How do you hang your bird houses?

BunHeads

I found some weatherproof bungee cord.  I wrap one around a tree at the top of the birdhouse, and one at the bottom, with eyelets to loop the bungee cord.  Then I cinch it tight and lock the cord with zip ties (also UV outdoor quality).  On one birdhouse, I also looped a plastic coated gardening wire over a branch, for extra security.

My plan doesn't always work very well. On one cache, with the bungee cord as loose as possible to still support the birdhouse, there were visible scars becoming evident in the pine tree bark as the tree grew.  In only a few months.  In a nature area.  I tried moving the cords, then archived that cache.  Hardwoods seem better suited for this mount method.  But it depends on a lot of things.

Edited by kunarion
Speling

This isn't a bird house but I'd probably do something similar if I was hanging one of those. I used a length of chain inserted into plastic tubing, with the ends cable-tied to the mounting ring on the bison tube. I've allowed enough slack in the chain for any likely tree growth over the coming years and can always use a longer length if it starts becoming a problem.

CacheInPosition.thumb.jpg.8ae6b2685737fd1d984842619094420b.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lee737 said:

Cable tie to a loop on the roof, or wire around the tree through back of house....

The single birdhouse cache we have hidden uses this method; small holes drilled in the back of the "birdhouse", wire looped around the tree branch and twist/tightened inside the house.  No changes made to the tree, and it holds the house in place securely.

Edited by CAVinoGal
typo corrections