Release Notes (Website: Enhanced Search Results)

With today’s release, we are making key improvements to the results page after completing a search on Geocaching.com. We’ve also made additions to Search filters on the website for Premium members.

Additions to search filters for Premium members:

• Search for other cacher’s finds with the “Found By” filter which can accommodate up to 10 usernames. Apply the “Find Date” filter to specify a date or range for the search results. Note: the results will stay within the existing 1,000 results limit.

FindDate.png

Improvements to search results:

• Edit search parameters from the top of the results page
  • Two new columns are added to the search results page:
    • Info: displays if a geocache is part of a GeoTour or has an active Needs Maintenance attribute.
    • Trackables: displays whether a cache currently has trackables logged inside it.
    • View the region/country a cache belongs to below the geocache name.
      Location.png

• Click the Favorite point total of a geocache in the search results to view the percentage of Favorite points to find logs: 
      FavoritePoints.png

• Jump to the GeoTour page by clicking on the GeoTour icon:  
      GeoTour.png

Known issues:

• When viewing search results on relatively smaller screens, you may notice comparatively larger whitespace between the columns, as well as fewer visible columns.
  • Currently, in order to see additional columns on smaller screens, select those columns from the dotted overflow menu.

Our team is working on potential solutions to these issues.

Finally, the entire search experience, from filtering to viewing results, is mobile-web friendly so you have the best experience across devices.

Pooja (onepooja) is watching this thread to answer questions whenever possible.

Any posts in this thread should relate to features in this release. Comments unrelated to the release may be removed. Please direct unrelated comments to other appropriate threads. Thanks!

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3

Windows, Firefox.

My player account can no longer see other player's archived caches.  My admin account, palmetto can.  I don't see this as a feature,  nor mentioned in the release notes above. I assume it's a bug.

Thanks for resurrecting the info column

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 3

I just noticed the new look when I wanted to lookup some high favo point caches for this weekend.
I will by playing around with it a bit. I already noticed some things:

• Helpful 1
14 minutes ago, HHL said:

Dates should always respect the user selected date format. :rolleyes:

Difficulty and Terrain use a , as a decimal character in my screenshot but distance uses a .

But if you look at the filters the D/T values use a . again as the decimal separator
dt-decimal2.thumb.png.5b5c89ce0f40e9a4b5559d19fbb35115.png

Edited by ardila.nl
new image
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1

Going back to the map from the search results causes the map to stop working with Error 500 until you change the search filter

1. Search for anything with a filter (it won't break if you don't use a filter)
  2. Click "Map these geocaches"
  3. Click back in the browser until you are back in the search result list
  4. If you click "Map these geocaches" again you keep getting Error 500 until you change something in filters and search again.
    1. In my test I change the favo point minimum from 100 to 99 and that was enough the get the map again
Edited by ardila.nl
  • Helpful 1

Only the first impression

• Although there is enough space on my Laptop screen, some columns are hidden.
    Unbenannt1.thumb.JPG.389962396b70fe1915f4976baa108344.JPG

• The hidden columns can be shown using the three dots. But then other columns disappear. It is not possible to display the two columns Terrain and Difficulty together. Unless I'm using the browser zoom.
  • By default, the Difficulty column is displayed. If I select a different column, the Difficulty column disappears and I cannot select it again as a new column.
    2.thumb.gif.780ed829a3c7d1614192dc5a22284adc.gif

• Nothing happens when I click Filtered by.
    3.thumb.gif.15f48a70c3d07ac898b0e8a726400a9e.gif

• If I click on the three dots, then I have to select one of the columns offered, otherwise the selection screen will no longer be hidden.

To be honest, has anyone tested this?

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 3
15 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Yes, this is problematic for those of us who don't live in the USA.

image.png.ab8eb172230b9298d60b91ab564459c3.png

To me, this looks like it was last found on the 4th of August when it was actually the 8th of April. Forcing American date formats on everyone is unacceptable in this day and age (or really any day and age).

It seems to honor the settings I made in my profile:

https://www.geocaching.com/account/settings/preferences

22830790_Screenshot2022-02-10214325.thumb.png.5efb731f5a0e6b8fe574e18bc684dc71.png

Then  again... What's the difference between these 3?

434243368_Screenshot2022-02-10214626.png.70d9ec03cc5ef59eb34ba8e095f7fed8.png

Edited by ardila.nl
  • Upvote 2

"^ Filtered by" does not do anything in Firefox, it only changes the direction of the arrow.

The last column takes up about 40% of the page width, but it is only one column. I want to see columns "Last Found, Diff, Terrain, and Trackables", I don't need to see "Distance". There is no button for setting specific columns. Maybe bug?

Parameter in adress bar &a=1 or &a=0 (looks like now changed to &sa=1 and &sa=0, estimate based on redirects from the original search), for archived caches are no working, so search results are false. As we can see there or there, both parameters (&sa=1 and &sa=0) claims "Active or archived" (only &sa=0 should display active or archived together), but actually with either of these two parameters we can se only active geocaches.

Column "Last found" is still named "Last found", even if it's displaying "Found date by User".

Also Column "Placed on" is still "Placed on", even if only with events was previously named "Event Date".

Only geocache name is now clickable, previously it was whole piece of column including geocache icon, GC code or owner nickname. Any geocaches are now really hard to open (example).

Search by radius arround GC code from www.geocaching.com/play/search isn't working. For example geocaches these result are more than 500km away from geocache GC5N35Z.

Filter find date does not work as intended. With these filters
obrazek.png.4d21eeea48ed9668f28dbf40a180a2b8.png
I would like to see my finds from this year. But in search results I can see geocaches in radius from my home location, found by me anytime and found by anybody this year.

Edited by KRON family
Another bug
  • Helpful 1
  • Note: the results will stay within the existing 1,000 results limit.

This is a major limitation of the search system

• Info: displays if a geocache is part of a GeoTour or has an active Needs Maintenance attribute.

This is not very helpful, in my opinion, since most caches are NOT part of a GeoTour and a lot of caches that have an active "Needs Maintenance" attribute are owned by inactive or inattentive cache owners.  The first 3 caches I clicked on with the NM attribute appear to be in perfectly fine shape.  It's just that the owner didn't clear the icon.  I don't think it's a helpful feature, if anything it seems distracting and misleading.  

• Trackables: displays whether a cache currently has trackables logged inside it.

I think a small trackable icon on the left hand side would be better than a whole column devoted to this.

This is good!

• Click the Favorite point total of a geocache in the search results to view the percentage of Favorite points to find logs: 

This all looks very bland.

My additional comments:

1. There seems to be a bug in the "home location"?? When I select "home location" from the filter option, it acts like my home is several hundred km from my actual home. 
  2. I agree with the others that searching and mapping archived caches is a very important feature that has been lost. 
  3. I like the option to filter for caches not found by others.  How about an option for caches not owned by others?  When I do a search of mutually unfound caches with friends, their owned caches should not be included in that list. 
  4. I still think there is a lot of white space between rows of geocaches.  This could be compressed significantly to prevent a ton of scrolling.  With the search filling my entire screen, I can only see 8 caches.  Compare that to the old search where I could see 14 caches at once because the rows were more compressed.  
  5. The page option is much better than the infinitely scrollable list.  That is a good change!
  6. Sorting by distance does not work properly.  Mystery caches seem to be out of order.  Maybe a difference between posted coords and actual/saved coords?
  7. Overall I like the filter options, but the list display of the caches following a search is very much inferior to how they were displayed using the old search.  Once again, it feels like this update for the new search result list is much more inefficient (more scrolling, more white space, less info) than the old search / old way of listing caches. 
Edited by brendan714
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 4

Just noticed the change in my mobile phone.

1) Archived caches do not display for me either despite saying so. Column titles seen to be off too: Last found? Do you ever test before shipping stuff? I am not your guinea pig, but a playing customer. Seriously.

2) Your obsession with white-outing result lists leaves only 12 characters for caches titles. Not much, if you want to distinguish titles such as "Powertrail #..." from "Powertrail #..." How about multiple rows or less white? We want to use lists not marvel at them.

3) Infos in the results, such as GC-codes still cannot be copied and pasted (at least on mobile). Annoying.

This is just my first impression. And while this sounds negative, the overall direction seems to be the right one.

Edited by famerlor_dragon
  • Helpful 1

So far after initial use...

* Search results page is not showing in my iOS mobile safari - cannot open the page because the network connection was lost. Don't know if that's you or me. Homepage loads, hitting search to view results, from anywhere, doesn't.

Desktop...

Bugs/Issues:

1. Solved/Original coordinates only label doesn't match filter (with URL having cc=1, "Original coordinates only" label is shown, but the filter and list displays solved coordinates only; cc=0 shows the opposite)

2. Shrinking the browser width, from having 9 columns visible, immediately jumps to only 5 with enormous wasted space, at which point I'll direct to column functionality comments posted above.

Improvements:

3. Having only the title link to the cache is reasonable in and of itself, given the intent to have other row elements clickable (like favourite points), however from the design standpoint there is no indication that the title clickable. No responsive action - no highlight, no underline, no hover - and this applies both passively and actively, for mobile and desktop. It's not clear what row elements are and are not able to be interacted with.

Requests:

4. The option to filter by existence of personal notes has been removed - my prior bookmark list of search results included only showing caches with no personal note. That parameter (&note) has been removed. Please provide that option.

5. Attributes are still in not in any intuitive order. Please make them alphabetical, especially if not in subgroups. (this had been requested long ago)

• Helpful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:4. The option to filter by existence of personal notes has been removed - my prior bookmark list of search results included only showing caches with no personal note. That parameter (&note) has been removed. Please provide that option.

This is a deal breaker for me.

No Personal Note filtering = No Premium Membership. 

• Helpful 1

Initial impressions about the new search page:

• I like the ability to filter based upon caches found by another cacher (previously only could filter by "not found by")
  • I like the ability to allow inclusion of some additional columns, such as "Info" (for caches that need maintenance) and trackables.  It would be better still if some of the columns could be "de-selected" (hidden) so that information that one doesn't need to see can be hidden to make room for columns one does want to see.  This is particularly important if on a narrower screen and the user wants to see both difficulty and terrain columns simultaneously - hiding one of the other columns the user doesn't need at that moment could make room for columns they do care about.

Dislikes:

• The "add to list" feature appears to be missing from this page.  My standard "cache planning" would be to make a list for the caches to find on a given day.  The "add to list" feature on the search results page made that quick and easy.  That was possibly my most commonly used feature of the prior search results page.
  • On my search results, the "Map These Geocaches" option doesn't appear at all.  I thought it was removed completely, but I see it displayed on another user's search results screen that they pasted into this thread.  Maybe there's a bug that doesn't show "Map These Geocaches" all the time?
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
6 minutes ago, solid-rock-seekers said:

Dislikes:

• The "add to list" feature appears to be missing from this page.  My standard "cache planning" would be to make a list for the caches to find on a given day.  The "add to list" feature on the search results page made that quick and easy.  That was possibly my most commonly used feature of the prior search results page.
  • On my search results, the "Map These Geocaches" option doesn't appear at all.  I thought it was removed completely, but I see it displayed on another user's search results screen that they pasted into this thread.  Maybe there's a bug that doesn't show "Map These Geocaches" all the time?

I'm seeing both the Add to list and the Map these geocaches buttons:

image.png.a2e80e5369bcf74203d8a7724592a0d6.png

The Add to list button becomes ungreyed out as soon as I tick the left-hand box next to any of the caches in the list.

Maybe it's a browser issue; I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.

• Helpful 2
Just now, barefootjeff said:

I'm seeing both the Add to list and the Map these geocaches buttons:

image.png.a2e80e5369bcf74203d8a7724592a0d6.png

The Add to list button becomes ungreyed out as soon as I tick the left-hand box next to any of the caches in the list.

Maybe it's a browser issue; I'm using Firefox on Windows 10.

Thanks!  OK, I figured out what is going on...  If there is a filter for "Found by: (user)" being used, then the "Add to List" and "Map these geocaches" buttons disappear.  With the new search, I had been using only searches with "Found by: (user)" so I wasn't seeing those buttons.  When that element of the filter is removed, then those buttons appear!

• Helpful 1

As previously mentioned, it's disappointing I can no longer see archived caches hidden by firends or even from my own list of finds.  Every event I've attended I can now no longer see the cache page. Please bring this feature back. There are many reasons to look at archived caches including puzzle solving. The filter says 'Active or Archived" but all you get is active with no way to choose just archived and no way to show both 'Active AND Archived'. I wish there was some way to allow beta testers to try these features first and provide feeback before they were rolled out to everyone. 

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Geocaching HQ said:

With today’s release, we are making key improvements to the results page

Improvements to search results:

• Edit search parameters from the top of the results page
  • Two new columns are added to the search results page:
      Location.png

Bless you...  This was really needed with questions in the forums, and those of us who border other states.

Very cool.  :)

• Helpful 1
5 hours ago, solid-rock-seekers said:

Thanks!  OK, I figured out what is going on...  If there is a filter for "Found by: (user)" being used, then the "Add to List" and "Map these geocaches" buttons disappear.  With the new search, I had been using only searches with "Found by: (user)" so I wasn't seeing those buttons.  When that element of the filter is removed, then those buttons appear!

Is this to be expected? Am I not allowed to list or map caches that are found by someone specific, including myself? For the life of me, I can't figure out why it would be like that. Is it some kind of misguided privacy thing, a fear that you could figure out where someone lives by plotting their finds on the map?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, ChriBli said:

Is this to be expected? Am I not allowed to list or map caches that are found by someone specific, including myself? For the life of me, I can't figure out why it would be like that. Is it some kind of misguided privacy thing, a fear that you could figure out where someone lives by plotting their finds on the map?

Good luck to anyone trying to deduce that from my finds, as most in recent years have been more than 50km from home as that's where all the caches are. Mapping someone's hides, which we can still do I think, would give a better clue since there are limits on how far from home we can place caches, but identifying their street number would still be a bit of a stretch.

• Helpful 1

Use of "Home Location" in filters does not work. 

For example: I'm looking for a cache in our capital, Prague. I see caches in Prague.

Then I open the filters, delete Prague and select Home location.
obrazek.png.55dccbc87efca8a537583038ec762301.png

After clicking Apply I see geocaches in British Columbia on this link.

After copying the address and opening it in a new tab, it is automatically redirected to this link. Now I see geocaches in Mauritius.

Same problem is with Current Location. Again, I see geocaches in British Columbia.

Distance is also kind of weird. For example - cache search in Prague. First geocache is supposedly 368,5km from Prague. Actually it is 68 meters away from coordinates set by searching.
obrazek.png.d64dddfb6a9cc6474bd36cd61a43f629.png

If the cache is exactly at the coordinates (for example, when searching nearby geocaches from any) there is NaN km instead of Here.

Although the address bar changes each time you change your search filters, Firefox still takes it as the same page.

Example: I'm looking for event caches in Prague.
I don't see anything interesting, I'm changing the filter.
Wait, there was something interesting! I'm pressing back button in Firefox obrazek.png.36dd00286d9a8c60de7ed0bae1916c03.png
And I'm totally back at main page. There is no way to get back to the previous search.

Error 500 (when trying to show on the map ) is caused by a missing question mark.

Example: already mentioned search in Prague has a map view button pointing to
https://www.geocaching.com/play/map&lat=50.06694&lng=14.46025
The correct link should be
https://www.geocaching.com/play/map?lat=50.06694&lng=14.46025

Trackables count is not true.
Example: this search says that the most trackables (19) is on GC9KZNH. Actually there is not a single one.

obrazek.png.b70c6e09ed537a9dd6de58cf57234b71.png

EDITED after 6 hours: Now it shows the real number. Maybe it was because of API data, updated once a day?

When using links from my public profile, tab geocaches:

Finds has not options add to list or view on map.
obrazek.png.e3f5189c53c8dae755af6a5a44bee91f.png

Hides have a View on map button, but without any parameters. It means link is pointing to https://www.geocaching.com/play/map only.

If Regional Search is called, Distance is lost mostly.

For example: If I choose only Fill in your D/T grid, I'll have these results. Now I want to specify that I only want the results from Czechia. Results from Germany are gone (great), but distance from my home coordinates too.

obrazek.png.34bd96c980f93aff207d834d330bde86.png

And now beware:

If I want to search all caches in Czechia and I'll enter it at results page, it is without distance.
If I want to search all caches in Czechia and I'll enter it at input page, it is without distance.

If I want to search all caches in Liberecký kraj, Czechia and I'll enter it at results page, it is without distance.

If I want to search all caches in Liberecký kraj, Czechia and I'll enter it at input page, distance is displayed! But it's not the distance from the home coordinates, it's not the distance from the county town. It is the distance from the center of the area, as in the case of entering a city name. Personally, I think the regional search (countries, states, regions) should show the distance from HC.

If isn't possible to find any caches that matched, FAQ link refers to this blog post. But there is written about the old search, removed yesterday and replaced by this new one. Most of the screens in this blog post are out of date.

Edited by KRON family
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, Twinklekitkat said:

As previously mentioned, it's disappointing I can no longer see archived caches hidden by firends or even from my own list of finds.  Every event I've attended I can now no longer see the cache page. Please bring this feature back. There are many reasons to look at archived caches including puzzle solving. The filter says 'Active or Archived" but all you get is active with no way to choose just archived and no way to show both 'Active AND Archived'. I wish there was some way to allow beta testers to try these features first and provide feeback before they were rolled out to everyone. 

This!

For my own use cases of the search, the missing archived caches is a serious bug. Please fix it asap - thanks!

As for the horrible (over-)use of whitespace, I've given up complaining about that. Nowadays, nice "clean" looks seem to be preferable to actual information :( .

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, ChriBli said:

I demand to see at least the full (including archived), chronological list of my own found and hidden caches!

All of your owned caches: https://www.geocaching.com/my/owned.aspx

Your finds are available via MyFinds PQ, or by using a log type link, you'd need Found it, Attended, WebcamPhoto taken:

https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=2
https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=10
https://www.geocaching.com/my/logs.aspx?s=1&lt=11

all links available from your profile.    Apologies for the somewhat off topic post, but I wanted to let COs know that they CAN see their own archived.  

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Your finds are available via MyFinds PQ, or by using a log type link, you'd need Found it, Attended, WebcamPhoto taken:

all links available from your profile.    Apologies for the somewhat off topic post, but I wanted to let COs know that they CAN see their own archived.  

And there is the cache owner dashboard too. But you cannot see it in the search, the regular landing page, if you come from your public profile (for example if you only want to all of a specific cache type).

It's really terrible that there are so many (fatal) bugs in every new release. Testing is an important part of programming because no one can write a program that is perfect the first time. And it should be tested BEFORE release.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 4

I was unpleasantly surprised today by the search page revisions.  To suggest this update is a hot mess is an understatement.  Here are some of the issues I quickly discovered.

Too much white space, too little data.

D/T ratings are not shown automatically.

Searching by US state does not respect the home location or a selected location.  Distance appears to be arbitrary from some unknown point. Deleting location in the filter will give a distance from Seattle or from some other arbitrary location.

Distances are sometimes shown in feet (13,080 feet from GZ for example), sometimes miles.

Sorting by date placed brings up ALL new caches, not respecting a geographic boundary such as a state boundary.  

Respectfully, this update needs to be rolled back to the previous version.  This and all updates needs to be beta tested by actual users before public release.  This update has the smell of the work done in years past by the huge Seattle based software company where close enough was close enough and things did not have to work well.  This update may eventually work, but right now is horribly disappointing and not ready for public use.  

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 3
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

That first link is the only one that works like before, available with one click from the (old) dashboard, and I agree it shows me also my achived caches (and presumably my 1,001st, if I had had that many). But that is just because it still uses the good old "search", and who knows how long that's going to be available? One goal of this discussion must be to try to get the new search usable also for these purposes, as it seems there's where we're heading. And I can not use this link to see a complete list of someone else's hides, then I have to know the magic link to the old search. Which, again, may disappear.

Obviously I will not use a PQ just to access my own find list. Those links area available on the dashboard, but they don't really tell me what I want. First of all, I can not get a list containing all these three types of find-type logs without also including DNF, Write Note and whatnot. Second, it is not paged and it is therefore impossible to tell which my 137:th find was, for example. Third, it uses some variant of the old search result format, slightly mangled, and if it was impossible to keep this by far superior format for the new search, then why should it stay here. Finally, I can't do this for other user's find lists.  

• Helpful 1

The Results page for this modification is very disappointing. I work with a 17-inch monitor that does not display anything useful - and does not have persistent settings.

I concur with those who suggest this should be rolled-back until it is corrected and improved. Even then I would give consideration to maintaining the prior Results page as an option.

• Helpful 2
22 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Windows, Firefox.

My player account can no longer see other player's archived caches.  My admin account, palmetto can.  I don't see this as a feature,  nor mentioned in the release notes above. I assume it's a bug.

Thanks for resurrecting the info column

Yes, filter says 'active or archived' but no archived visible. Irritating.

• Helpful 1

I had some time to check on challenge caches I might qualify for in Edmonton, AB. So I searched around one i know about and chose a 20 km radius for mystery caches with challenge in the name. In the photo, you can see I get over 32,000 results and all in Germany. So it seems the search is still acting rather arbitrarily.

GC search issues.png

4 minutes ago, mrcanoehead224 said:

So it seems the search is still acting rather arbitrarily.

Earlier this evening I did a search for all caches within 16km of my home location (Southern UK) and it produced a search centred on Alberta, Canada; I refreshed the search and this time it chose Mauritius; third time lucky and I got a search based on my home.

So I would agree definitely arbitrary/random/weird.

• Helpful 1

If I search for caches with the "GeoTour" attribute, some of them do not have this attribute listed in the search results.

obrazek.png.f7c715b03a4377bbb3df30e52ea403ae.png

If I search for caches found by me on a specific date, selected date is automatically changed (and it also shows erroneous data, but I mentioned this in one of the previous posts).

obrazek.png.0dd698d11741e6d02a9db87243b58650.png

If a player's nickname contains an ampersand, this nickname is not offered for selection.

obrazek.png.fa3c4c2dcdb044f530ad02f040d71262.png

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, KRON family said:

If a player's nickname contains an ampersand, this nickname is not offered for selection.

This is not new to this release.  Though getting it fixed as part of general bug squashes would be nice.

There  is a workaround, use %26 for the ampersan.  Image below illustrates the form offering Ponik & Team on my entering Ponik %26 T

ampersand workaround.jpg

• Helpful 1
3 hours ago, me N u said:

Echoing the request to have the date format as per personal preferences - we use UK date format (DD/MM/YY) and are not, and have no intention of ever being American!

Forgot all the other weird behaviours of which there any many this needs to be drilled into designers, developers, testers. YOU MUST TEST INTERNATIONAL FORMATS BEFORE ANYTHING SEES THE LIGHT OF DAY. 
ROLL BACK PLEASE.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 3

I don't like the changed display of geocaches at all. It is also flawed.

1. I want to see both the difficulty and the terrain score at the same time.

I want to see when the cache is hidden and when it is last found.

Now I can only choose one of the four options. This is confusing and cumbersome.

2. I have over 5.000 finds. In the list 2.708 are displayed - but then there are only 1000.

3. the distances are partly wrong. A cache that is 140 meters away is 753.2 km away according to the list!

I would like the previous view again. So this is no fun!!!

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
14 hours ago, ChriBli said:

I don't think it's expected.  I think it's a bug that the "add to list" and "map caches" buttons disappear when using the "Found by: (user)" filter.  Sorry if my note implied that I thought that it was okay -- rather, I found why I was not seeing those buttons and somebody else was seeing them.  

It's still a bug that the "add to list" and "map caches" buttons disappear.

• Helpful 1