Fake rock cache rehab

ad5smith

2 minutes ago, lee737 said:

3D printer comes to mind.....

That's my thought - my son has one and has done some amazing gadget caches with it.  He's also "printed" replacement parts for various household items; the bottom to a fake rock would be something he could do. 

Maybe a friend near you has one?  

18 minutes ago, ad5smith said:

I replaced a cache today that was a fake rock. The bottom, pull from bottom not slide, is damaged and not able to sit correctly. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the bottom cover? 

IMG_20220209_231812.jpg

The rectangular cover looks OK.  If it’s broken, a piece of tupperware plastic may do.  Could you drill a hole in the corner and into the fake rock, and install a screw there?  Then the cover would swivel away to open the compartment.  If you’re crafty, you could add a 2nd screw in the opposite corner, designed so the cover slides under that 2nd screw to make it close more securely.

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, kunarion said:

The rectangular cover looks OK.  If it’s broken, a piece of tupperware plastic may do.  Could you drill a hole in the corner and into the fake rock, and install a screw there?  Then the cover would swivel away to open the compartment.  If you’re crafty, you could add a 2nd screw in the opposite corner, designed so the cover slides under that 2nd screw to make it close more securely.

My wife was just saying how putting a hinge on the cover. But that seemed like overkill. I like your idea. I have a drill press so this would be an easier option 

• Helpful 1
37 minutes ago, ad5smith said:

I replaced a cache today that was a fake rock. The bottom, pull from bottom not slide, is damaged and not able to sit correctly. Has anyone found a suitable replacement for the bottom cover? 

IMG_20220209_231812.jpg

I've had similar problems as yours with my fake rocks. The ones with the swivel tend to last much longer in my experience.

My husband once went out to a park and grab FTF.

He returned home and said he found it but couldn't get it open. "I didn't have a screwdriver!"

Screenshot_20220209-235147.png

• Funny 1
13 hours ago, ad5smith said:

We had two of those in a series once, and later one carped out (same as you), and the other still fine.

We have cases of plastic electrical gang boxes.  Almost identical to kunarion, I simply cut from a box plate to fit slightly larger than the opening.  

After drilling a hole slightly smaller to fit, used a stainless sheet metal screw to swivel it closed.  

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

We had two of those in a series once, and later one carped out (same as you), and the other still fine.

We have cases of plastic electrical gang boxes.  Almost identical to kunarion, I simply cut from a box plate to fit slightly larger than the opening.  

After drilling a hole slightly smaller to fit, used a stainless sheet metal screw to swivel it closed.  

Hello cerberus1, could you post here some pics, please.

21 hours ago, ad5smith said:

IMG_20220209_231812.jpg

Can you give some measurements/description of the log holder in the rock? Looks like a micro - big enough for a watertight matchstick holder?

12 hours ago, Lostboy1966 said:

Can you give some measurements/description of the log holder in the rock? Looks like a micro - big enough for a watertight matchstick holder?

I've often seen those fake rocks with a little bison tube inside the compartment.  The space tapers and is too small for a match tube, but could be carved a bit. 

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

I've often seen those fake rocks with a little bison tube inside the compartment.  The space tapers and is too small for a match tube, but could be carved a bit. 

One we had, had a zip lock bag inside.  That's it.  We used a bison tube.

The other (the one that busted) had a zip bag too, but the inside cavity fit a snap-in lid film can.

If the cavity was only a bit longer, we'd be able to use a matchstick holder. Used a bison in that one too...

On 2/12/2022 at 2:33 AM, 4heberts said:

Maybe glue a washer inside and a magnet onto one of those test strip containers (we have hundreds of them friends keep giving them to us)

I have done the reverse. Epoxy resin a magnet in the rock then use a container that is metal or has a small piece of metal attached. I use powerful magnets that I pull out of junked hard drives.

• Upvote 2