Premium members being told not to take non premium members to PO caches?

SoHotImCool

Hi.  Bit of an odd one for you. I've just been speaking to another cacher, who is premium, and he's advised me that premium cachers are being told not to take non premiums to log premium caches when they go out together. 

Apparently this has come from someone who was a reviewer in our area, because it's "not in the spirit of the game".  I thought the spirit of the game was to join in and have fun, not exclude people from the game.  

Can someone please tell me what is going on and whether this is right? If it is, why can NP members still log PO caches?

Edited by SoHotImCool
Typo
  • Surprised 4
2 minutes ago, SoHotImCool said:

Hi.  Bit of an odd one for you. I've just been speaking to another cacher, who is premium, and he's advised me that premium cachers are being told not to take non premiums to log premium caches when they go out together. 

Apparently this has come from someone who was a reviewer in our area, because it's "not in the spirit of the game".  I thought the spirit of the game was to join in and have fun, not exclude people from the game.  

Can someone please tell me what is going on and whether this is right? If it is, why can NP members still log PO caches?

That's crazy talk!

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
5 minutes ago, SoHotImCool said:

That's ridiculous...   

If that was true, families with kids and separate accounts would have to have more than two, separate Premium Memberships. :)

In fact, there's well-known alternate methods to log PMO caches because of that.  Please explain to the "other cacher" how silly they are...   

I'd like to speak to that "other cacher", as every known hoarder and most cache maggots we're aware of were PMs at the time.

I don't believe for one minute this nonsense came from a Reviewer...  

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, SoHotImCool said:

why can NP members still log PO caches?

Besides the obvious, and not restricted to only families, a temp PM can be given to any basic member that has never been a PM before by Geocaching HQ.

Good for a week, so prepare.  If me, I'd load every PMO cache while that temp PM is good and find them much later.  :D

Also, a promotion some time ago allowed basic members a temp PM while it was going on.

Sometimes Groundspeak ticks me off...  "Helpful" updates that make it tougher for me, a dyslexic old fart, to cache. 

- I've gone back to basic a few times.  At which time does that "other cacher" think I should log caches I loaded maybe a week before?  ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

My reviewer told me that I shouldn't find basic member caches because I'm a premium member.  Makes finding caches tough as there aren't as many premium caches.  ;)

So that's what I'm doing wrong! None of my caches are PMO but they're all either non-traditional or have too high a D/T rating to be visible on the app to basic members. No wonder they don't get many finders as the PMs shun them and the BMs can't see them.

• Funny 4
12 hours ago, SoHotImCool said:

What you describe here directly contradicts the written guidance provided to Community Volunteer Reviewers by Geocaching HQ.  It is just fine for premium and basic members to cache together, and for the basic member to log their online finds for PMO caches using one of several available "back door" methods.  (It's really more of a side porch door, with a screen but no lock.)

• Upvote 4
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 3

I'm going to hazard a guess someone misconstrued a Reviewer's comment to mean something other than what was intended.

If this were something PMs were really "being told" then it would be something Groundspeak would have broadcast or at least put in the Guidelines, not something you'd only hear fourth-hand.

• Upvote 2
On 2/11/2022 at 5:12 AM, Keystone said:

It is just fine for premium and basic members to cache together, and for the basic member to log their online finds for PMO caches using one of several available "back door" methods.

TERMS OF USE AGREEMENT

2. Use of Our Services

D. Restrictions. Permission to use our services is subject to the following restrictions. You agree not to:

iii. Abuse or exploit bugs, undocumented features, design errors, or problems in our services

Does this mean that these "back doors" are officially documented somewhere because othervice using them is against the TUI or at least not in the spirit of the game.

Edited by arisoft
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
10 hours ago, arisoft said:

Does this mean that these "back doors" are officially documented somewhere because othervice using them is against the TUI or at least not in the spirit of the game.

Well, if you enter geocachingadmin.com and click on "Help Center", "Frequently asked questions", or any others, they all go to Geocaching.com.

When you click on "your profile", it automatically goes to your profile., so yeah... I'd call that "official".   

The top of the page says, "Geocaching.com Quick Links"...

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1