Down loading caches to my GPS

Spacey56

47 minutes ago, Spacey56 said:

I just got a new Montana 700 GPS and I was able to down load caches to it before and then delete them just to see how it worked. Now I can't get them down loaded again even different ones. They go to a GPX folder but don't show up on my GPS. What am I doing wrong?

Sometimes the filters on a new GPS are set up in a way that filters out the caches you expected to see.  Sometimes a filter or two gets set by surprise.

Another issue on modern Garmins is that Geocaches that are farther than about 60 miles from where the GPS thinks it is, are not automatically shown on screen. 

Edited by kunarion

I opened up all the filters, and then tried to down load my own caches that I have hidden right here in town, still nothing. As long as I keep my Montana hooked up with the USB, I can see what's in there and the folder fro "My Hides" is there they just don't show up in a list, so I can choose which one I want to search for. I always get a message that says "Garmin Express can not open files of this type."  I had to edit my first reply, sorry.

Edited by Spacey56
3 hours ago, Spacey56 said:

I opened up all the filters, and then tried to down load my own caches that I have hidden right here in town, still nothing. As long as I keep my Montana hooked up with the USB, I can see what's in there and the folder fro "My Hides" is there they just don't show up in a list, so I can choose which one I want to search for. I always get a message that says "Garmin Express can not open files of this type."  I had to edit my first reply, sorry.

That error might be a problem ("Garmin Express can not open files of this type"). What exactly are you doing when that error is shown?

What is the current software version of your Montana? Does Garmin Express tell you it's up to date?

What kind of computer are you using? What web browser?

Looks like the current version of Garmin Express is 7.11.0.0. Is that the version you're using?

I guess you're using “Send To Garmin” to send Lists (and/or individual caches)? I tried that on my PC in Brave Browser just now with Garmin Express open, and when I start to send a cache or List, a notice pops up “Allow Garmin Express”, replaced by an error window “Garmin Express Not Detected”. Garmin Express then pops up its own window “Content Ready to Download” and it waits for me to click Continue, at which point the GPX file is sent to my Garmin Oregon just fine. All the weird popups are new, but it otherwise works. Anyway, Send To Garmin is a little more fussy than it was previously. Not sure how it may be affecting what you're doing.

The point where you said:

“As long as I keep my Montana hooked up with the USB, I can see what's in there and the folder fro "My Hides" is there they just don't show up in a list”

Do you mean the GPX File of a List named “My Hides” is shown in the Garmin/GPX folder of your GPS in your File Explorer, but the caches in that file are not on the GPS itself when you look at the map?  Are the file extensions specifically ".GPX" when they arrive in the GPX folder?

Sending caches and Lists with “Send To Garmin” is fine. It should work. But I never bother with that because it adds a level of complexity to any issue of getting caches to appear on my GPS. I just download the zipped Pocket Query and unzip it, or the individual GPX cache file and manually place them into the GPX folder (along with deleting old files while I'm at it). So I only see the weird new errors of the day when I try “Send To Garmin”. It's probably fine, but I'd never know if it was completely broken, because I don't use it. In fact, that's one reason that I don't use it.  :anicute: