me.  Among other things, when I try to generate a list from the new search function, it seems to limit me to 200 caches.  The old one allowed 1000.  I wish it allowed even more.  How can I get back to the old one.

• Helpful 1
20 minutes ago, Ocean Lovers said:

I can affirm that your work around does the trick, but I don't know how to get "The Old Search," which would still be preferable to me.  Among other things, when I try to generate a list from the new search function, it seems to limit me to 200 caches.  The old one allowed 1000.  I wish it allowed even more.  How can I get back to the old one.

I’m currently using the one at geocaching.com/seek

It doesn’t create lists or anything, it’s the old search.

8 hours ago, ChriBli said:

I can almost sympathize with the omission of that case from the regression testing. Funny that it is NaN km though, when the other distances are given in miles (not meters, as I have come to understand).

It wasn't just with the distance from home but if you used a GC code in the location search bar, it'd give the distance as NaN.  This issue seems to have been fixed and now shows "Here" as it did before this release. The distances are still imperial even though my settings are metric but I believe they are aware and working on fixing that too.

• Helpful 1

How can I get the old version back? I do not have the patience or time to be continually clicking to different pages to find the information that was available on one clean line. Every time a so called "improvement" is made it is just making things harder.  Why can't you just leave what works ALONE!

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/14/2022 at 9:18 PM, onepooja said:

Search results not correctly honoring imperial/metric

While they are are looking into the date formatting could they also include the "discovered it" emails?
Because "Found it" emails do honor the date format but "Discovered it" emails don't
1715457506_Screenshot2022-02-15231323.png.a0bc8457145046a974c28aab01c60a39.png547895930_Screenshot2022-02-15231418.png.379e92dfb38bc0a2783d948646fb03db.png

• Helpful 2

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, We have reviewed all the feedback that came in since yesterday, and our engineering team is in the progress of fixing those as soon as possible. We have fixed the below set of bugs with today's release:

1. You can sort by Geocache name now plus now Map has two additional sort options: geocache name and trackable count.
  2. Users can search for their hides or cannot search or filter on usernames with '&' character
  3. Searching for specific GC code from LIHP returning accurate results
  4. Filtering on home location via filter panel from existing search results accurately
  5. Search results not correctly honoring imperial/metric
  6. Inconsistent results when filtering on found by and found date

We are working on the below list of issues:

1. Placed date after is ignored when used
  2. Placed and found by filter chips do not honor user date format
  3. Solved/posted coordinates shows incorrect filter chip
  4. You can no longer add the first 1000 search results to a list
  5. Filter by geotours attributes occasionally shows caches without geotours icon
  6. Encoding errors in Found By username searches

Again, we appreciate your patience and passion for our game, I will keep the community updated on the status.

Edited by onepooja
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, arcbaker said:

How can I get the old version back? I do not have the patience or time to be continually clicking to different pages to find the information that was available on one clean line. Every time a so called "improvement" is made it is just making things harder.  Why can't you just leave what works ALONE!

Bookmark

https://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx

or following pages when already selected types of search are preselected that you often like to do and prey that Groundspeak keep it available for a long enough time.

FWIW in some Browsers (in my case Vivaldi) you can configure searches with selected text within a webpage. So when I want to see a list of found caches of a certain user I just need to select the username with the mousepointer, right klick and instead of selecting to search this word eg in Google, DuckDuckGo or Wikipedia I select my configured "GCfound" search and I receive not only the information Groundspeak no longer want to provide Basic Members at all but even in the for me much more prefered list layout.

It used to be when I filtered by  "Found by Me", then the date found would be the date I found it.  Now it gives the most recent date ANYONE found it.  Not very helpful when I'm trying to zero in on a particular set of caches.  

Also, I like having 1000 caches in my searches.  Please bring back that option.

Frankly, the old search wasn't broken.  I'm not sure why anyone thought it needed fixing.  Your changes aren't really useful.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I wanted to chime in here to clarify one thing that had been raised:

When searching for a players' finds, both via the filters and via the profile page links, you will be able to see the results in the search results table.

However, there will not be an Add-to-List or a View-On-Map button. While the buttons were visible on the previous search results iteration, they were actually not functional in these particular circumstances. This is expected behavior and due to privacy considerations and Legal concerns.

As such, no functionality has been lost. We merely removed buttons in scenarios where they have been non-functional to avoid confusion. It appears that the missing buttons did instead cause more confusion. We apologize for the inconvenience.

• Helpful 1

The search function still does not respect home location relative to geographical boundaries.  For example, searching by a US state provides results in a distance from some arbitrary location within the boundary, not home location.  

D and T needs to be visible and sortable at all times not separately.  Currently, if one change the D to a T sort then it is impossible to go back to D.  Regardless, this sort technique is not useful.  A cacher needs to know both D and T if picking and choosing for list purposes.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

The thing with "miles" vs. "km" in the search results is actually very interesting ;) . The attached screenshot is the result of a search around my home location, incl. my finds, but excluding my hides, sorted by distance from home. Let's discuss ...

• Issue #1: "km" is displayed only for caches, which are more than 1.0 km away. From the one marked with "1" onward, all distances are shown in km.
  • Issue #2: The cache marked with "2" is shown as 1.0 miles away, but it's actually 1.0 km away! Similar for the other close caches shown in miles. So it seems that only the unit symbol is wrong, but not the distance.
  • Issue #3: It seems that the distance used for sorting uses the listed coordinates of a cache, while the distance as shown takes the user-corrected coordinates into account. The mystery cache marked by "3" is listed about 1 km away from me, but the final, which I have entered as corrected coords, is actually 30 meters from my door (so a rounded 0.0 km would be correct).
  • Issue #4: (No number in the image for this) It seems that for the caches up to 1 km distance (where the unit is erroneously given as "m"), the distance is rounded to whole km, instead of the next .1 km. The very first cache in the list is 0.89 km from my home, so it should be displayed as 0.9 instead of 1.0

And yes, my day job is software development and test ... :P

2022-02-16_15h34_01.png

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
15 hours ago, Bl4ckH4wkGER said:

I wanted to chime in here to clarify one thing that had been raised:

When searching for a players' finds, both via the filters and via the profile page links, you will be able to see the results in the search results table.

However, there will not be an Add-to-List or a View-On-Map button. While the buttons were visible on the previous search results iteration, they were actually not functional in these particular circumstances. This is expected behavior and due to privacy considerations and Legal concerns.

As such, no functionality has been lost. We merely removed buttons in scenarios where they have been non-functional to avoid confusion. It appears that the missing buttons did instead cause more confusion. We apologize for the inconvenience.

So this was to be expected, not only due to misguided privacy considerations but also due to Legal ones. Does it also apply to your own finds? I can't really see the privacy or legal issues there.

What the legal concerns could be I can't begin to imagine, but for privacy it must be fear that a user's home address can be revealed by mapping their finds. As barefootjeff pointed out, good luck with that. It would be far more accurate to map their hides in many cases. Is this allowed? I certainly hope so, because you may very well plan a geocaching excursion targeting a specific CO's caches.

Not that it matters that you can't map someone's finds, why would you want to do that? It's just that the challenges to get search working seem to be tough enough without having to add this kind of complications.

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1

Things seem to be stabilising now. I still have a massive issue with this idea that filtering by state/country is in any way connected with where I want the centre to be. The filter by state/country and centre point should be different fields. It is reasonable and desirable to have something tangible like a geographic location or cache as centre point but certainly not an abstract classification of area. Moreover I have no idea how the centre of a random sized region that is not rectangular has been calculated and I suspect not entirely accurate. 

By making these two separate functionalities into one field has caused the development team major headaches whereas separating them would have saved loads of time.

Edited by lodgebarn
  • Helpful 1

If I view another player's hides from their profile, the results once again include archived caches, but if I then click on the Map these geocaches button, it shows the archived caches both as a greyed-out icon on the map and in the side panel list:

image.png.aad79ff4a72b003334c7ba1e0c8bb2d0.png

The map really doesn't like archived caches, though, for if I then click on either the map icon or the entry in the side panel, this pops up:

image.png.03ab37cf56d76a698fe61ce2309bf474.png

Clicking on the X in the top right hand corner just causes the pop-up to disappear and immediately reappear, and the only way out from that point is to close the browser tab.

Curiously, this doesn't happen if I view my own hides in my profile. After clicking the Map these geocaches button, the map and side bar still show my archived hides, but clicking on either of them works as expected, highlighting the cache on the map and opening the cache summary in the side panel:

image.png.28dc02427e813a2a8a858fb582c7628d.png

Edited by barefootjeff

I only use an iPad and iPhone for caching. When I do a search for say Wherigo caches found, I now realise that archived caches are no longer shown which in itself is a retrograde step. However my main problem is that I cannot find the date of when I found a cache. The screen I now see is shown in the attachment. Does everyone one else see this truncated View when using an IPad? Is anyone able to see the date that they found the cache?

Thanks for your help

A12B4BD8-4438-4F95-996B-1A986DE9110A.png

• Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, VangeRover said:

I only use an iPad and iPhone for caching. When I do a search for say Wherigo caches found, I now realise that archived caches are no longer shown which in itself is a retrograde step. However my main problem is that I cannot find the date of when I found a cache. The screen I now see is shown in the attachment. Does everyone one else see this truncated View when using an IPad? Is anyone able to see the date that they found the cache?

Thanks for your help

You need to add "found by: VangeRover". "Found by me" is not working properly at the moment as it does not show archived caches. See my other post.

Edited by famerlor_dragon

Hiya famelor_dragon, thanks for responding.

I am searching as you suggested. My main problem is that I can still only see the screen that I posted earlier. I want to see the screen or similar as shown in the latest attachment which from one of my lists, which are working fine.😀

Can you let me know which screen that you are getting at the moment, please

best wishes,

Terry

85044A01-DEC1-444F-A420-F155F01BCCDB.png

Edited by VangeRover
  • Helpful 1
20 hours ago, baer2006 said:

The thing with "miles" vs. "km" in the search results is actually very interesting ;) . The attached screenshot is the result of a search around my home location, incl. my finds, but excluding my hides, sorted by distance from home. Let's discuss ...

• Issue #1: "km" is displayed only for caches, which are more than 1.0 km away. From the one marked with "1" onward, all distances are shown in km.
  • Issue #2: The cache marked with "2" is shown as 1.0 miles away, but it's actually 1.0 km away! Similar for the other close caches shown in miles. So it seems that only the unit symbol is wrong, but not the distance.
  • Issue #3: It seems that the distance used for sorting uses the listed coordinates of a cache, while the distance as shown takes the user-corrected coordinates into account. The mystery cache marked by "3" is listed about 1 km away from me, but the final, which I have entered as corrected coords, is actually 30 meters from my door (so a rounded 0.0 km would be correct).
  • Issue #4: (No number in the image for this) It seems that for the caches up to 1 km distance (where the unit is erroneously given as "m"), the distance is rounded to whole km, instead of the next .1 km. The very first cache in the list is 0.89 km from my home, so it should be displayed as 0.9 instead of 1.0

And yes, my day job is software development and test ... :P

2022-02-16_15h34_01.png

I checked again, and all 4 issues I listed are solved! Nice job :)!

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, We have reviewed all the feedback that came in since Tuesday, and our engineering team is in the progress of fixing those as soon as possible. We have fixed the below set of bugs with yesterday's release:

1. Placed date filter is showing correct results
  2. Placed and found by filter chips honoring correct user date format
  3. When filtering on found by and found date showing correct results
  4. Solved/posted coordinates shows incorrect filter chip
  5. Encoding errors in Found By username searches
  6. Search results now show caches in kilometers when the user has selected km in preferences
  7. Relative distance calculated using corrected coordinates instead of original coordinates
  8. Distances are being rounded to the next whole number - accuracy lost for nearby caches

1. You can no longer add the first 1000 search results to a list
  2. Filter by geotours attributes occasionally shows caches without geotours icon
  3. Whitespacing issue between the columns on the search result page

Again, we appreciate your patience and passion for our game, I will keep the community updated on the status.

• Helpful 5
  • Love 1

Thanks again onepooja!

Please note that there is another problem with username including an ampersand.

In the Filters window, we are not able to enter a "Not found by" or a "Hidden by" username including an ampersand.

Examples:
Casper&Aero
Wiseman & Naï

Yet, these geocachers exist and are active.

Casper&Aero : https://www.geocaching.com/p/?guid=e300c0d8-36d9-4e88-9052-037d749f544e
Wiseman & Naï : https://www.geocaching.com/p/?guid=44bae090-4713-45fc-b8b6-cf10b7dbff1d

Problem already raised as a bug here:

Best regards!

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, OusKonNé & Cétyla said:

Thanks again onepooja!

Please note that there is another problem with username including an ampersand.

In the Filters window, we are not able to enter a "Not found by" or a "Hidden by" username including an ampersand.

Examples:
Casper&Aero
Wiseman & Naï

Yet, these geocachers exist and are active.

Casper&Aero : https://www.geocaching.com/p/?guid=e300c0d8-36d9-4e88-9052-037d749f544e
Wiseman & Naï : https://www.geocaching.com/p/?guid=44bae090-4713-45fc-b8b6-cf10b7dbff1d

Problem already raised as a bug here:

Best regards!

Thanks for letting us know and I will create a bug for engineering team to fix this issue.

Edited by onepooja
3 hours ago, onepooja said:

Onepooja, I want to say that the communication in this thread, as well as the response to the reported bugs, have been excellent. I have criticized Groundspeak for both before, so credit where credit’s due.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 2

onepooja,

On Friday, February 11, you listed this bug:

>Figuring out how to show the distance to a cache (from user location) when a user has filtered by a region (should show distance from them, not distance from the middle of the region) 

This has not been fixed, and no longer appears on the list of bugs that the engineering team is working on.  When I search for caches in the State of Washington, it shows distance from some arbitrary point (possibly the center of the state), which is not useful.  I want to be able to see the ones near me, not the ones near Vantage (or wherever the center of Washington is).

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, gsbarnes said:

This has not been fixed, and no longer appears on the list of bugs that the engineering team is working on.  When I search for caches in the State of Washington, it shows distance from some arbitrary point (possibly the center of the state), which is not useful.  I want to be able to see the ones near me, not the ones near Vantage (or wherever the center of Washington is).

I take it back, it appears to be giving distances from the center of the United States (i.e., Kansas somewhere).  This is even more useless than I thought.

• Helpful 1

I did not know of these release notes until after I had posted in another part of the forum so rather than rewrite my post from another forum I will quote it here:

The title of my post explains the problem - I'm in Victoria, BC. The search filter thinks I'm in Fort MacMurray, Alberta.

"Yes, my home location is set in Victoria and has never been changed from its original value. I am trying to create a list of all caches that have more than 90 favourites that are located in Canada. I had previously successfully created a list with more than 100 faves but thought I would future proof it a bit. That's when the trouble started. 

Now, not only is the search center located as the title describes but the list contains no virtual caches at all. I know that to be completely incorrect. After many attempts to change my location I am here hoping someone will have an idea of what is happening."

After reading the whole of this thread it appears that gsbarnes and I aren't the only ones reporting an arbitrary search center and as I mentioned above the search is completely ignoring virtuals. 

• Upvote 1
19 hours ago, onepooja said:

Hello,

Thanks for your feedback, We have reviewed all the feedback that came in since Tuesday, and our engineering team is in the progress of fixing those as soon as possible. We have fixed the below set of bugs with yesterday's release:

1. Placed date filter is showing correct results
  2. Placed and found by filter chips honoring correct user date format
  3. When filtering on found by and found date showing correct results
  4. Solved/posted coordinates shows incorrect filter chip
  5. Encoding errors in Found By username searches
  6. Search results now show caches in kilometers when the user has selected km in preferences
  7. Relative distance calculated using corrected coordinates instead of original coordinates
  8. Distances are being rounded to the next whole number - accuracy lost for nearby caches

1. You can no longer add the first 1000 search results to a list
  2. Filter by geotours attributes occasionally shows caches without geotours icon
  3. Whitespacing issue between the columns on the search result page

I don't know if it's related to this but for the second time in a couple of days the language setting om geocaching.com suddenly switched from Dutch to English (in my case)

Could anyone please confirm if they are getting a different screen to me - attachment one. The screen that I am seeing is not fit for purpose.

If you look at the first cache on the screen, it is south east of me in the UK - South East region but the screen shot of the actual cache shows it to be in UK - East Midlands about 90 miles north west from me. How long is it going to take until the search facility is useable?

BFE339B8-3432-45E7-81D2-68F20A37AA1A.png

2C4FD5F6-E0DA-410E-AD46-8BA3B4F010B9.png

Edited by VangeRover
  • Helpful 1

@VangeRover   It appears you've asked for not found, not owned, Mystery in Region East Midlands. 

These will stack from an  approximate  center point of East Midlands. Map these, and you'll have the option to rank by Distance (near - far) and other ranking options.

If you want Mystery not owned, not found, ranked from your home coords, do that search.

If you want Mystery not owned not found, ranked from your home coords ONLY in East Midlands, a pocket query will do this.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

Hiya Isonzo Karst, 

thanks for responding to me.

I was looking for unfound Challenge caches in the UK. I have done a search of caches found in UK: East Midlands and have added an attachment of the screen shot. Note the distances from me which is practice is about 100 miles. Could you tell me if you see a similar screen to me please or do I have another problem to deal with?

Best wishes

Terry

E464D740-B21D-4486-9857-EAEC6B63161C.png

• Helpful 1

I have just tried a search similar to VangeRover's. My results were all in the 8600km distance but should have been within 100 miles too. I repeated the search in a new page and the distances changed to something more reasonable. 

Searching for caches in North West England region results in caches to the NW and N only suggesting the point of searching is not the centre of the region.

VangeRover, try your search again and see if anything has improved.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, ardila.nl said:

I don't know if it's related to this but for the second time in a couple of days the language setting om geocaching.com suddenly switched from Dutch to English (in my case)

Are you using a certain third-party app with a name that starts with "c:" by any chance?

One of its known side effects is that it switches your language setting on the web site to English. That helps it scrape the data from the web site (which is also how it violates Groundspeak's terms of use, by the way).

But if you want to discuss this unauthorized app, you'll have to do it elsewhere.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1